Which 2XCr123 flashlight has brightest SPILL with Premium (R2) Cree 7090 XR-E LED

recDNA

Flashaholic
2 X CR123 - no Li-Ions. Brightest and biggest possible spill. Throw means nothing to me. Id go for MC-E but they overheat in small flashlights.

Small. No big tactical heads please. No headlamps. I would like to put it in my pocket without a holster. Less than $70.

A Malkoff with P60F would be perfect but it's too expensive so think in those terms for output.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Brightest and biggest possible spill.

OK, so if the Quark doesn't do it, what you're really after is flood rather than spill.

How about a Zebralight ? All flood and you don't have to use it as a headlamp. You can chuck the headband away if you're that set against 'em.

Throw means nothing to me.
You could always get the Quark and bung a diffuser on it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
OK, so if the Quark doesn't do it, what you're really after is flood rather than spill.

How about a Zebralight ? All flood and you don't have to use it as a headlamp. You can chuck the headband away if you're that set against 'em.

You could always get the Quark and bung a diffuser on it.

In the original post I said:

Small. No big tactical heads please. No headlamps. I would like to put it in my pocket without a holster. Less than $70.

A headlamp without the band isn't the right shape for a flashlight is it?

I find diffusers merely LOWER the entire light field to the same level as the spill. I would prefer a floody flashlight to a diffuser. Does anybody use the P60F type lens who is cheaper than Malkoff?

Yes, I want a flood type beam profile.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
no light exists with these criteria.
Closest:
-M60F+P60 host... is it really that much, if it does exactly what you want?
-Zebralight and just use it as a stand alone flashlight, although they do not make a 2xcr123 form
-SF with a flip diffuser attachment
-Any light with a diffuser, or DIY a difuser of your own
-Some report good results using photography diffusing film and DIY modding with that

George is working on a new flashlight, that should be a derivative of their headlamps. IIRC it should be all flood with no reflector.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very dim spill. That light is a thrower. Quarks are great lights though.

The Quark is not a thrower. It has an orange peel reflector to smooth the beam. Throwers have smooth reflectors. The two pictures from reviews below show very bright spill. You call that dim?:thinking:

Selfbuilt's review
18650-Beam5-25.jpg

UnknownVT's review
Quark123-2Tact_P3Drb100.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
The Quark is not a thrower. It has an orange peel reflector to smooth the beam. Throwers have smooth reflectors. The two pictures from reviews below show very bright spill. You call that dim?:thinking:

Selfbuilt's review
18650-Beam5-25.jpg

UnknownVT's review
Quark123-2Tact_P3Drb100.jpg

I'm looking for a floodier light than the Quark.

recDNA

Flashaholic
no light exists with these criteria.
Closest:
-M60F+P60 host... is it really that much, if it does exactly what you want?
-Zebralight and just use it as a stand alone flashlight, although they do not make a 2xcr123 form
-SF with a flip diffuser attachment
-Any light with a diffuser, or DIY a difuser of your own
-Some report good results using photography diffusing film and DIY modding with that

George is working on a new flashlight, that should be a derivative of their headlamps. IIRC it should be all flood with no reflector.

All flood, no reflector in 2 X CR123 would be ideal. I'm also looking at th NoHS (Jetbeam I think)
but I was hoping that there is something brighter available that doesn't overheat.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Oh $70 is your limit? You can get an M60 + solarforce host for that price. I have never heard of any of the M60 modules having thermal overheat problems.

chas9rr

Newly Enlightened
2 X CR123 - no Li-Ions. Brightest and biggest possible spill. Throw means nothing to me. Id go for MC-E but they overheat in small flashlights.

A Malkoff with P60F would be perfect but it's too expensive so think in those terms for output.

I think you should look at the Dereelight CL1H-NOHS. Runs on primaries, no hot spot at all, all spill. I think it is an edc size, i carry it cliped to my jeans pocket all the time... allthough some might differ on the carry ability of the CL1H. And it is less than $70!!! And it is a P60 host so if you want to get a Malkoff later, you are all set. Frankly, i am supprised someone else has not suggested it.

http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hv4nohs.htm
http://flashlightconnection.com/Der...-cool-neutral-white-tint-Flashlight-p223.html

Hope that helps,
Charles

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

recDNA

Flashaholic
Good luck in your price range. Maybe you could find a used Surefire L4 for a decent price. :thumbsup:

Perfect size, 2x 123a, and Wall of light you are looking for.
l4_large2.jpg

It's only like 120 lumens right? It seems like one of the 200+ lumen lights would be better. When real tests are done SF lumens and anybody elses aren't all that different IME. I think a used Malkoff MD2 with P60F would be better for my needs but I don't do Paypal so used is tough for me. Plus then no warranty.

Thanks for all the effort guys.

light-reviews.com gives spill lux numbers which are just what I need but just too many missing models.

I'd be very curious to get lux readings for the spill of the EagletacP20C2 vs. the Quark CR123 X2 and the Fenix PD30+. Eagletac is reviewed there but not the other 3.

The Dereelight NoHS would just have one lux reading since there is no hotspot.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I think you should look at the Dereelight CL1H-NOHS. Runs on primaries, no hot spot at all, all spill. I think it is an edc size, i carry it cliped to my jeans pocket all the time... allthough some might differ on the carry ability of the CL1H. And it is less than $70!!! And it is a P60 host so if you want to get a Malkoff later, you are all set. Frankly, i am supprised someone else has not suggested it.

http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hv4nohs.htm
http://flashlightconnection.com/Der...-cool-neutral-white-tint-Flashlight-p223.html

Hope that helps,
Charles

I thought of it myself but I can't get lux readings anywhere for comparison. It is my current first choice but I hoped somebody had seen a good review of one with lux readings. Then I could compare them to spill readings of Eagletacs and old Fenix's on light-reviews.com

Aren't Dereelights only hosts for Dereelight pills? I thought I read that somewhere. Yhe NoHS has no reflector so I don't know how well it would work as a host anyway.

I guess I just have to wait until somebody does lux readings on the NoHS so I have something to compare it to.

I'd buy the Malkoff in a second if I didn't have to pay even more to get levels. I would think the bezel ring level selector or a cheaper clicky with levels would be included in the price.

Most people would consider $70 an absurd amount of money to spend on a flashlight! It's not like I'm looking for a $20 solution.

Last edited: