I like weird/unique stuff, would like help finding a flashlight

nitetimeistheritetime

Newly Enlightened
I would like some help finding an unusual flashlight. I mean something that either looks really strange or emits a color of light that is uncommon, or has a unique mode of operation. Preferably $50 or less, but I could go a bit more if it's really cool. Also would like it to be a "good" flashlight in it's own right, ie: Brightness, or runtime, or some other quality so that it isn't just a novelty. I have a Quark AA, a Pentagon MOLLE, Fenix E1, and a few others to give an example of what I already have, so I definitely mean something apart from the popular, well made, albeit normal lights I already have. Thank you in advance cpf'ers:)

duboost

Enlightened
in that price range, maybe the new fenix mc10? Or nailbender has green or red and even uv (i think) p60 drop ins if you wanted something with a different color? :shrug:

nitetimeistheritetime

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the eternallight tip, also, Duboost, I really don't know where to find user-made stuff on here so I'd really appreciate a link to the nailbender page for the P60 dropin. Thank you!

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I got back from Tucson a month ago. Was in a ACE hardware store and came across a "Scorpion UV Flashlight". Scorpions will glow under UV so it's supposed to help you avoid them or find them. Purple flashlight with purple light output. :eek: 3 AAA batteries with a carrier. Didn't see any scorpions but did come across a tarantula. Unfortunately they don't glow under UV. :(

nitetimeistheritetime

Newly Enlightened
hmm, the proton is just plain cool, not really strange though unless I missed something. Also thanks for the scorpion finder tip, thats really cool and I might be able to use it when I get out of the border patrol academy.

Burgess

Flashaholic
The new, just-announced, Fenix Angle-head.

I'm waiting for it to become available in Yellow.

:popcorn:
_

fyrstormer

Banned
Oh man. If you want a unique mode of operation, you want Piston Drive. Unfortunately the guy who invented it isn't making them anymore, but he's licensed the technology to Nitecore and Arc Flashlight for further development. If I wanted just one, I'd get one of the Nitecore SmartPD flashlights.

Basically the way Piston Drive works is the outer battery tube contains another tube inside of it, which is movable via a button that sticks out the back of the light. You press on that button, and the inner battery tube gets pushed up against electrical contacts in the head of the light, which completes the circuit and turns the light on -- or you can tighten the head of the light to accomplish the same thing. So it's a clicky and a twisty in one. Nitecore's version is a little more complicated, but fortunately they have videos explaining how to use it. Definitely unique. I own 4 Piston Drive lights and they all instantly became members of the Permanent Collection as soon as I got them.

nitetimeistheritetime

Newly Enlightened
yeah, the the anglehead fenix looks awesome burgess, going to get one of those eventually. Also the D10 does look awesome, love the esoteric tech behind it. And thanks for the scorp light link light sabre.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's the UV Proton Pro. :)

A few of my favorite weird/unique lights:

• LumaRay
  • HelioTek
  • the aforementioned Eternalights
  • Zzz...Light
  • Tank Light from the Sandwich Shoppe
And I have my eye on the new Energizer Night Strike Handheld. It reminds me of the old Sanyo twin-beam aviator light my grandmother had (that was the beginning of this hobby/obsession for me).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
This little guy has seven red/green/blue LEDs, and they all change color randomly, sometimes slowly shifting and other times changing in an instant, each asynchronous from the other in a chaotic miasma. Turning it on in a dark room is basically like being in a Doors video..

$45-ish from Peak

Peak1.jpg

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
This little guy has seven red/green/blue LEDs, and they all change color randomly, sometimes slowly shifting and other times changing in an instant, each asynchronous from the other in a chaotic miasma. Turning it on in a dark room is basically like being in a Doors video..

$45-ish from Peak

Peak1.jpg

got a link to it?

or the exact model?

bstrickler

Enlightened
I got back from Tucson a month ago. Was in a ACE hardware store and came across a "Scorpion UV Flashlight". Scorpions will glow under UV so it's supposed to help you avoid them or find them. Purple flashlight with purple light output. :eek: 3 AAA batteries with a carrier. Didn't see any scorpions but did come across a tarantula. Unfortunately they don't glow under UV. :(

You don't really find many scorpions in tucson, unless you're wandering through desert areas, or are well outide the main part of the city, and even then, you have to search for them before you'll find one (you're more likely to come across a homeless person, though).

I don't bother buying any 5mm UV lights, anyways, since I still have some 5mm UV LEDS (along with every other color under the rainbow)

kramer5150

Flashaholic

StarHalo

Flashaholic
got a link to it?

or the exact model?

Anyone think this is an ok gift for a little nephew?

It's a Peak McKinley hard anodized pocket body, RGB LEDs, with Ultra Power option.

I wouldn't recommend it for a child just because of the 123 cell format; this will completely drain a fresh cell in about an hour, unless you're a flashaholic who knows where to buy them, that could get very expensive.

For a kid I'd go with the Eternalight Rave'n2.