Question about terminology (ranks?) in the US Army

Niconical

Enlightened
I've been reading the book "Band of Brothers". In it at various times some officers are referred to as "Batallion S1, S2, S3, or S4". Actually maybe not S1, but certainly the other 3. Problem is, I have no idea what that means. I googled it but the references I found were by people who already know what it means and are using it in sentences, not an actual explantion.

So, what is a "Batallion S1, S2, S3, S4"

Thank you.

BTW, I don't want my own question to go off topic already at post #1, but I have to add, Band of Brothers is an impressive and moving read.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you.

BTW, I don't want my own question to go off topic already at post #1, but I have to add, Band of Brothers is an impressive and moving read.

The movie was well done, I have never read the book, it must be huge.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good series IMO. A few things have changed since then, but generally very similar. Infantry units are a different animal than most others. Those numbers are also used at Brigade and Division level as well. Brigade S1 for example, or Division S3. The letters may change though.

Redstorm

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading the book "Band of Brothers". In it at various times some officers are referred to as "Batallion S1, S2, S3, or S4". Actually maybe not S1, but certainly the other 3. Problem is, I have no idea what that means. I googled it but the references I found were by people who already know what it means and are using it in sentences, not an actual explantion.

So, what is a "Batallion S1, S2, S3, S4"

Thank you.

I think our armed forces follow the US terminology.

S1 - manpower officer
S2 - Intelligence officer
S3 - General Staff officer
S4 - Logistics officer

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The movie was well done, I have never read the book, it must be huge.

On the contrary, the book is only a few hundred pages long. The miniseries actually contains more content than the book, since they re-interviewed a lot of the soldiers involved. Most movies based on books are only a few hours long, but leave a lot out. Band of Brothers leaves virtually nothing out, but it takes 11 hours of material for a couple hundred page book.

Latest posts