Puzzled - Why is E1B 80L while M300A mini scout light 110?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen on Surefires website that the new M300A Mini-scout light that its rated at 110 Lumens and its a 1 cell light and even looks like an E1B. So I don't get why the E1B can't be 110 lumens on high as well. Anyone else notice that?

Dan FO

Enlightened
My guess is that the E1B the puts out at least 110 lumens in the real world, they just under rated it in print.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing but to me it looks like a black KL4 head more than an E1B.

I'm going to go look again. BRB.

Nope it looks like a black E2L head. Oops.

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably using a more recent XR-E bin. And I agree, recently produced E1B's are probably putting out the same, since they have the same run time. Maybe they feel the benefits of updating all the marketing literature for the E1B doesn't justify the cost right now.

zven

Enlightened
I'm guessing it's probably mostly an issue of rating systems. It's kind of seeming like SF are becoming slightly less wildly conservative in their lumen ratings. Take the E2DL and LX2 for example - it seems that the LX2 is generally brighter than the E2DL, but not by 80 lumens. My guess is that SF's output measurement techniques have been updated in some fashion, and so new models are being given more realistic ratings as they're released. If that's the case, one might wonder why their other models haven't been updated to their new rating system, but they probably have their reasons (consistency in military contracts and accounting for older releases already purchased that wouldn't meet the updated ratings, etc. seem like reasonable possibilities).

Or maybe it really is just an issue of the M300A being a more recent bin XR-E (though I wouldn't think that would account for a 30 lumen difference...).

Of course, I don't have an E1B and M300A to compare side by side, so maybe there really is a 30 lumen difference between the two? Or the runtimes are measured differently?

seale_navy

Enlightened
I reckon there might be only 2 explanation in this case. It's either surefire change their evaluation method... in light of the LX2

OR

It could be an upgrade on the LED. Only a review we will be able to tell whether there is an upgrade or not.. I shall be loooking forward to see..