?ARC LSH-P not as bright as E1e KL1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightChucker

Enlightened
I asked my wife to help me judge the difference between these two lights (ARC LSH-P and SureFire E1e w/KL1). The conclusion was that the LSH-P was whiter, but not as bright as the KL1. This surprises me. I was expecting the LSH-P to be the brighter of the two.

They both had fresh batteries at the time of the test.

Is the LSH-P defective?

Thanks,

Chuck

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the color of the KL1 made the light seems more prominent to you than the one from LSH-P?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Have you tried switching to different batteries...?
Or have you tried holding down the clickie of the Arc-LS to see if there is a grounding problem that could affect current flow by the clickie?

Usually, the Arc is brighter and whiter...

With the variance in Luxeon Stars, if there really isn't anything wrong with the Arc, it could just be you got a particularly bright KL1... Just MHO...

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I think it's because of the way the eye perceives the bluish color of the KL1's beam. Also, because it's a low dome Luxeon you get more of a flood effect compared to your Arc LSH. When I had my Surefire E1e/KL1 I compared it to my wife's Arc LSL-ST and I could not tell any difference in output. In fact they both had the same sized beam and tint. My Arc LSH-S is definately whiter, but is has a more tighter hot spot than low domes do.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
take them outside on a dark night and see what happens. My LSHP just about stomps the E2KL1

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the purple/blue tint of the KL1 tends to make it look brighter to the average person. i had people tell me my arc AAA was brighter than a 2D maglite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had people tell me my arc AAA was brighter than a 2D maglite

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The Arc AAA can work some nifty miracles, but it's not that miraculous...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Byron Walter

Enlightened
I think that this is just due to the variations in individual Luxeons. I have two KL1's and an Arc LS1 second. The LS is pretty much the equal of my first KL1 but my second KL1 is much dimmer than either of the other two. But in fact they all work just fine. It seems that you just happened to get a very good KL1.

Remember that with the LSH-P you have a very good chance of getting an excellent emitter whereas with the KL1 your chances are more grab bag. Also you will have an extra 30 min of runtime in a much smaller package. For these reasons I prefer the LSx over the E1/KL1 combo and would not hesitate to replace my LS with another one. I also think that the KL1 works better with the E2, since this bumps up the runtime to 4 plus hours regulated with only a small increase in size.

Can't hardly wait for the LS4!

SUREFARC

Enlightened
I compared mine and really couldn't tell which was brighter. But I tend to believe the LSHP is brighter.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
All but one of my Arcs have appeared dimmer than the KL1 and that was the LS1 hybrid with the off-spec resistor.
But the LSH can certainly out throw the KL1.

Zeppert

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
i had people tell me my arc AAA was brighter than a 2D maglite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
falconfx and zeppert: unbelievable but true! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif i believe its got to do with a combination of the colour temperature of the arc AAA and its dimunative size. i did explain the difference in colour temperature and lumens output to those who said that, though of course i didn't mention how much the arc cost me. when they tell me my arc LSH-P is brighter than a 2D maglite i just smile and nod my head in acknowledgement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just by how yellow the beam is, I'm not too surprised that people would believe the AAA is brighter than the 2D... Maybe what they meant is that, per its size, the AAA has more light produced than the 2D mag...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Led-Ed

Enlightened
My KL1 was brighter than my LSH-P until I peeled the protective plasic film off the lens on the LSH-P .Now they are about the same brightness(not the same color though).

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
falconfx: i strongly suspect so; they probably unconsciously made that comparison between size and output /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif when comparing the mini maglite with the arc AAA its even harder to convince them that in spite of the colour temperature, the mini maglite is actually still marginally brighter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.