FIXED: background shifted right & down on Windows XP

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I have a nice photo of flashlights (Raw Da & FancyFli) as my background on my laptop and somehow it gets shifted down and to the right on the screen.

Photo below just because I like it.
647448878_qyxGK-M.jpg

(I have since rotated it 2 degrees CCW...)

I'm having other problems so I reload everything (format HD, reload windows, etc, etc,). Problem solved. HOWEVER, when windows is going through it's automatic updates when it gets the SP3 update I have the same thing happen.

Did a search on google - limited info back (all I found was soln below - didn't do anything for me)... Ideas?

Hi, Vista does seem to have some gliches here. Try right click in the desktop and select "personalize" then open "Desktop Application" select any other background and apply . Then go back and this time select your background, make sure you put a check in full screen display at the bottom. I think it is to do with shell32, to stop happening again go to start run and type:- press enter (copy and paste)

regsvr32 shell32.dll

Last edited:

doktor_x

Newly Enlightened
Re: background shifted right & down on Windows XP

My first guess would be that the image is of greater resolution than the display setting and that the "Position" (desktop tab of display properties) is set to something other than "stretch". I'd have to do some digging beyond that.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope not that - I've gone to using a smaller file and doing "tile", but it's still shifted to the right. On the large file doing a stretch it used to fill it - now it doesn't... :sick2:

Appreciate the idea. I've joined a windows troubleshooting forum and hope to get some help there - but I don't know what those guys are like....lovecpf

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmm.. send me the high res shot, and your screen res. I'll resize it to exactly fit your desktop? would that fix it?

what background color are you using?

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doesn't work - on center, stretch or tile - the bottom ~20% is missing as well as the right ~20%.

Actually I have it on dual monitors right now & the right 20% carries over to the external monitor.

When I look at it on the display properties (in either mode; center, stretch or tile) I see just the picture fitting nicely to the screen. But on the display(s) it doesn't fit.

It's as if it thinks my screen is that much larger for the background.....

Any other ideas anyone?

(incidentally no responses on the XP windows tech forum) lovecpf

Had a reply on windows tech forum - try resizing the resolution - tried didn't work, but will try later when it's just laptop screen (undocked).

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

My stupid task bar suddenly moved to the right side of the screen a few weeks ago and I STILL can't figure out how to get it back at the bottom!!:rant::hairpull:

HELP PLEASE!!!:shrug:

EDIT: NEVERMIND....I FIGURED IT OUT!!

GOOD TO HAVE MY SCREEN BACK TO NORMAL!
Thanks for the tips!!

Last edited: