Tactical Strobe - Gimmick or Useful?

sonrider657

Newly Enlightened
Are strobes on tactical lights really useful or just a worthless disco fad?

bkumanski

Enlightened
Someone once told me of a LE class given on tactics using a strobe light, but I haven't seen it here in CA. I have a light with strobe, and I would never use it in a "tactical" LE setting. Remember, you are looking at the light as well, albeit not right in the beam. It still is disorienting to the user. So while strobe may disorient the person facing the business end of the light, you have to weigh the benefit. It's like spraying pepper spray on someone: it may work, but it affects you too. Also, there are certian frequencies which disorient better than others. Mone is annoying, but not disorienting. I hear some are better at making you nauseous, but then again it will make you nauseous as well.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been discussed about a million times before. Please use the search
function.

this topic is another flame war starter

Crenshaw

hurricane

Newly Enlightened
Not sure why there's so much animosity towards SOS/strobes on this forum [and I'm not sure which side of the fence you're on]. Personally, I'm not likely to use the strobe on my Ra "tactically", but I would use it to grab someone's attention in an emergency/rescue etc. The SOS is also useful as it can emit a SOS signal when you're too cold/tired/asleep to do it yourself. Now, both of these functions are not probably going to be used everyday [hopefully], but I like knowing I have them and don't have to carry extra gear. Because they have limited usefulness in everyday use, I think they should be located at the end of a selector ring or accessible through a menu [e.g. Ra].

I only have Ra, Petzl, and SureFire lights [SureFire doesn't offer sos/strobe on flashlights] and both these settings are easy to disable on the Ra. If one doesn't stray too far from one's home, does one need these features - probably not, but if one can see how they may be applied or useful then they're great to have.

And ... I'll add, if you don't want or like it don't buy the light or disable it in the menu. There are tons of lights without these features - i.e. pick ANY SureFire for instance.

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
O.P.

Here's a thought ...........

Call your local Police , and ask if their S.W.A.T Team uses strobe when they enter a situation .

Go by that.

CSRevenant

Newly Enlightened
First off, I have little flashlight experience, and no tactical experience. That being said, I think strobe has a use for signaling and disorienting. I looked for a strobe on the light I recently bought. But they can be very irritating if the UI sucks, or if you accidentally actuate it a lot.

I think if the UI is done properly, a strobe can be helpful without being a nuisance. But, if the UI isn't good enough to handle the extra mode, its better off without a strobe.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You know what would be fun?

Let's start every day with creating a thread about sos and strobe and a Surefire love/hate thread too. Maybe even a thread about what an EMP will do to our lights!
Every single day!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :ironic:

hurricane

Newly Enlightened
come on now fellas, be nice, not everyone has 6000 posts ... that said this is a common topic! I think there was one just last week.

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
There was a nearly identical thread started just yesterday and has consistently been not only on the first page, but usually near the top. Granted, the OP there was griping about flashy modes being in the way of normal use, but most of the comments answered the question in the title of this thread.

Tom

Wilks132

Newly Enlightened
O.P.

Here's a thought ...........

Call your local Police , and ask if their S.W.A.T Team uses strobe when they enter a situation .

Go by that.

I am an LEO and on the SWAT team. We just purchased new weapon lights (Insight) WITH the strobe feature. They will also be issuing them to the entire 350 man department. Just a thought.......

With that being said. I do not believe that a strobe feature on you light is ANY sort of replacement for sound tactics. However, I do believe that they have their place and are useful in some situations. I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Further, the strobe function should not be used alone to "disorient" an attacker. It should be used to briefly "disorient' the persons vision so that you can gain a better tactical advantage over the attacker. It should not be used to blind anyone and will not eliminate the threat. They are not the "save all" for defeating an attacker. Think of it this way. Your clearing a large building, looking for....Lets say a burglar. You are walking down a long hallway, weapon drawn with rooms on both sides. Your have your weapon in your right hand and your light in your left. Moving in darkness, using a "momentary on/off as to not give away your position of "light up" your partner (this is why i like quickly accessible strobes from the off position) The burglar emerges from a room into the hallway holding a weapon. You strobe him, causing his vision to blur for a brief moment allowing you to move to cover/concealment. It did not eliminate the threat, but, gave you an advantage. And yes, I have used them in training. It works. They are also very useful in signaling on coming traffic at motor vehicle collisions.

They are not for everyone but, I think they have their place in certain situations.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what would be fun?

Let's start every day with creating a thread about sos and strobe and a Surefire love/hate thread too. Maybe even a thread about what an EMP will do to our lights!
Every single day!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :ironic:

:crackup:

i program one of the modes of my Jetbeam IBS UI to slow strobe and use it while cycling at night. lower frequency strobe is a good attention getting device when hailing a cab on a dark road or getting a buddy's attention in a crowded event.

Last edited:

Bronco

Enlightened
I find that the strobe function can be useful even in non-tactical situations. Many of the local major sports venues have rather poor lighting in their parking lots. When it's dark out and I'm ushering the kids through row after row of cars as the automotive mad dash for the exits begins, it's reassuring to have a strobing Fenix P3D in your hand grabbing the attention of everyone within a 30+ yard radius. Ditto for Halloween or when we go on evening walks in the local mountain communities that rarely have proper sidewalks.

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
I did watch a gladius drop a charging drunk on st patricks day. It was quite obvious that it was the light that made him change directions into the ground.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The Gladius does indeed have a rather puke-inducing strobe :green:.

On a lot of other lights the strobes are actually just a blinky flashing light, but the Gladius has a very well-designed and quite disorienting strobe.

How much effect it would have had if the guy hadn't been drunk is another matter.