Looking for a good single cell AA light

Dadof6

Enlightened
Personally I love the HDS/Novatac/Ra concept. But I'm looking for a light for my son who will be spending 2 years in the Philippines. He is not quite the flashaholic that I am so I am thinking that an AA light would be better since it would be easier to find batteries. I like the programability of the Ra lights but would like at least a low and high level option. Please let me know what you suggest.

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
I agree Nitecore, or 4sevens Quark AA (I have the cr123 versions of both, and they rock). Olight is also a good one.

Also, there are about a couple of dozen others (as you probably know), but I don't have first hand experience with them!

There is a great AA shootout by one of the CPF flashaholics I came across awhile back in a search, you might have already seen it.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Look for the single AA roundup by Selfbuilt in the review section.

Personally I am not a fan of the D10. The Quark AA gets good reviews -- I'll be getting myself one to try as a travel flashlight, too.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 years in the Phillipines eh? I'd probably consider a Nitecore EZ-AA, no clicky switch to malfunction and its very small and handy too. 2 modes as well so that should be sufficient. And being flashaholics, get him a AAA backup, the choices here are many but i would say perhaps a Fenix E01 for the longer runtimes as its a backup.

That and a few packs of lithium AAs and AAAs should set him up fine.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore NDI R2. Does well on standard AA batteries. Most other AA lights need 14500 batteries to reach full potential.

Bill

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
2 years in the Phillipines eh? I'd probably consider a Nitecore EZ-AA, no clicky switch to malfunction and its very small and handy too. 2 modes as well so that should be sufficient.

That and a few packs of lithium AAs and AAAs should set him up fine.

I agree... and I would get the neutral tint emitter also

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd go with something that has fixed modes so nothing gets accidentally switched around. A twistie would also be more reliable then a clickie.

If you want a clickie light, go for the Olight, Fenix, or Quark. The adjustable D10 could work too. The Nitecore EZ-AA could be the best though. Small, bright, simple.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote is for the Nitecore EZ AA as well. Simple two level light. Very pocketable and easy to feed. For something a little more robust and larger in the hand maybe the Quark AA tactical. Again its a simple two stage but progammable. I also suggest getting him a Fenix E01 for back up or keychain.

headophile

Enlightened
i agree with the 1xaa idea and my personal suggestion would be the fenix ld10, for the fact that there is a fenix dealer here in case something goes wrong or needs replacing (which i doubt anyway with any of the good lights).

also, i've had the ld20 for a while now and have been completely satisfied with it :)

batmanacw

Enlightened
I would suggest either the Fenix LD10, the Nitecore D10, or the Nitecore EZ twisty.

I like the suggestion of the twisty for reliability, but the Fenix LD10 has been reliable for over a year. The D10 is a great light. I think its better quality than the Fenix, but its a close contest.

I bought a Quark 123 tactical and didn't care for the tactical UI. It was a very nicely built light. Gave it to my buddy in California. Sounds generous, but he gave me a TK40 for my birthday!:huh:

Maybe some day soon I will buy one of the non tactical quarks in a single AA. The warmer tint of the light I had was nice.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Two that I know about, the NiteCore EZAA and the Proton Pro would seem to be good lights for such a journey. And, a new Pro is coming out with a brighter emitter. Also, like Oddjob said,"a Fenix E01 for backup", or maybe a little Maratac.

Geoff

Vesper

Enlightened
Whichever you decide, get him a light with a clip. Won't do him much good when it rolls out of his pocket. D10 (a great light - I love mine) for instance you need to order it separately.

bansuri

Enlightened
I like all of the lights suggested, but people all have different interests and if you feel his level of flashlight interest is pretty low I'd go with the Neutral tint EZAA.
I think the D10 would be waaay too much for a non-flashoholic.
The EZAA is a fraction of the size of a Quark and is drop-dead easy to use.
I lament that I didn't order a bunch during their recent sale for Christmas presents.