Need help, mid-sized do-it-all flashlight?

dahlberg123

Newly Enlightened
First post so take it easy on me :grin2:

I recently found out how extremely useful a good flashlight can be and decided that I should invest a few bucks (to start with) and purchase a new flashlight. I just finished reading BessyBennies budget review(s) and found the Akoray K-106, looks like it might my needs pretty well. Are there any other lights in the sub $20 range that I should be considering?

The things that are important to me are:

• mid-sized (1xAA or 2xAA)
  • belt clip
  • more cylindrical in shape, easier to pull out of pocket / bag / etc.
To sum it up I am looking for a do-it-all type light that I can clip on my belt and go jogging with, throw in my glove box in-case of a flat tire or take into the woods on a hunting expedition. I will give up some light output for run time if necessary.

Also, is there a "primer" on batteries around here somewhere? I see that some of these lights take Li-Ion
14500's? Li-Ion, NiCad, Nuclear, etc, what's what when it comes to my battery choices?

Thanks for the help all!

connortn

Newly Enlightened
If it's a single AA light you're looking for under 20 dollars, I don't think you could go wrong with the Lifegear AA that Target sells. It's built quite well but doesn't have a clip. Other clips might fit it. I have two of the lights and two guys at work are waiting for Target to get more in for themselves, and they both have Surefires... more than one! I found that one of the rubber caps that you can buy for the 2AA maglights that keeps it from rolling around will fit the head of this light, if you put about 2 or 3 turns of electrical tape on the head first.

If you get one, buy or take a new battery with you and test it out in the auto before going home with it (unless you live very close). The beam of one of mine is off centered just a little, but not noticeable in use. Take a pair of tin snips to open the package as I've come close to cutting myself several times with my pocket knife trying to get into the plastic wraps that everything comes in these days! Works better than sissors!

It's a little hard to find info on this light, but it's worth getting in my opion. Especially for 20 dollars. I did a runtime test on one of mine which I posted here 2 or 3 weeks ago. Try a search for "Life gear 1aa" and it should show up. If it doesn't, try searching for posts I've made and it should show up in one of them. I have probably 10-15 flashlights and like them all, but the Lifegear is what will replace all the flashlights in the family cars as soon as Target gets more in.

As David Mitchell said on the Youtube "Mitchell and Webb Situation, 'Farming',"...

"You cannot loose!!!" (Good funny video, by the way)

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i own the Akoray K106 and its a pretty darn good buy. It only reaches full potential when running on a 14500 though. I am using a WF139 charger and protected trustfire 14500 cells (both from DX) in my Akoray and no problems so far.

For the specific use of hunting, the Akoray may not be as suitable, cool white light doesnt seem to have the 'penetrating' power and colour rendition of warm tints or incandescents which is why i purchased a TK20 for any outdoor use.

dahlberg123

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys/gals!

@ connortn - I'll be making a trip to the local Target to see if they have the Lifegear light you're referring to.

@ hyperloop - Thanks for the info, I think end up with more than 1 flashlight :twothumbs

I know this might not be "the place" for battery discussions but what does "protected" mean, just that the battery won't overcharge? Also, are li-ion's good for outdoor use / storage in the winter? I would like to have a light in my glovebox, should I be using regular AA type batteries in that situation?

Thanks for help!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?u=10687

kramer5150

Flashaholic
RC-G2-Q5
RC-N3-Q5 (or the warm tint Q3)

both from shiningbeam

Akoray makes good stuff for the $$$. Happy with the K-109 thats been lent to me, overall quality is better than I was expecting.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
tk 40.

ops, never mind, didn't notice $20 price range

Last edited:

sparkysko

Enlightened
I wouldn't keep lithium ion cells in a car. The winter might be fine, but the summer can nuke them.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
for under 20dollar range in AA size i would also suggest you one (or all) of these..

romisen G2 (1aa) easy to use single mode.

romisen N3 (2*aa or 1*cr123) either single mode warm tint or coolwhite.. or the upgraded 2mode fron shiningbeam.

akoray k106 (1aa or 14500li-ion) it works ok ish with nimh rechargables but really shines with li.ions.. it wont work well with regular alkaline batteries. but its just in class of its own with the programmability option. nothing else is available in this price range with that. (next ones begin at 60$)

for light in cool and hot places or glovebox.. get the lithium AA batteries like energizers. they can withstand temperatures and have long shelflife and basically no leakage problems (alkalines may start to drain their fluids and u might end up with that crusty rusty and white crud inside your now non working light)

if you are not ready to go for the li-ion cll technology and their separate charger demands.. and also chance of mistakenly using the 3.6v liion instead of normal aa and frying something in process.. keep it simple and pick romisen g2 and n3. one for pocket carry other for longer use. (not that you cant use the n3 in its shorter form everyday..)

my plan is to put the romisen n3 into my glovebox with the 1.5v lithium batteries (they are different than li-ion 14500 that are 3.6v) and keep one cr123 (or as i used to call it "expensive camera battery") as spare. they are lithium primary cells too. but with the option of using the AA batteries that are easy to find "on the road/every little store" i think its smart to have a light like that in the glovebox.

i already have one light in my glovebox that has the strobe (its the only use i have found for strobe.. alerting other traffic when it blinks) thats why i wouldnt suggest the akoray. (and it really does need atleast Nimh 1.2v rechargables to work well enough.. and liion 14500 to exel) if you are ready to jump to liions. then akoray is good value. it just takes bit to learn the programming. thats why simple to use g2 is good for many tasks.

best flashlight is the one you do carry with you. anything too big or difficult to use, you will likely leave it home. and THEN you will need it!

my list of best bangs for low bucks currently is in AA and AAA batteries: romisen n3, itp eos, akoray 106, romisen g2.

and in 18650 liion battery type: solarforce l2 and lmini2.

dahlberg123

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the input guys/gals, I've got some reading to do on batteries! who would have thought there was so much information :sigh:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I say go for the Akoray first and see how you like it. But the cooler color isn't as good for color rendering.

:welcome:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I say go for the Akoray first and see how you like it. But the cooler color isn't as good for color rendering.

:welcome:

x2.... not sure if its characteristic with all the Akorays, or just the WC tint-lotto but the K-109 I am borrowing is VERY pale cold tinted. It makes my RC-N3-Q5 look like a Xenon LA.