Nitecore EX10 R2 Special Edition, First Impressions

Wilks132

Newly Enlightened
Well, I finally got it. A Nitecore EX10 "Special Edition" with strobe. Now, I know that most on here dont really like strobe features. But, as a LEO, I find it a very valuable function. This UI (minus the SOS feature) is my favorite and wish Nitecore would offer it in the Defender Infinity and Extreme models. This light is replacing my Surefire E1e (only 15 lumens) as my EDC pocket light. This is my first Nitecore product.

Out of the box: The light came with a a 550 cord lanyard with clip that is now sitting a drawer. The light felt very well built and the craftsmanship is excellent. As soon as the battery was put in, It worked as it should and was surprisingly bright.

The UI: Unlike the normal EX10, this light does not have the infinitely variable adjustment. This light has 5 modes. low, med, hi, SOS and Strobe. With the head fully tight, press the piston in and the light comes on. The light also remembers the last mode it was in and will turn on in that mode (note, the light will only remember low, med and hi). From any mode, quickly double click the piston and the light enters SOS mode. click again the turns off. From any mode, double click and hold and the light enters strobe mode. To quickly enter SOS mode when the light is off, quickly triple click the piston. To quickly enter Strobe mode, quickly triple click and hold the piston. This light also has a "lock out" feature to ensure that the light will not accidentally turn on in your pocket. To enter the lock out mode, with the light off, press the piston and hold. the light with flash once to indicate that the light is in lock out mode. To re-activate the light, quickly triple click the piston and the light will operate normally.

What I like: I love the fact that all functions are controlled by the piston (tail cap button). As an LEO, my light is always in my left hand so that my right hand is free to access other tools such as my firearm. Therefore, I would not be able to twist the head of the light to enter other modes such as strobe mode. I also like the fact that I can quickly activate the strobe while the light is off (similar to the NovaTac 120T). The three modes (low, med and high) are perfect for my taste as I really only use low and hi. The infinitely variably adjustment is useless to me.

What I dont like: SOS mode is useless. If need be, you can loosen the head of the light (which turns it into momentary mode) and signal by depressing the piston. If SOS mode had to be in the series of modes, it should have been placed after strobe, so that strobe could be accessed even quicker.

Overall: I am very pleased with the Nitecore EX10 SP R2. The quality, craftsmanship and price of this light is outstanding. I will also be ordering the D10 version of this UI (AA version).

Side Note: Can anyone tell me of another torch that uses a similar UI, but, uses 2 CR123's and is a tad brighter. I want a larger version for my primary light. Right now im looking at the Quark 2x123 and the EagleTac T20C2.

Thanks

Ritch

Enlightened
Some days ago I've got mine, too. On 'medium' sometimes I can see a slightly flickering. Not very much, it is only noticeable in the darkness on a clear surface. Could you watch anything similar?

Richard

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side Note: Can anyone tell me of another torch that uses a similar UI, but, uses 2 CR123's and is a tad brighter. I want a larger version for my primary light. Right now im looking at the Quark 2x123 and the EagleTac T20C2.

Thanks

I would suggest the Fenix PD30

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
I agree about the UI.
"infinite variable" adjustment is a slow and rough method to get to the brightness you want. 3 levels will be enough for me.
All kinds of strobe, SOS operations should be hidden from normal use, but immediately accessible, this UI has done it -- I agree with you they should put strobe to double click, you shouldn't use SOS frequently!
Jetbeam IBS is very versatile, but I studied it for a while, decided I may need a manual when I want to access/programm certain strobe functions, and it may take quite a while even you know how to do it -- there are way too many strobe functions to choose. Imagining the case in a emergency... Even you program some strobe into the preset 3 level, how can you predict your need?

If the Nitecore SP UI can be improved further, I would say providing more strobe functions (like beacon) in hidden menu, and make the two shortcut (double click, click & hold) programmable for strobe like functions. Is there any possible action combination can be used as shortcut without interfering each other?

I guess someday people do need a micro USB connection to program their own UI.

Wilks132

Newly Enlightened
Some days ago I've got mine, too. On 'medium' sometimes I can see a slightly flickering. Not very much, it is only noticeable in the darkness on a clear surface. Could you watch anything similar?

Richard

Well I just took at look and i do have a very slight flickering on medium. I had not noticed it until I read your post. The flickering with my light is not noticeable at all unless your looking for it. What could be the cause??

Rion

Newly Enlightened
The normal infinitely variable adjustment is the unique feature. Some would prefer this function over SOS and strobe.

For SOS and Strobe, there are other brands and models for it.

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
The normal infinitely variable adjustment is the unique feature. Some would prefer this function over SOS and strobe.

For SOS and Strobe, there are other brands and models for it.

That's all right, people have different preference, and people get choices. As long as Nitecore don't use the SP version replace the regular version (I don't think they will), there is no hurt to have more choices.

To me, this UI is the unique feature, and there is other infinitely variable adjustment light for others, like Jetbeam IBS, and of course Nitecore regular.

Besides, I read in Chinese forum that some D10 R2 SP have electric whining sound in medium, I don't know if it is common.

To Wilks132: Did you clean the contacts? Try different battery, because I think smart PD system sometimes is sensitive to factors like battery length, spring firmness etc (just my feeling).

Last edited:

Wilks132

Newly Enlightened
I will try to clean the contacts or maybe loosen the head a tad. I have also noticed that it the head is loose (to use momentary) the light will cycle through the modes (low, med, hi). So I just keep the head tight and utilize the lock out feature.

Wilks132

Newly Enlightened
Best UI in my opinion. Wish Nitecore will produce the Defender Infinity and extreme with this UI.

Ritch

Enlightened
The UI is phantastic, imho. Unfortunately the flickering on medium brightness became more intense, it is boring. I cleaned all parts and contacts, I even changed the piston. The light is still flickering. I'll send it back.

ThesaurZA

Newly Enlightened
Besides, I read in Chinese forum that some D10 R2 SP have electric whining sound in medium, I don't know if it is common.
It's true. Both my D10 SP and EX10 SP whine in medium mode. But quiet as a mouse in low and high.

Did you guys also notice that the D10 SP has a slightly larger diameter than the standard D10 R2?

I first noticed it by sight, but then I put my D10 SP head on my standard D10 R2 body, and I could clearly feel and see the difference. It's not much. Maybe 0.5-1mm. I didn't measure it with calipers.

Wilks132

Newly Enlightened
I dont have any "whining" on medium, or, at least not that I can notice. I do have a very slight "flickering" but, it doesnt bother me. Further, I really only use low and hi. Medium doesnt get to much use. I find the low perfect for normal lighting to read drivers license's and searching cars.

Does anyone know of a larger 2x123/18560 light that uses a similar interface?? I love the fact that it memorizes the last mode (low/med/hi) so when you turn it off it turns on in that mode. I also love the quick access to strobe.

Last edited:

MWClint

Enlightened

Thanks

you can check out the Peak Combat Patrol
2xCR123 , 250 lumens, high, med, low, strobe (no sos!), forward tail clicky.
intended and built for law enforcement use.
http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Combat Patrol.html

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Fenix PD20 & PD10 is not bad either that comes with new knurling body but my NC D10 SP R2 UI is the best so far in this category plus it can accept AW14500 unlike the Fenix which will go direct drive which is not good for the XPE emitter.

Latest posts