Maglite-luxeon 5w mod

Morkaleb

Newly Enlightened
I'm working on a luxeon 5 mod for my maglight.. but I can't seem to get the beam as tight as I'd like.. any suggestions as to how I could tighten the spot?

and secondly.. I'd like to add that the new magnum star bulbs suck a$$

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
what type led are you using?

are you using the stock mag reflector?

other than focusing by turning the head...there may not be a lot you can do.
leds generally dont' focus as tight as incandescants.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'm not sure if it's possible in the MAG reflector. Mr. Bulk's SN II out shone many incandescents, and he achieved a relatively narrow beam, but not nearly as narrow as some of those other lights including the MAG's own incandescent bulbs. This thread conatins, among other things, beam diameter comparisons between the SN II and nine powerful incandescent lights.

SPACE NEEDLE II FACES DOWN INCANDESCENT WOLFPACK

Brightnorm

Morkaleb

Newly Enlightened
I guess my next question would be where would I find better reflectors that would fit my 4d maglite?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
don't think you will....

i've found mag reflectors to be some of the best when using luxeons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Morkaleb

Newly Enlightened
so essentially, the trick is to center it in the ideal place... thanx.. I need to get my hands on a better fitting heat sink

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not only centering the reflector, as well as cutting it to enough depth, but centering the emitter, and making sure it's level as well... Lots of variables...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
where did you get your first heatsink?

can you take pictures of it?

something tells me that if you're willing to wait a little while, you shouldn't have too hard a time finding a nice heatsink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Morkaleb

Newly Enlightened
I made my heatsink from a bigger one I bought along time ago for my pc... it's too small and it's not the right shape

LukeK

Enlightened
Stop teasing me Roth. *whine* I suck at waiting.

On topic: Is the Mag reflector the closest I'll get to a tight beam with the Luxeon 5w?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
On topic: Is the Mag reflector the closest I'll get to a tight beam with the Luxeon 5w?

Pretty much... Unless you stick one inside a spotlight's oversized reflector, mag reflectors are the best bet for a small spot without sacrificing size...

Morkaleb

Newly Enlightened
does anyone know where I might find a better (any) heatsink for it? and what should I glue the Luxeon 5w to the heatsink with?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Morkaleb

The heatsinks will be available in ~1-2 weeks. They are being manufactured at the moment. Once QA has been done on them, I will post them here.

PS. Use Artic Silver Adhesive for best thermal conductivity. Try www.svc.com. There may be other retailers closer to you.