• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Coming Soon: Netkidz Empty & Complete LED module for Surefire M3T/M4/M6/KT1/KT2/KT4

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming Soon: Netkidz Empty & Complete LED module for Surefire M3T/M4/M6/KT1/KT2/KT4

I jumped the gun and decided to start feeler thread for Netkidz Surefire LED turbo module from here --> LED Tower Please post how many you would like and if want complete or empty units.

1: DUQ - complete
2: DUQ - complete
3: Nailbender - empty
4: Nailbender - empty
5: Nailbender - empty
6: tx101 - empty
7: tx101 - empty
8: csadsuki - complete
9: Justin Case - empty
10: Justin Case - empty
11: Cornkid - complete
12: DimeRazorback - complete
13: Bullzeyebill - complete (higher output requested)
14: Divine - complete
15: Leukos - empty
16: Xrunner - complete
17: Student99 - complete
18: Superdave - empty
19: OscarTheDog - complete
20: E-J-J - complete
21: monanza - complete
22: alantch - complete
23: BearTrak - complete
24: l2azorback - complete
25: Steve in SoCal - complete
26: merrimac - complete
27: merrimac - complete
28: euroken - complete
29: jkt - complete
30: jkt - complete
31: scalez - complete
32: autogiro - complete

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Feeler: Netkidz complete LED module for Surefire M3T/M4/M6/KT1/KT2/KT4 head

Count me in for 2 empty Towers

Just me thinking out aloud ..... I wonder if a XP-G will work with these ???

csadzuki

Newly Enlightened

I would also be interested in one.

+1 on XP-G or other recent LEDs

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am interested in most likely just bare towers, but could be interested in complete towers, depending on what LED and driver are installed. What tower focus will you use for this potential run? See this post regarding tower focus. Also, will you still use a 17mm driver cavity?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Count me in for 2 empty Towers

Physically, an XP-G should fit on top of the tower stem. My Netkidz tower stems are basically the same diameter as the AW towers, and those can fit an 8mm diameter SSC P4. The XP-G substrate board is only 3.45mm square.

My guess is that there are at least two issues: 1) tower focus height, and 2) how well an SF TH reflector works with the XP-G.

The previous version of the Netkidz tower had a shorter stem than the AW towers. I'd have to do some simple calculations to estimate the tower focus needed for the XP-G vs Seoul P4 to see what spacer thickness, if any, might be needed for the XP-G.

If I had an XP-G, I'd build a tower to help answer those questions. But I don't, so I can't.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would definitely be interested in a completed tower. Any kind of runtime/output information on them?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will the LED be the same as in the linked thread?

LED: Edison-OPTO cold white KLC8

Or will a different emitter be used?

Either way put me down for one complete :thumbsup:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I would be interested. More interested if the output was a little higher.

Bill

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

I cannot answer any of your questions as I am not the one building these. Hopefully Netkidz will be along soon to answer them.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

An important difference is that the AW tower kit uses a 14mm driver cavity while the Netkidz tower has a 17mm driver cavity. With 14mm, you basically have to use the Sandwich Shoppe drivers like the BBNG, GD, or SOB. With 17mm, you can use the wider array of P60 drivers. And you still can use a 14mm driver via creative use of thermal epoxy bedding.

The AW tower comes in two stem heights -- Seoul focus and Luxeon focus. I've used the Seoul focus towers plus a shim to successfully build an MC-E tower.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I would be in for at least one empty. Thanks!

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

Physically, an XP-G should fit on top of the tower stem. My Netkidz tower stems are basically the same diameter as the AW towers, and those can fit an 8mm diameter SSC P4. The XP-G substrate board is only 3.45mm square.

My guess is that there are at least two issues: 1) tower focus height, and 2) how well an SF TH reflector works with the XP-G.

The previous version of the Netkidz tower had a shorter stem than the AW towers. I'd have to do some simple calculations to estimate the tower focus needed for the XP-G vs Seoul P4 to see what spacer thickness, if any, might be needed for the XP-G.

If I had an XP-G, I'd build a tower to help answer those questions. But I don't, so I can't.

I dont have the skill to solder a bare XP-G emitter :sigh:

I was thinking more on the lines of filing down the MCPB to fit on the
top of the tower :eek:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Between the ceramic substrate and the MCPCB, you might luck out and get an overall die height the same as that for an SSC P4 in the bare case. Cutter supplies their XP-Gs on a 10mm round. The netkidz tower is about 7.5mm diam at the top of the stem. The AW tower is about 7.3mm. The main part of both stems is about 9.5mm diam (for a good fit to the reflector opening in an SF TH). An SSC P4 is 8mm diam. So I suppose you should file away ~1mm all around from the XP-G 10mm round. Should be fairly easy. Those MCPCBs are soft and file quickly. If you file away less than 1mm all around, then the round probably will overhang the tower stem excessively and the hookup wires might stick out too far to fit through the SF TH reflector opening. However, you might be able to run the hookup wires through the half-moon cutouts that are already in the round (assuming that those cutouts result in an effective diam of 8mm or less, which would really be great since it would reduce the amount of MCPCB filing needed). The 8mm diam of the SSC P4 is small enough to allow the use of 24 ga wire to connect a driver to the LED and still clear the reflector opening by a little bit. So that would be my max target diam.

I think you should get a Netkidz and an AW tower, install an XP-G R5 on each, drive them at 1000mA, and provide beamshots of the towers installed in various SF THs. :D

Last edited:

Superdave

Enlightened

I have one of the original ones, with a little bit of shimming it works great. It would be killer with a modern LED.

put me down for at least 1 bare :)

NetKidz

Enlightened

Thanks DUQ for opening this thread. I was busy those weeks and didn't login CPF often.

Here's some quick answer:
1. It will be the same cavity for 17mm dia. driver board.
2. LED may changed.
3. For new LEDs (like XP-G or others), that tower may need re-design and test. But there's no time to do it...... :ohgeez:
4. If it's a little change of height, that's okay but will be all the same for one batch. (I couldn't make different height). Any suggeston?
5. I'm thinking of using U2-bin SSC P4, but seems it's also out-dated ;) and couldn't be driven too high. (I think 700mA is a safe limit).

If you have any suggestion, please let me know. Thanks.