Curiousity: pragmatic versus gadgeteer?

Functional or mostly just fun?

• Function: I NEED a good flashlight on a frequent basis, but I also like to collect.

Votes: 40 44.9%
  • Fun: I probably could get by with a single cheapo, but I like to collect 'em anyway.

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • I have use for only one or a few for whatever reason, and that is all I own. No collecting.

Votes: 14 15.7%

• Total voters

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
I tend to have a few little collections of things, a sort of homage to materialism. I now have a few (quite a few) flashlights. I have a few guitars, a few watches, a few knives. The guitars all sound different, and most are used regularly (except an old acoustic, which just doesn't sound anywhere near as nice as my newer Martin).

However, with most of these objects, including the flashlights, I really only need one (if even one). For example, I use a flashlight on rare occasion to see inside or behind my computer when modding/messing, or in a dark corner or closet-- very rarely. I have a detached garage, so I use my keychain light on occasion to traverse the rather windy driveway to the front door, and to visualize the keyhole. But I just put a light sensor in the porch light socket, so don't really need that anymore.

I know a lot of folks here are in law enforcement or military, or in a technical job that requires regular access to a light. Or for camping/outdoor activity, etc. Some probably find a variety of different types of lights quite useful.

Just curious as to how many people just buy em because they like gadgets and shiny objects, like myself, and how many find them necessary for functional reasons?

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Industrial usage for me - generally the best I've seen are Streamlight Stingers or Streamlight SuperSabrelights or the 2 AA Streamlight. So you don't need some of the lights I have (McGizmos, Incans with WA1185 or CL1794) but I like them.

computernut

Enlightened
At work I probably use a flashlight once a week, not as much as I used to as I have more of a desk job now. At home I use a light for walking the dog after dark so that's probably a few times a week. There is probably a few other times a week that I'm glad I have a light on me.

None of my lights are shelf queens, they will all be called into duty at some point. I think my addiction is more of search for the best light for my purposes. I haven't started collecting knives yet because I'm more than happy with my SAK Cybertool for what I need it for. It doesn't help that I have always loved flashlights so I'm more than happy to keep searching ;)

Billy Ram

Enlightened
I have many flashlights that are used regularly. The 2xCR123 LED lights are the work horses and get the most use. I have several kept in handy places like in every auto that get almost daily use. I keep a M30 Triton on my nite stand and soon a powerful mag85 will be on the floor under the bed. The M30 is seeing regular use and is proving to be handy. About the only lights that don't get use are the old incandescents that are hard on batterys and bulbs. I have a collection in the basement.
Billy

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Preferring not to turn on lights at night, I walk around the house and do little things like drink milk, or eat a snack using my little SF T1A, that I wear around my neck. Of times I will use my U2 in candle mode on the sink, and will use it next to my computer. The least light for me the better, and just enough to see what I am doing. Liking lights, I just like to use them for the hell of it, in situations where most people would just turn on a light, but they don't care for flashlights, preferring their "trusty" mag, which they don't like either.

Bill

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I am not sure what to vote... but heres my story.

I need a good light at work and around the house but I like to fix stuff so I buy DX stuff or used lights on the marketplace and mod it.

GotDogs

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I guess I am a collector, or at least I am a dabbeler. Flashlights, guns, knives and wives.
John

Last edited:

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
Well, since I got into flashlights, I find myself using them even though I don't need to. For example, this morning I went into the basement to put a few things away. There is a light down there, but what's the fun of that? So I whipped out my P1D and cycled through the settings on the way across the basement, to the toolbox. Then I had to go down again for something else. Well, I put my P1D down, and grabbed my RA clicky for the 2nd run.

This sort of noob collector infatuation will wear off after a bit (or not?), but it is pretty funny at this point.

I also bought a fistfull of cheapo coin lights for about $7 for the bunch. My wife saw them and said "WTF?" Then she laughed at me. I said "you need one of those, take one, put it in your nightstand drawer." She said, "you already gave me a light, which I don't need. And you already put another one in that drawer." But she took one anyway, to humor me.

I obviously checked #2 when I posted the poll.

:crackup:

etherealshade

Enlightened
I need one every day for work - backstage as a theatre technical manager. I always have a LD01 SS on my keys, and also carry an H60 and a RC-M4 with a Dereelight dropin depending on the needs of the day.

I'm definitely an addict though, as I'm always buying more as my wallet can permit.:broke:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm good at imagining potential uses for new lights, but I really don't need them any more than most folks. I just like them.

Geoff

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really could get along with a cheap one, but I like having better. I have a perfectly usable LED Mini-M@g, but chose earlier this year to buy a Fenix LD20. Then I decided to purchase a LE Ti Quark AA. Now I'm saving for one of Moddoo's XP-G drop-ins, and a bored out Surefire 6P, 18650 batteries, and a charger.

Do I need these lights? Heck no, but, right now, I'm developing a hobby that, at some point (ie: power outages), will be useful. I also really like having good tools, something I guess I inherited from my dad, and enjoy collecting.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could easily get by on a modded Maglite, a 1 x AA light and a 1 x AAA light. That would do for EDC, camping, whatever.

But I have Maglites - 4 of 2D, 3D, 2 of 4D, 6D and an Elephant II with 3" throwmaster head. None of the Maglites are stock and one of the 4D Mags in pushing around 180W, the Elephant II will soon be 212W regulated.

I also have 2 of 1 x AAA lights, 4 of 1 x AA lights, 1 x 16340, 3 of 1 x 18650, 4 of 2 x AA and a 1 x AA Zebralight and a 1 x 18650 Zebralight.

There could be more, but that is what I could think of off the top of my head. (ooh, there is also a Surefire A2 on the way)

A couple of years ago I got by on a Microstream on the key ring as well as 2 of the 2 x AA Minimags and a 2D & a 4D Maglite - I hadn't heard of CPF and I didn't know how poorly equipped I was. Back then I had more lights than most people I knew and it was rare to find someone else that chose to EDC a light (even a little Microstream on the keyring was a bit over the top compared to practically everyone else).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I could get by on a lot less lights than I have, but it is more fun having a bunch of cool and different lights. Now I EDC 3 lights and 3 lighters and a Leatherman Wave & a Victorinox Cybertool as well as whatever I have in my wallet. I like to be well prepared for anything as well as having gadgets to play with. I only need one light on me - but what if it failed! :eek: It is comforting to know that if the battery dies on a light then I can just swap to another one.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
I started off with a Fenix TK10 that I used to detect swirl marks in automotive paint for my detailing business.... Then I found this site. Ive purchased a Fenix P1D for my keychain, and a Jetbeam M1X cause it kicks ***. Also purchased a Squirt P4 for my keychain also. Feel like im ready for anything now which is good. But im still looking to expand my flashlight collection and sort of have one for every occassion. A thrower, flooder, warm tint, EDC, etc.... Its an expensive hobby but at least its useful. lovecpf

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sort of noob collector infatuation will wear off after a bit (or not?), but it is pretty funny at this point.

nope, it doesnt wear off. Sometimes if im going into the dark living room at night, Im actually caught with a dilemma. should i go for preserving night vision and use my cmg infinity? or should i ceiling pounce a higher powered light? if so, which one? my quark? or would it be more fun to use my Legolas?

decisions, decisions, decisions....

Crenshaw

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to need a good light, when i worked night shift as a security guard.
funny thing is, the first security job i worked, was the most dangerous, chasing offenders etc, and i got by for ages, with a 3d mag, then found this place, and got a 6P and pelican M11, and and L4 for EDC, then lost the M11 charger, got a SL stinger, then a Pila Glx3r
i then changed security jobs, and got a magcharger, when the Pila stopped working, and a SF U2 as an "always on the belt" light

now that i am working as a photographer, i have more good lights than i need, Ultrastinger, A2, L2, Lumensfactory P7 head, 3x 6P, Novatac edc120p etc
i do still need a good light occasionally, but no where near what i used to need

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once I decide that I have a need for something, I generally do a little research to find out what's available, what uses exist beyond my immediate need, and, if possible, the opinions and experiences of other people.

In the fortunate case of flashlights, a particular flashlight isn't so expensive that I have to worry about getting it right the first time, so while I have specific uses in mind that I'll probably end up purchasing half a dozen lights or so to cover, I can buy a "test light" every now and then to fine tune my opinions about the characteristics I'm looking for.

I'll probably end up purchasing some lights that I don't end up using in the long term, but I don't consider this to be "collecting" as much as the product of research. Each light was purchased because it has come feature or set of features I wanted to experience and even the unused lights will act as reference points should I decide to readdress my conclusions at a later time (also, my needs or desires might change such that an unused light finds new purpose).

Flashlights just happen to be my current obsession. Previous obsessions included role play game systems, ball point pens, multi-tools, trombone/euphonium/tuba mouthpieces (an excellent example where my optimal feature set changes often depending on the kind of music I'm playing, how much time I'm practicing, and the horn I'm using...my flashlight collection will probably never approach my mouthpiece collection in terms of size or dollars spent), tools, and cutlery (the Wustoff cleaver is currently my favorite even though it gets used (slightly) less than the chef's knife). Once I move on to a new obsession, I continue to dabble in previous obsessions, but make purchases far more rarely (generally only if I see something clearly superior or completely novel to what I already own).

That was probably too much information.

--flatline

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
flatline, you are fickle. Can not say that about most CPF'ers from my observations through the years. Different interests yes, and mostly at the same time, but not jumping from one thing to the other, and then mostly loosing interest. Stick around on CPF, and we will make a real flashaholic out of you yet. :thumbsup:

strinq

Enlightened
i NEED one. :D
Well cuz i do night running at times and the place i run is not well lit at night with some places being very very dark.
Always do some reading before i sleep so a light helps me prevent from disturbing my sleeping partner.

BUT a lot of lights is always fun. I love to see em gleaming...