With all of the GREAT LED lights why would I spend the cash to upgrade my surefire e2

cutlass1972

Newly Enlightened
I have a surefire E2 that I have had for several years now. Recently the bulb finally gave out. In searchign for a replacement bulb I happend on soem reviews (here and elsewhere) about the Olight m20 warrior premium.

I took the plunge and will NEVER go back!

My delima is I now have a dead surefire that I refuse to buy a new incandescent bulb for (less light less battery life). But I hate to just let it go. I checked into getting the upgrade heads to switch it to LED, but for crying out loud, I could buy 2 olights for what the conversion head would cost me, before shipping!

Am I missing somethign here?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. Send me the burnt out package, I'll even pay shipping.

The great thing about Surefire E series lights is their lego ability and tons of after market accessories. Many light enthusiasts enjoy mixing and matching bodies, heads, switches.

My offer stands though! lol

Edit: WHERE IS MY MANORS. WELCOME TO CPF.

Bill

Last edited:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire upgrade head (KX2) for your light isn't a very good deal. You could get an entire new E2L on eBay for $115.

If you don't want to use your E2 in its incandescent form, nor spend money for a good upgrade head, then you should probably sell it. But you might be able to buy a discounted KX2 head on the CPF Marketplace.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire upgrade head (KX2) for your light isn't a very good deal. You could get an entire new E2L on eBay for $115.

If you don't want to use your E2 in its incandescent form, nor spend money for a good upgrade head, then you should probably sell it. But you might be able to buy a discounted KX2 head on the CPF Marketplace.

I agree, your best bet would be the marketplace. For the price of a head, you can buy a whole new light. Then there's the Malkoff VME option that allows you to run a Malkoff M60.

Because it's a SUREFIRE. 'Nuff said!
:ironic:

jlomein

Enlightened
Perhaps you may want to look at the Lumens Factory replacement bulbs for the E1e. They won't give you the advantages of LED's, but they make the light more interesting than the stock Surefire bulbs.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
You can also turn your E2 into a battery vampire to use of those 'dead' CR123s when you need a low-level light. For a 2-cell, I'd get a quality CR123 spacer from Lighthound or Battery Junction or if you're handy you can make one yourself. You'll also need a 5mm LED. I use Radioshack part 276-017.

Check out this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237648

And my post here shows the E-series lamp converted to LED. If you run it on 1 CR123 you don't need a resistor in line:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3100100&postcount=131

These 'vampires' have run on otherwise 'dead' CR123s for a long, long time. Like days long.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked into getting the upgrade heads to switch it to LED, but for crying out loud, I could buy 2 olights for what the conversion head would cost me, before shipping!

Some difference in quality, and likely in customer service, too.
Form factor and UI are the kickers for me. I don't care about SF as a brand name, but I do care about having and using what I like.
And I really like the E-series, even though they need mods for me to be happy with them, and I do end up with a good chunk of cash clipped to my pocket.
'Course I'm also a long-time gear nut, and with all the available choices we have these days, have become very particular(read that: inexplicably, and almost insanely anal) about what gets to be MY STUFF, whether flashlights, knives, or other gear.
If you're not, or the Olight just suits you, and you're happy with the performance and the price...well, that's great isn't it?

youreacrab

Enlightened
save it. get the bulb. after you've had your honeymoon with LED lights, you'll probably feel the itch for a good ole incan. the e2e is one of the best. i still use mine despite having an lx2, amongst others. one thing the e2e does better than any LED i've found is wiiiiiide spill and a good spot.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

No.

To each their own. Some people like Ford, some Chevy.

If you feel your money is better spent on the 2 Chinese lights and the suit your needs, you just answered your own question.

I'd rather have the conversion head and an E2 rather than 2 Chinese lights at the same price. But I'm not you.

MSax

Illum

Flashaholic
My delima is I now have a dead surefire that I refuse to buy a new incandescent bulb for (less light less battery life). But I hate to just let it go. I checked into getting the upgrade heads to switch it to LED, but for crying out loud, I could buy 2 olights for what the conversion head would cost me, before shipping!

cutlass, when you have enough posts to allow you to send PMs, send me a PM. I have an MN03 I have no use for, I'll ship it for free within the continental US. Its yours if you can claim it:thumbsup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I think only you can answer this question... depending on your own preferences and how much you are willing to spend for them.

IMHO you could have a KILLER little Malkoff setup with the VME head and an M60 or M30 with that E2 body. That would be $$$ well spent... IMHO.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think only you can answer this question... depending on your own preferences and how much you are willing to spend for them.

IMHO you could have a KILLER little Malkoff setup with the VME head and an M60 or M30 with that E2 body. That would be $$$ well spent... IMHO.
As others said, the Malkoff head and dropin are a very good option. THere are many different Malkoff LED modules to choose from, with different levels out output, tint, and beam patterns.

buickid

Enlightened
Even though I have great LED lights, (NT 120P, 6P with M30W drop-in) I love the tint incan has to offer. Even my M30W, with its warm tint, just doesn't have the super warmth of a good incan.

I own 3 E2x lights, and I love them. The form factor is just about right to clip in a pocket, and it fits nicely in my hand. With a HO-E2R lamp assembly from Lumens Factory, and a couple of AW's 16340 cells, you can have yourself an bright, compact incan, and an extremely durable one at that. The E2 feels and probably is the most "solid" light I own. Chinese lights are probably great, but to me, Surefire is excellent. Don't disregard the Surefire, get that bulb and some rechargables. You'll feel the love once the fun of the LED wears off ;)

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
I have a surefire E2 that I have had for several years now. Recently the bulb finally gave out. In searchign for a replacement bulb I happend on soem reviews (here and elsewhere) about the Olight m20 warrior premium.

I took the plunge and will NEVER go back!

Well, I suppose it depends on where you're looking and what you want. There are some very attractive alternatives.

1. Sell your E2 on CPFMP. You can probably get more than enough to get rechargeable cells and a charger for your M20.
  2. Get better bulbs from Lumens Factory. You can get a high-output (150 lumens) lamp assembly that requires Li-ion rechargeable cells. (which you were getting for your M20 anyway. Right?) You can get a special high-output lamp assembly (350 lumens) that requires IMR16340 cells (and the same charger you're using for your M20). I have one of the 350 lumen lamp assemblies and enjoy it a lot! :twothumbs
  3. Get a TLS TX2 head from Optics HQ for a Q5 LED with two output levels (30 or 220 lumens) on primary (CR123A) or rechargeable (RCR123A) cells.
  4. Get a SureFire MN02 low output (25 lumens) lamp assembly so you have something that won't blind you or make local aircraft think your location is the runway. :laughing: We don't always need 5 million lumens in a compact, hand-held package.
  5. Follow gallonoffuel's suggestion to modify your burned out MN03 for even lower, perhaps more useful at times, output. (I'm looking forward to my first blown MN0? lamp so I can do this. I'm too cheap to break a perfectly good bulb so I can replace it with an LED. :candle:)
We could go on for a while, but the bottom line is that you have choices. You get to pick the one that makes the most sense to you.