AAA light: fenix vs liteflux

adrianmariano

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a AAA light to put on a keychain and wondering if anybody has any comments on the fenix LD01 vs the liteflux LF2XT. I'm leaning towards the liteflux for it's lower low and the warmer beam.

Can either of these lights tailstand when attached to a keyring?

Any other multilevel AAA light I should consider?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
both lights can tailstand.
do you want pics?

for cheap price, check out the maratac AAA or the itp A3 (the itp has a pretty low low, but slow PWM).

the liteflux is one of the best offerings at the moment, though

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to customise your light to your own precise usage, the lightflux is better. It takes a bit of doing to get absolutly right, but once its right, you'll like it a lot.

if you just wanna use the darn thing, the LD01 is better. Do note that for the Lf2XT, the beam is very floody, you wont get much throw out of it. the LF2X has a beam almost identical to the LD01

heres comparison i did a while back, thats still sort of valid
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/197358

the Ld01 has a slightly more throwey beam than the L0D q4 if i recall. Also, the LF2X is much brighter than the LF2XT

I have a modified LF2X with a warm LED inside Im selling if you're interesterd. :)

Crenshaw

Last edited:

d1337

Enlightened
I have both the fenix and the liteflux.

I love the smooth beam and the looks of the liteflux but hate the size and the UI. I bought it because I wanted a clicky and to be able to set it up the way I wanted it. What I found was that the clicky had a pause to it that shouldn't drive me crazy but it does. Another issue is that I tend to click the light on and off when I'm board and some how end up reprogramming it. This is more my issue than an issue with the design but ultimately makes it the "coolest" light that I never use.

The fenix is great I have it in both the SS and the aluminum models as well as the older LOD-CE Q4. I really like these lights but something always kept me from carrying them everyday.

I ended up buying a Maratac AAA thinking that it might be a good gift for a friend. I ended up liking it so much that I put it on my key-chain and have used it as my EDC ever since. It is hands down the best of my AAA lights. Even though it is cheaper than all of these other AAA lights I would still pick this light if they all cost the same. Why? The low low is useful for 75% of what I do and gives me so much more runtime. I forget what the runetime for the fexix is on low maybe rated at 10 hours but really more like 7 or 8? I know that the Maratac is rated at 50 hours and I have let it run for 24 hours on alkaline and it was still going strong when I stopped the test. The smaller size made a bigger difference than I thought it would but it makes it easier to carry on my keychain. The beam, while not as good as the liteflux is better than the fenix.

Lastly... You mighy want to know that 4-Sevens and Titanium Innovations will be coming out with a AAA light in the next 30 days or so. I hope this helps.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both as well. I use my LF2XT the most. It is the most versatile AAA in the market today. Not as bright as the LD01, but color differentiating great with the Q4 version.

If you want all out power, get the LD01 and use a 10440 cell. I am estimating it's brightness around the 140-160 range.

Seb71

Newly Enlightened
You mighy want to know that 4-Sevens and Titanium Innovations will be coming out with a AAA light in the next 30 days or so.
Do you know more details about this flashlight (modes - lumens and duration, type of switch, LED tint, type of beam, price)?

adrianmariano

Newly Enlightened
do you want pics?
Sure! I know that both lights can tail stand...but want to know if they can tailstand while attached to a key right. In other words, I don't want to have to remove it from its ring to tailstand. (The ring will separate from the keychain, but it's not so easy to get the ring off the light.) The key ring loop on the lf2xt looks like it might force the keyring into a vertical orientation.

The maratac looks interesting. Does it tailstand while on a ring? I saw a giant long thread about it but haven't seen a concise review. (I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing.) Looks like it's brighter than the fenix? I intend to run this light on the energizer lithium L92 cells if that matters.

I'm in no rush, I if something's coming out in 30 days I'll wait and see.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure! I know that both lights can tail stand...but want to know if they can tailstand while attached to a key right. In other words, I don't want to have to remove it from its ring to tailstand. (The ring will separate from the keychain, but it's not so easy to get the ring off the light.) The key ring loop on the lf2xt looks like it might force the keyring into a vertical orientation.

The maratac looks interesting. Does it tailstand while on a ring? I saw a giant long thread about it but haven't seen a concise review. (I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing.) Looks like it's brighter than the fenix? I intend to run this light on the energizer lithium L92 cells if that matters.

I'm in no rush, I if something's coming out in 30 days I'll wait and see.
IMO, the Maratac is the winner you're looking for. It can tailstand while attached to a keyring w/o problems (the attachment piece is placed at the tail side), has a very well compensated 3 modes, nice beamshot, much better than Fenix's L0D/LD01, weighs just only 10 g in Al, grippy knurling, nice design... I have also the liteflux lf2x, fenix L0D and LD01 (and over 50 models more) but none of them can beat it (except ITP EOS wich doesn't tailstand however). But as other folks have said, there are a bunch of new AAA lights coming out to market next days.

Side-note: If you are outside US and want to purchase some Maratac look at the Cuso's Group Buy Feeler at CPFMarketplace. He is taking reservations now.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=199773

Spence

Enlightened
I don't know if I got a defective LF2XT but I could not get the UI right, and returned it. I consider my LD01 SS my little work horse, it is very dependable and a rugged tool. I wear mine on a ball chain lanyard. The Maratac AAA is a fine light for your collection but I don't consider it as utilitarian as the LD01 SS. Good luck.
:poke:
buttrock.gif

adrianmariano

Newly Enlightened
What makes the Maratac SS less utilitarian than the fenix? I was thinking a lower low than the Fenix would be nice, which is the main thing that drew me to the liteflux, and the Maratac has that.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What makes the Maratac SS less utilitarian than the fenix? I was thinking a lower low than the Fenix would be nice, which is the main thing that drew me to the liteflux, and the Maratac has that.

I wonder the same. I have 3 L0D and 1 LD01. All they have a bit more weighed Al alloy, and that's all, regarding strength. Everything else in Maratac is better for me (beamshot, design, grip, weight, handling, modes...). It's my EDC flashlight a month ago and I'm very happy with it ;)

thedeske

Enlightened
do you want pics?
Sure! I know that both lights can tail stand...but want to know if they can tailstand while attached to a key right. In other words, I don't want to have to remove it from its ring to tailstand.
There's a notch between the ring holes for the ring to nest. Since the tiny ring needs to be flat for the task, your larger ring might effect the balance if it's heavy or unable to go vertical to a point. Much easier with a claw attached.

Last edited:

adrianmariano

Newly Enlightened
There's a notch between the ring holes for the ring to nest. Since the tiny ring needs to be flat for the task, your larger ring might effect the balance if it's heavy or unable to go vertical to a point. Much easier with a claw attached.

Which light(s) are you talking about? The Fenix looks like it has holes and a notch, so maybe the keyring goes through that somehow. But the Maratac and Liteflux look like they have a small ring that is oriented the wrong way so that the key ring will have to stand up vertically. (Might be OK if the key ring isn't too big.)

What do you mean by a claw?

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Which light(s) are you talking about? The Fenix looks like it has holes and a notch, so maybe the keyring goes through that somehow. But the Maratac and Liteflux look like they have a small ring that is oriented the wrong way so that the key ring will have to stand up vertically. (Might be OK if the key ring isn't too big.)

What do you mean by a claw?

Fenix LD01 tailstanding with the lobster claw attachment:

21102009.jpg

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
the fenix tailstands easily:
IMG_0199-800.jpg

but the liteflux needs to be on the edge of the keyring so it doesn't force the ring to be vertical.
IMG_0197-800.jpg

these are done with the rings included in the packages.

the ITP does not tailstand.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I have both an L0D and a LF2XT and would pick the LiteFlux hands down. The switch is worth any increased length and the UI is completely customizable. If saving some dough is important try the Maratac.

Geoff