Q4 or R5 in the LF2XT Titanium 3rd Run?

What Is Ideal For The LF2XTi?

• Total voters

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright guys, in order to buy this light (3rd Run LF2XTi) and pay the bills, I will have to sell alot of my favorite lights/knives that include my NiteCore EZAA R2, Custom Ra Clicky, SpyderCo Centofante 3, BenchMade Mini Griptilian, Fenix L1D body and tailcap, Quark flush tailcap, a good handful of unused protected 14500, a few 10440's, 2009 issue Victorinox Swiss Army Soldier, Maglite 2D ROP Modded and maybe my NiteCore D10 R2 w/ Clip...(but still contemplating on that).

But anyways I will have an ad for that up in the MarketPlace soon. If you are interested or want to get a headstart, send me a PM.

Back on subject, the bigger picture, I am trying to decide on if I should get the (cool) R5 (I originally wanted the warm R5, but Ku does not have any of those) or stick with the Q4 (that I already have on my current LF2XT Nat, but whose tint I absolutely love). With the Q4, I need a little more power though... I already have alot of lights that are Cool white, and with my Quark Ti still on it's way... I do not know what an R5 will offer.

For everyone that already owns a LF2XT, and love their Q4, I hope you can relate to my situation. What would you do? Go with the more powerful R5 (knowing that you are sacrificing color differentiating for power), or stick with the great tint of the Q4? Oh and to make matters worse... 4Sevens is coming with a AAA light soon with R5...

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?! Budget is very tight, but I have to have my lights... Vote away and help me out! :nana:

Last edited:

HighLumens

Enlightened
Why don't you get the R5 and, if you don' t like the tint you can always change the pill and install the Q4 one in the titanium body??

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You must know yourself if you preffer cool or neutral white. I preffer neutral white, as I like warmer tints, I don't care about the few Lumen difference, a light as the LF2XT is used 99% on lower levels in my hands, mainly the lowest Low. I have one of the second run, just great, near perfection with a trit in the ti-button. I have a lanyard on mine, not the clip.

You may get the third run with an R5, but with the stock reflector, which has not been designed for XRG. I wouldn't get it, if you preffr cool white, I'd go with an R2.

I'll also get the Ti-AAA with the R5 from 4Sevens and Titanium Innovations. Those will be <50$, another category than the LF2XT. They are supposed to go up to 100 Lumen (or more?), I don't know about the LF2XT with the Q4, probably 70 or so.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you get the R5 and, if you don' t like the tint you can always change the pill and install the Q4 one in the titanium body??

Hmm... I never really toggled with with the LF2XT... How complicated is it to swap the pills?

bansuri

Enlightened
My DX tweezers got it out with no problem. Came in a set of 3, taper to verrrry pointy.
You will see 2 tiny slots 180 degrees apart on the pill on the outside edge, insert the tips of the tweezers in these and, while applying gentle downward pressure to prevent cam-out, turn counter-clockwise to remove the pill.

Last edited:

kavvika

Enlightened
I was about to vote for the neutral emitter, but realized you already have a LF2xt with that one. I'll echo what HighLumens said, get the R5 and compare the two. However, between the two, I would still go with the Q4. I just can't get over a beautiful creamy warm tint.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to vote for the neutral emitter, but realized you already have a LF2xt with that one. I'll echo what HighLumens said, get the R5 and compare the two. However, between the two, I would still go with the Q4. I just can't get over a beautiful creamy warm tint.

It is a beautiful thing isn't it? I feel like I am stepping backwards going with a more dated emitter, but I can't help it! As you stated... that creamy warm tint... it does something to ya! lol

If only a warm R5 was available for this light... I wouldn't of made this thread! lol

bernards

Newly Enlightened
I have both R2 and Q4. I really can't decide which I prefer. The Q4 does look more pleasant if you are going to be staring in a beam all night. You already own a Q4, I don't see the point in buying another one. If I can only buy one light from scratch. I'll probably choose the R5 if the add-on cost is less than $40.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both R2 and Q4. I really can't decide which I prefer. The Q4 does look more pleasant if you are going to be staring in a beam all night. You already own a Q4, I don't see the point in buying another one. If I can only buy one light from scratch. I'll probably choose the R5 if the add-on cost is less than $40.

This is true. The LED and the installation is $16 more from the total price.