NitecoreExtreme (R2) or Ra EDC executive

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to decide between the Nitecore Extreme (R2) and the Ra EDC Executive (120 lumens). I want a light that will be tough/reliable, last a very long time and in the $100 range. I'm a desk jockey, so I don't really abuse my lights per se, but would like to keep one on me for travel and emergencies.

I know the NEX R2 has more light, and the Ra is tougher I think...so I would really appreciate any input good or bad on these lights. I haven't had a chance to handle either of these lights. I've read that the NEX R2 had some tailcap issues? Are there any design flaws with the Ra lights and has anyone had problems with them?

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. :sigh:

Thanks.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the NT D10 which is a good light, but have had RA lights over the years and I highly recommend them and the designer (Henry) has excellent customer service!!

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, i have the Nex for dog walks and working on my car, it is a pretty tough little thing. ive dropped it loads of times without worry, it came with a spare switch as well - but i believe that was a problem the first batches but not anymore.
for the price difference between the two - for me anyways in the UK. unless your really going to be in extreme situations id have the nitecore.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The Extreme definitely has more throw, with a very clearly defined hotspot that works well outdoors.

The RA has it beat on versatility and (just) build quality. I'd agree though that for normal use, the Nitecore is tough enough.

Given the choice, I often end up with the Extreme in my pocket for outdoors use.

fareast

Enlightened
I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one. Both have it's merits. I have a few NEX's and these are my EDC's. I haven't got the Ra but I have a similar light: an 85T/P. The Ra must be nigh on indestructible for daily use. The NEX is of lesser build but still very tough. I must have dropped it a hundred times already and so have others who use it. No issues other than dings. With a SS bezel: much lesser dings. But, if I don't need it's brightness nor it's throw out comes the 85T/P.

If you're here for a while I would say, which one to get first?

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
thank you all for the feed back. i went with the nex r2, i conveniently used the four sevens discount code. i got my ez123 from them last week and it was an extremely smooth transaction, and fast turn around, i got the light within the week. so i just went with them again.

through i doubt i will ever need a light as tough as the Ra, regardless that is still on the top of my list for next purchase, if i don't go with the SureFire E1B or the new as not yet released L1X. i hope the L1X comes out soon!

honestly, i have no real regular use for flashlights at all, but they're such cool gadgets. but i guess with winter coming, it never hurts to have enough flashlights for emergencies.