Looking for a Backpack for hiking

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I am looking for a backpack that will be sufficient for my hiking trips. I am looking through Sports Authority and have a hard time choosing the right one. I want to buy a nice backpack that is:

-small-medium sized, not big or bulky.
-has a lot of little compartments to store my SF lights in so they don't hit each other while hiking and are padded safely so they don't move inside the bag.
-looking to store my high end SF lights, and other small hiking necessities, extra sweater, water bottle, knife, etc. so it doesn't need a huge capacity.
-the most i'll spend is maybe $70.
-the backpack shouldn't be too high-end.

If anyone knows of a backpack that could fit my needs, I'd appreciate it if you tell me.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I love me some backpacking! :D

Do you have an REI near you? They have some awesome high-quality low-price packs.

The REI Traverse 30 is $79.50, and has tons of pockets. 30 liters/1800 cubic inches. It also has 5/5 stars in their reviews (21 total reviews), which says a lot IMHO. I don't think you could do better for the money, and REI's brand of products is tried, tested, and trusted.

Right now, I'm looking at getting a Mystery Ranch pack... mmmm.... :drool:

Let us know what you end up with!

:thumbsup: john

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Great find, John! REI's gear is usually pretty good - and right now, their '08 Traverse backpacks are on sale here for $44. However, it's got 4 pockets instead of 6, so you give up a little something for the price cut...

Of course, you could also use that extra money to pick up a good Pelican case with pick-and-pluck foam, and then just drop that bad boy into your main compartment. :)

- FITP

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Even better... on sale! Good find FITP. :thumbsup: Man, I spend way too much money at REI. :broke:

JeffInChi

Enlightened
I think Kifaru makes some of the best backpacks around, and if the OP had no price limit, I would direct him/her to their website.

How about getting an old surplus US military style pack? I think that would be your cheapest and most reliable option. The A.L.I.C.E. (All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment) pack has been around since Vietnam and features an external aluminum frame, waist strap, kidney cushion, quick release straps and the pack is 3800 cu. In. They are virtually indestructable, and if you don't mind the olive drab color, they're really perfect for hiking, backpacking, and camping alike. You can find them at a military surplus store, or on ebay for around 25-50 USC. Make sure you get an entire setup with frame and straps included. Their are two basic sizes, medium and large. If there is a small, its tough to come by. These packs are great for carrying odd sized loads and can also be used as a flotation advice (will some light modifications). There are some cons though. If you're very tall (over 6'3) or very short (under 5'4) it will be uncomfortable, there is only one frame size. Also, the bag is not completely waterproof. This is easily solved by buying a waterproof bag and placing your items into it, and then placing the bag in the alice. I like the Outdoor Research HydroLite Dry Sacks. While it is true that the issued straps/kidney pad can be uncomforatble on long hikes, this is easily alleviated by purchasing an updated suspension system from any number of reputable manufacturers. A desirable modification is to replace the strap buckles with FASTEX quick release fasteners that everyone uses today. This alone makes it seem like a new backpack! When properly fitted and adjusted, the packs are great. Add a few modifications they are terrific and bulletproof!

You can also try the newer military version style, the MOLLE which has an internal frame (think its plastic though :sick2:) or the even newer ILBE. I don't know anything about that one.

Don't get a cheap bag with crap zippers though, they'll bust and pop open. In fact, try to avoid zippers period. Though there are some quality ones out there, they are few and far between.

Hope this helps.

InTheDark

Enlightened
Are you looking for a bag to hold your SF light collection, or a bag to go hiking with? How many lights are we talking about, what size, and do you plan to take all of them hiking with you?

Most hiking bags don't have individual padded orgainizer pockets, it might be easier to find some sort of pocket organizer or a tool roll to hold the lights while in the bag. Camelbak makes quite a few small/medium sized bags that would be within your budget. The sports authority around my area don't really have a very good selection of decent bags, check out REI, ebags, or Sierra trading post for a much better selection.

roadie

Enlightened
how abt 5.11 ...

rush 24 but great reviews from my ex customers while i was working for someone ....... link

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Just keep in mind that most small day packs will only carry 20-30 comfortably and for some, 30 may be pushing it depending on the framing components so try to get a handle on the weight that you'll be carrying first. Haven't tried many in that price range because I tend to opt for a beefier framing system but the traverse that was mentioned earlier appears to be nice and I like the zippered opening as opposed to a lid and drawcord shroud on some other day packs.

roadie

Enlightened
on internal frames backpacks with minimal 30 litres are essential, u nvr knw how many extra things u might carry .... i always overpack :(

medical kits, spare clothings, knives, food, water, extra water, etc etc :sick2::ohgeez:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Well thought out lashing points and sleeping pad straps on the bottom are nice as well because personally, I hate objects strapped to the sides of my pack. Water bottle pockets are essentials for me as well and preferably ones that are large enough to actually hold a water bottle.

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
how abt 5.11 ...

rush 24 but great reviews from my ex customers while i was working for someone ....... link

That one looks awesome! Very "tactical" look also nice and simple. Couldn't help but notice the SF light in there! I bought a different one though in a sports store cause I just couldn't wait. It is a Kelty Redtail 1800 in black.

Here's a link
http://kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=4&cat=3&id=505&image=810

This is a picture taken by me of the storage.:)

DSC00224.jpg

Thanks to all who replied! Some great ideas here. :thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Good brand! I've been using a Kelty Grizzly 3000 for hiking and hunting for 2-3 years now. I don't have a single objection with it.

I think I've got an old picture of it somewhere.......

yep, here it is hiding under a bunch of junk... ;)
Lightsandknives002a.jpg

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
One man's junk is another man's treasure! ;) Nice stuff!

EMS (eastern mountain sports) also has great backpacks- similar to REI. Also CAMPMOR in N.J. has great selection and prices.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For daypacks, I usually go with ripstop nylon packs from Walmart. You can get a good pack for $15-$30. These backpacks are often made with pocket organizers for school supplies which also work well for organizing flashlights. You don't have to spend $100 on a daypack to carry your flashlights around in. Any school backpack will give you plenty of places to put your lights.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Good grab, your post spurred me on to surfing the Kelty site and I was looking at the same one for you but I thought that it was out of your price range. I had an old Kelty external frame that lasted for numerous miles and I only got rid of because it no longer fit.

Have fun out there!

Latest posts