L-Mini II

glenda17

Enlightened
I've tried a lot of different EDC flashlights and this L-Mini II is the best for my needs. Why are there so few small form factor 1860 lights? Are there any this size with a P7 or other quad die LED ?

M16

Newly Enlightened
L-mini II XR-E = Throw Beam
L-mini II MC-E = Flood Beam

:grin2:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I've tried a lot of different EDC flashlights and this L-Mini II is the best for my needs. Why are there so few small form factor 1860 lights? Are there any this size with a P7 or other quad die LED ?

Probably heat buildup. Flashlight designers have to consider worst case use by their customers. So imagine leaving the light on HI, and falling asleep with it wrapped up in a blanket. I can't imagine running an XR-E higher than 1A under such conditions. Maybe... 1.3A for an MC-E or P7. So it certainly wouldn't be a very bright light (by quad die standards).

Under-driving quad-die emitters is not a very popular heat control solution on CPF, so such a light would not sell very well.

I think you could base a design off the XP-E-Q5. My P100C2 emits around 180L and only draws .85A from a 17670. I am guessing it pushes the emitter with .~75A, so its an easy load for an 18650. It also runs noticeably cooler than my other XR-E lights that draw ~1.3A.

You could easily DIY/mod a light (trustfire TR-8XX for example) and hit the XR-E with 1.4A, but you would not be able to leave it ON for long duration. **edit** I modded some small tube-lights for bigchelis each pushing an XR-E with about 1.15A. He runs them for LONG time periods in a Fenix headlamp/clamp setup... so far they are doing fine using non-IMR 18650 cells, although they do get very warm even at ~1.15A.

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably heat buildup. Flashlight designers have to consider worst case use by their customers. So imagine leaving the light on HI, and falling asleep with it wrapped up in a blanket. I can't imagine running an XR-E higher than 1A under such conditions. .

auto shut off after 3 minutes or some other clever electronic programming ?

recDNA

Flashaholic
auto shut off after 3 minutes or some other clever electronic programming ?

I'd like one with the driver designed so it can run on high for 15 minutes without burning my hand. I'd give up 100 lumens for that.

recDNA

Flashaholic

Does anybody have the L Mini II MC-E in stock now?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression that the L-mini II MC-E was not ever intended to go into "mass production." Only a few were made and sold right when the L-mini II came out, but because of the small size, heat issues are inevitable, and Shiningbeam didn't want to sell lights that people could easily break if they left on for too long.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I was under the impression that the L-mini II MC-E was not ever intended to go into "mass production." Only a few were made and sold right when the L-mini II came out, but because of the small size, heat issues are inevitable, and Shiningbeam didn't want to sell lights that people could easily break if they left on for too long.

Yup, that is exactly the case. After being petitioned by a few of us, he somewhat hesitantly agreed to look into the option and it sounds like there will be some made. Of course, this goes with the very large disclaimer that they are only for serious CPFers who should know exactly what they want and what they are getting.

recDNA

Flashaholic

Oh, I see that makes sense. I just love floody lights so I would have used it on medium.

How about the R2 version? Are they available?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yup, that is exactly the case. After being petitioned by a few of us, he somewhat hesitantly agreed to look into the option and it sounds like there will be some made. Of course, this goes with the very large disclaimer that they are only for serious CPFers who should know exactly what they want and what they are getting.

They're OK on medium though right?