Surefire Lifetime warranty *All SF users please come*

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recent came across some "SF vs other" debates like usual, and i figured out that many people had claimed things like.... "you break, they fix" etc etc type of claims.

I looked at the warranty according to SF and:

ILLUMINATION TOOLS WARRANTY
SureFire, LLC warrants our illumination tool products to be free from defect in workmanship and materials, including any LEDs housed within, for the lifetime of the original owner. We will repair, replace, or refund your original purchase price of this product, at our discretion, if it is determined by us to be defective. Electronics, chargers, and rechargeable batteries are covered for a period of two years with proof of purchase. Normal wear and tear — including lamps burning out, batteries draining, and switches wearing out — is not covered, nor is damage resulting from abuse, neglect, battery leakage, use of other than SureFire-brand batteries or accessories, or altering this product from its original state. SureFire offers a 10-year limited warranty in any country or under any jurisdiction where specific restrictions exist on limited lifetime warranties.
http://www.surefire.com/guarantee
Now according to the warranty as stated above, normal wear and tear is not covered by Surefire.

Now my question is very simple:

From your experience, have your ever damaged a SF resulting from abuse or neglect or battery leakage or use of other than SureFire-brand batteries, they knew about it and still honor the warranty?

For people in Australia (I'm from Australia), what are your experiences with Surefire like in the past when it comes to claiming warranty?

Now strictly this is about Surefire's CUSTOMER SERVICE, if you want to talk about anything else, the door is *that way* lovecpf

Why am I making this thread? I'm thinking of buying a SF badly, what would be the "deal maker"? Warranty would be the last hurdle as I had in many different times heard about SF's mixed customer service quality for non-US customers.

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Lifetime warranty

oh poop, sorry, mods, i think i posted this in the wrong section. *FAIL*

Can you move it to General Flashlights or wherever you think is appropriate? thank you.

buickid

Enlightened

In my experience, they don't really question you too much as to what happened. I had a 6P's lens shot out playing airsoft (like paintball except with 6mm diameter plastic BBs). I called up Surefire, the conversation went down something like this:
SF: Hello how may I help you?
Me: I have a 6P, and the lens is cracked.
SF: How did this happen?
Me: Something hit it.
SF: How old is your light?
Me: Oh, about a year or so.
SF: Alright, we'll get a new one out to you, let me just get some information.
Me: Cool. :twothumbs

I also mentioned the o-rings on my E2E were feeling a little loose of late, and they said "We'll get some of those out to you too". Top notch service! At least in the US :) IIRC, the parts came real quick, a week tops.

Howecollc

Enlightened

"Normal wear and tear — including lamps burning out, batteries draining, and switches wearing out — is not covered"

The warranty plainly states that they don't cover switches, yet I had read plenty of posts here about people getting free replacements from Surefire CS. So, I called them on the phone, told them my L4's switch had gone out, and they sent me a new one within about 10 days. They never even requested that I send them the old switch.

They also later replaced a LuxV KL4 head for me that wasn't even completely out, just had dimmed considerably over the years. I, however, did think it best not to mention that I had been using RCR17670s in it for 4 1/2 years. Their warranty policy seems pretty liberal to me.

Last edited:

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
I finally called up SF customer service last week about my damaged E1B pocket clip ... they said they would be shipping one out right away! SF seems to be pretty conservative ... they understate OTF lumens and they understate their warranty coverage!

Superdave

Enlightened
ILLUMINATION TOOLS WARRANTY
SureFire, LLC warrants our illumination tool products to be free from defect in workmanship and materials.

That's how most of the tailcaps get replaced, they were considered defective. SF has replaced a couple for me in the past. The new versions continue to work great.

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
I've had my surefire L4 for 3 years now with no serious problems. I broke my pocket clip when it got caught on my computer chair as I sat down. I left a comment on the SF website asking if could purchase a new clip. Customer service wrote back asking for my address and I received a new clip 4-5 days later. No questions.:twothumbs

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
I know SureFire sends orings and clips, but what about lube in a tiny tube? I could use some and I'd be awesome if they covered lube. :D

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
I know SureFire sends orings and clips, but what about lube in a tiny tube? I could use some and I'd be awesome if they covered lube. :D

I would be willing to bet if you called up and said your light was delivered dry as a bone they would send you lube. Tell them you don't trust the waterproofing without some more silicone grease. You gotta understand that most of their dollars come from LEO officers, military personnel... their own marketing program is targeted towards people who depend on their equipment to stay alive. And for the price they can afford to take care of you, they spend dollars on customer service for YOU. But I wouldn't take advantage of it too much. Could be your own problem down the line that screws you when corporate decides too many people cried wolf. :thinking::mecry:

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened
I would be willing to bet if you called up and said your light was delivered dry as a bone they would send you lube. Tell them you don't trust the waterproofing without some more silicone grease. You gotta understand that most of their dollars come from LEO officers, military personnel... their own marketing program is targeted towards people who depend on their equipment to stay alive. And for the price they can afford to take care of you, they spend dollars on customer service for YOU. But I wouldn't take advantage of it too much. Could be your own problem down the line that screws you when corporate decides too many people cried wolf. :thinking::mecry:
Yeah, because LYING about a "problem" in order to get free product is ethical. Get enough people to do this and the honest SureFire owners out there will get screwed if SureFire decides to stop sending out parts.

You stay classy.

Out.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Why is this thread even being discussed here? There is nothing technical about it. Every post has been either a cheer or jeer comment about the customer service of a specific manufacturer and therefore should be discussed in the marketplace.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Normal wear and tear — including lamps burning out, batteries draining, and switches wearing out — is not covered"

The warranty plainly states that they don't cover switches, yet I had read plenty of posts here about people getting free replacements from Surefire CS. So, I called them on the phone, told them my L4's switch had gone out, and they sent me a new one within about 10 days. They never even requested that I send them the old switch.

They also later replaced a LuxV KL4 head for me that wasn't even completely out, just had dimmed considerably over the years. I, however, did think it best not to mention that I had been using RCR17670s in it for 4 1/2 years. Their warranty policy seems pretty liberal to me.
If you read the manual, you'll see that they are referring specifically to weapon-light switches when say that switches aren't covered (remote switches for weapon-lights are supposed to wear-out as they age). All regular switches (tailcaps) for hand-flashlights are covered. SF sent me one--no questions asked, even though I told them that I intentionally abused my light.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
They sent me a new E series bezel after I told them I broke the window trying to mod it, I said I would pay for the window as it was my fault and they insisted on replacing it FOC.
I have had 2 switches replaced no questions asked, the early flaky z57's.

The switches were a few years back but the bezel was within the last year.