TK20 Hunting Gift Review (Hunter's View)

Tiresius

Enlightened
Ok, my bro came back from his hunting expedition today and left my house about 1hr ago. They claimed to have shot a deer at 2x4. (each antler which expands to four tips).

The first thing he said when he first came over was, "Matt, where'd you get this light? My buddy wants to get one himself too." :D

Here's what I got from his point of view in regards to the flashlight:
1.) The torch is light, far smaller than his maglite and it has a higher intensity at the long range throw. (+)

2.) Very bright light but didn't like how the two modes worked. He didn't like how the extreme brightness from the turbo mode ruined his adapted night vision. He also didn't like how the low mode does not produce enough lighting to see the road clearly. So much for brightness :( I could of just gave him my G2L and kept the Tk20 myself hahah:D But I still favor my G2L over that TK20 because I've grown a bond with it. (-)

3.) He did like the convenience of using 2XAA's that saved him lots of money in terms of battery waste and weight. Puts out way more brightness than a maglite. It also saved a lot of battery life during usage. (+)

Worst of all :(
4.) He hated the fact that when I showed him the light in the website, he said, "why'd you get something so expensive? you could of gotten that cheaper on there," as he points on the screen LMAO. In his view, anything that cost more than $50 USD is expensive. But he took it differently when I criticized him of spending over $8,000 USD on modifying his jeep for off-road by defending his purpose for having them mods--"they're necessary." A light isn't necessary? Muhahaha! (-)

But overall, he criticized more than he enjoyed. That's his way of saying thanks though :D That's how we brothers are. None the less, he didn't say a thing when I tore his maglite apart in front of his face. "just dont waste too much money on what you plan on doing with that trashlite."

Funny part was that he brought both his maglite and fenix with em to that trip. Now it'll just be one.

His eyes will adjust to the beam (eventually) and will have a less emptier wallet spent on batteries.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well nice report...

how about a diffuser to ffix the High brightness issue?...taht will take care of the trail lighting issue too...

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the griping, my dad does that all the time :D if its aggressively knurled it's too rough, if not knurled it's slippery blah blah blah, you get used to it.

Thing is despite all the griping, his buddy wants one and he is going to be taking it hunting :D

AND now at least he as 2 modes instead of one when he used that maglite. Seeing as its a 2D Maglite, what do you intend to do with it? Maybe get 2 of those 3AA-1D holders and overdrive a 4D bulb? or perhaps seeing that he now has a warm tint LED, get him the stock LED drop in for the 2D, run it off standard D cells and have a backup light with long runtime?

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice story...thanks for posting. The TK20 is Still one of my favorite lights ever.