good all rounder that takes 18650 cell

spankone

Enlightened
I bike and run at night to keep my fitness up and would like a good all rounder, nothing to big or expensive, any suggestion:stupid: I was thinking about an tr 801

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say go and pick up an Malkoff MD2, the two stage ring and whatever drop-in tickles your fancy - uber versatile, infinitely uprgadeable and from great folks!

Larry237

Newly Enlightened
I use my Olight M20 as an all around light and it works well at most things. It has a good throw on the beam, but has enough spill to light up close things. It has 3 light levels and a strobe and the one inch tube allows it to be used in bike mounts and some of the head mounts. It isn't wildly expensive and it uses both C123 primaries, RCR 123 rechargeables, and 18650 rechargeables. The tactical donut and the toothy bezel are removeable if you don't want those.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
of tr801 is original option with its hefty price of under 20$. i wouldnt suggest anything like olight costing 80-100$

i also think that the malkoff that costs 50$ that needs 10-50$ dropin aswell is on verge of beeing "too expensive" if original thought is in 20dollar range.

for decent quality i would suggest Solarforce L2.. (about 25$ shipped) it also allows that p60 drop-in route as the malkoff.

its cheaper and prolly not as nice as malkoff either..but i still think its one of the best bangs for buck at 25$. im happy with my three L2s (and clearly someone else liked it too as he stole one of mine).. and many others here in cpf think they are well worth their penny too.. search threads about it.

other option.. lmini2 when it comes back to stock at shiningbeam.. very slim and simple to use 3 mode. its already higher priced one.. around 45$ complete

(remember with all these lights you still need to buy charger and batteries which take 20-30dollars or so.. if you dont have them already.)

in 60 dollar range. you start to get more options.. like said malkoff. mg pli (with mce 4die led that offers wide beam which i think is good thing in your use) also you could buy a solarforce l2 and equip it with better drop-in from malkoff or dereelight. or even mce dropin too from them or from dealextreme/kaidomain.

but i dont think you make a huge mistake with solarforce L2. (as its a decent copy/clone of surefire 6p and the parts do fit from one to other!)

spankone

Enlightened
nonsence. thanks for the info I'm looking at the sub £50 market, I'll look at your suggestions tomorrow:twothumbs

Ajay

Enlightened
I recommend a p60 drop-in compatible light. Solarforce seems to be the least costly and best quality alternative to surefire. You can get some great deals on fleabay.

I was about to buy a L2 with clip (no drop-in) for $17 USD the other day but I really don't need one so I didn't buy it. Just message some of the ebay dealers and they will offer you discounts if you buy other stuff with the light, like a clip.

P60 type lights have a nice mix between flood and throw, good medium range lights. Very easy to upgrade and great overall value.

One more thing if you are picky about the tint of your lights you should buy a drop in from cpf dealers. I got some very blue and purple drop ins from DX and KD. CPF member nailbender is making some sick drop ins.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd have to say my Jetbam Jet III Pro ST does a great job, its got a nice combination of flood and throw, 3 modes each individually programmable. There's another version of this light that can take 2xCR123s as well as 18650s but mine isn't one of those.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac T10L. It has 2 modes, relatively high output on high, and one of the best beam patterns out there. It seems like you can get it for £49.95 (not counting shipping) from a couple of different sites in the UK. Anything much below that in price might have quality compromises, but solarforce does tend to be fairly reliable from what I have seen.

duboost

Enlightened
Eagletac T10L. It has 2 modes, relatively high output on high, and one of the best beam patterns out there. It seems like you can get it for £49.95 (not counting shipping) from a couple of different sites in the UK.
And even cheaper over in the marketplace :sssh:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Jetbeams would give the most flexibility with adjustable modes.

A P60 acceptable light could be good too because you can easily change the modules to you liking.

spankone

Enlightened
the jet bean looks great nice form factor etc so thats the top of the list atm

kramer5150

Flashaholic
One thing to keep an eye out for with 18650 lights is that not all are regulated at that lower voltage. Not sure if its important to you, but to some, regulation is a factor in a purchase. Selfbuilt has some excellent run-graphs here...

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/selfbuilt/C6-Hi18650.gif

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/selfbuilt/T20C2-Hi18650.gif

Off the top of my head only a few 2xRCR123 + 18650 lights are regulated with all cell combinations... T100C2, P100C2 (17670), LP-Encore, TK-12. I am really enjoying the P100C2 and am looking for its bigger tacticool brother T100C2 so I cna use 18650 cell.

amigafan2003

Enlightened
MG L-Mini II if you want one of the smallest 18650 lights.

Or

MG PLI mce-e light - a bit bigger but 450-500 lumens :)

Both are fully regulated, 3 modes and drops from high>low when battery voltage is too low so they wont leave you stranded without any light.

I use both on my mountain bike for off road night rides.

Shining Beam sells them but availability does come and go because they are so popular.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
MG L-Mini II if you want one of the smallest 18650 lights.

Or

MG PLI mce-e light - a bit bigger but 450-500 lumens :)

Both are fully regulated, 3 modes and drops from high>low when battery voltage is too low so they wont leave you stranded without any light.

I use both on my mountain bike for off road night rides.

Shining Beam sells them but availability does come and go because they are so popular.

+1 Love the Mini but I believe they are out of stock but maybe getting some more in soon, and maybe some with MC-E. You can get the optional turbo head for it for a good throwing light.

Some bikers I have read like the PLI alot and pretty sure he has them in stock. I like mine but I dont bike.

PLI thread = http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=194757

Mini II thread - http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=194446

Last edited:

spankone

Enlightened
thanks for your help guys but I went for a nite core d10 sp 1xAA instead good job to considering the 18650 cels that I order ages ago still havn't turned up

bstrickler

Enlightened
I bike and run at night to keep my fitness up and would like a good all rounder, nothing to big or expensive, any suggestion:stupid: I was thinking about an tr 801

I have a TR-801 that I'm willing to sell you (I have a better light now) for $8 shipped, when you get your batteries. You got protected 18650's, right, not the unprotected ones? If you got unprotected, just change out the batteries every chance you get (and if possible, every hour to hour and a half, to prevent overdischarge. Nobody likes dead batteries :sick2:)

(its this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095)

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I have a TR-801 that I'm willing to sell you (I have a better light now) for $8 shipped, when you get your batteries. You got protected 18650's, right, not the unprotected ones? If you got unprotected, just change out the batteries every chance you get (and if possible, every hour to hour and a half, to prevent overdischarge. Nobody likes dead batteries :sick2:)

(its this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13095)

I think OP is not in USA; on the other hand I am in USA and interested in your $8 shipped offer! I have couple of 18650 cells but no flashlight and TR801 is a perfect starter 18650 light.

- Vikas