Surefire G2 throw question?

bodybagged

Newly Enlightened
I can't find the G2 sticky thread, but my question is the following.

I like using the G2 because it fits in the Surefire Holster (I'm a Deputy Sheriff) Question is what is the best drop-in for throw? I'm not worried about runtime but I am concerned about throw.

Also is there a clicky tailcap for the G2 that fits in the surefire holster?

I know that the G2 has problems with heat what is the name of the flashlight that looks just like the G2 but is metal?

TIA

87gn

Newly Enlightened
Surefire sells the G2 LED which has a metal head and is good for indoors and limited outdoor use, but isn't the best option for longer range searching IMHO.

Malkoff makes good drop in LEDs for throw. The all-metal brother to the G2 is the 6P, by the way. I think the Surefire clicky tailcap fits in their holster, but it's pricey. Probably the most affordable way to get it is to buy a 6P Defender, considering that the light isn't much more than the tailcap by itself.

zven

Enlightened
This is the thread (sticky in the LED forum) on P60 drop-ins for the G2, 6P, et al.

I don't remember offhand which drop-in has the best throw, but I'm fairly certain it'll be something with a smooth reflector. Personally, I'm happy with the throw of my Malkoff M60, but I think something like the Dereelight 1SM-2 R2 SMO might have a more throwy hotspot. And, of course, there are a ton of others out there that may be comparable to those, or exceed them (it's been a while since I did the research on this...).

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best throwing drop-in that I've seen is the Malkoff M60. I've tried several P60 LED modules (but not all), and the Malkoff is the only one that could beat the standard P60 lamp in throw.

The metal counterpart to the G2 is the 6P.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question is what is the best drop-in for throw?
Right now something with a R2 Cree XR-E and polished reflector. A Dereelight P60-sized dropin would be one of the higher quality factory choices(dereelight.com - flashlightconnection.com<great dealer), but you can search for threads started by "nailbender" for his P60 drop-in thread, which will have a variety of emitter and reflector options. The popular Malkoff M60 is not a pure thrower, but does have decent throw, a great overall beam, and top-notch quality and service from the maker(malkoffdevices.com)

Also is there a clicky tailcap for the G2 that fits in the surefire holster?
Z58/Z59.

I know that the G2 has problems with heat what is the name of the flashlight that looks just like the G2 but is metal?
6P. Don't fall for "add an aluminum bezel" as a solution. You do want an aluminum body for efficient heat transfer if running a high output dropin for any length of time.

bodybagged

Newly Enlightened
Wow thanks for the very quick responses. Where can I get that tailcap from? And can anyone confirm if it still fits in the holster?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dereelight P60 Drop-Ins are some of the brightest around (~10,000 lux with the smooth reflector), but they don't like the Surefire G2 host. The G2 has a thin metal sleeve inside the body tube which is used for the ground path... the Dereelight Drop-Ins don't mate too well with it and may have contact issues. They do work great in the Surefire 6P, 9P, C2, and C3. :D

Last edited:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow thanks for the very quick responses. Where can I get that tailcap from? And can anyone confirm if it still fits in the holster?

If you are speaking of the Z58, you can find them at the Buy/Sell/Trade over at the Marketplace or from one of the many dealers advertising there too.

shark_za

Enlightened
The Lumens Factory D26 high output LED is quite a thrower but I would have reservations running it in a G2 for long.

You would be better off with a 6P and even better still is to get a Solarforce 18650 body and a Surefire rear switch.

I suppose CR123's are provided for you but I like recharge option.
How often do you patrol with a light that may have less than 50% capacity on hand?
When to change batteries?

With Li-Ion 18650 you just charge em and know they are ready before each shift.

buickid

Enlightened
I have a Surefire 6P, bored out for 18650s running a Malkoff M30W, with an Surefire FM35 Red Beamfilter attached. All that rides in a Surefire V21 Quick-Detach Nylon holster. I also have a Z58 Click-on/off switch in my box of parts, and I confirmed that everything fits. The V21 has plenty of room, even with the Beamfilter the flap has room to close (as advertised)

Hope this helps. :)

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best throwing drop-in that I've seen is the Malkoff M60. I've tried several P60 LED modules (but not all), and the Malkoff is the only one that could beat the standard P60 lamp in throw.

The metal counterpart to the G2 is the 6P.

really?!?!?! I found malkoffs to be the floodiest dropins I have ever encountered.

bodybagged

Newly Enlightened
how do I upgrade my g2 or 6p to a rechargeable? My dept does not provide me with batteries.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
FWIW I have used an LED drop-in (with a deep reflector) that slightly outthrows my Malkoff M60 (with the optic), but I find that the transition between the small, bright hotspot and the weak surrounding spill is too abrupt for my taste. My Malkoff throws nearly as well, but I really like the gradual transition between hotspot and spill that occurs from the optic in the Malkoff. Others on CPF have posted with similar opinions.

Also, when it comes to managing heat (a relevant concern in the all-nitrolon G2 or the nitrolon/aluminum G2L), the huge brass heatsink in the Malkoff is tops.

My two lumens,

bodybagged

Newly Enlightened
FWIW I have used an LED drop-in (with a deep reflector) that slightly outthrows my Malkoff M60 (with the optic), but I find that the transition between the small, bright hotspot and the weak surrounding spill is too abrupt for my taste. My Malkoff throws nearly as well, but I really like the gradual transition between hotspot and spill that occurs from the optic in the Malkoff. Others on CPF have posted with similar opinions.

Also, when it comes to managing heat (a relevant concern in the all-nitrolon G2 or the nitrolon/aluminum G2L), the huge brass heatsink in the Malkoff is tops.

My two lumens,

It appears my choice is an obvious one. I'll be ordering the Malkoff M60 drop in. Now what are my choices for upgrading to rechargeable?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 will run on 2-3 primaries, or 2 Li-ion cells.
For the 6P and other 2x123 models, 2 rechargeable cells the same size as your regular lithiums can be used. They're usually called R123s, 16340s, or RCR123s.
AW's protected cells are the most highly recommended, and widely used by the membership here.
You'll need a charger that will charge 2 3.7V 16340-sized cells, and the cells themselves in multiples of two.
Here is AW's sale thread in the marketplace:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=200812
The protected R123A 750mAh is what you're looking for.
These will give an hour of constant brightness from your M60, but will cut off abruptly around 1hr. 5min.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
It appears my choice is an obvious one. I'll be ordering the Malkoff M60 drop in. Now what are my choices for upgrading to rechargeable?
  • If you have the nitrolon bezel / nitrolon body (the G2), you shouldn't run the full-power Malkoff M60 for extended runs, the M60L would be just the ticket for ~140 lumens and ~4 hrs on 2xCR123 primaries.
  • If you have the aluminum bezel / nitrolon body (the G2L and perhaps newer G2's?), the M60 will be borderline with regards to heat but should work (per an e-mail from Gene Malkoff).
Best configuration, if you don't have an all-aluminum 6P:

Run the full-power M60 in an aluminum bezel / nitrolon body, but with a (single) 1x17670 LiIon rechargeable for ~200 lumens (initial, with a graceful decline in output as the single LiIon cell is depleted). This will give you FAR more useful runtime than 2xRCR123 LiIons.

I run my M60 on 1x18650 a lot and it's a great setup, I can't perceive any loss in intensity compared to running on 2xCR123 or 2x17500. DHart has measured M60 outputs on single (relatively large) LiIon cells such as the 18650 and 17670, and the output loss is on the order of 10-20%, but will give you considerably extended runtimes (something like twice as long at near-maximum output, plus hours of declining but still-usable output) and less heat, enough to provide a slight margin of safety in an aluminum bezel / nitrolon host. Another option is the Malkoff M30 for the full ~240 lumens, but runtimes will be shorter (and the LED-killing heat may be too much in the nitrolon host). However, even the M30 on 1x17670 will give considerably longer runtimes than the M60 will on 2xRCR123, and will be just as bright.

No matter what LED module you use, one protected 17670 LiIon has ~50% more watt-hours than two protected RCR123's, for the same overall length. Also, I've read posts about other LED modules doing considerably poorer on 3.7v compared to 5-7.5v, the Malkoff M60 is pretty good in this regard, running at 80-90% of maximum on 3.7v (depending on the physical size of the LiIon rechargeable - the larger cells such as 17670 and 18650 perform better because they suffer less voltage drop under load).

Read these threads for more info:

Using the Malkoff M60 (a two cell LED drop-in) with a single (large-capacity, protected) 3.7v LiIon cell, obtaining near-maximum output, extended runtimes, and a long, graceful decline in output upon cell depletion (instead of a rapid cut-out upon triggering of the cells' protection circuit).
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=227576
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=226590
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=194879 (good Malkoff overview but also has some specific info on the M60 w/1xLiIon)

Edit: there is just so much information in that last (long) thread I cited, I found that I had to re-read it a few times to absorb all the info there as I learned about Malkoff & LiIon options on CPF.

Sending you a PM, check your inbox...

Last edited:

bodybagged

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much for the info, and the links. I'll do some reading and some ordering.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the beamshots I've seen the M60 does two things very well: Throw and give plenty of spill.

I always liked the beam of my old TK10 because it gave me a good hotspot that could throw but had plenty of spill. When clearing larger buildings it was very handy. The TK10 is no longer alive but hope fully the M30 I'm getting soon will last longer because the beamshots show some similarity I believe.

Tremendo

Enlightened
I've got several G2's and a month ago or so I got a CREE R2 Drop in from Lighthound and it is a killer throw monster. It's rated at 200 lumens, and I don't doubt it. It's way brighter than my U2, Pd20, etc, and throw wise it kills everything I have. If I needed another thrower like that, I'd get another in a heartbeat. I have no idea of runtime, as that's not my concern with that light. $19.95 at Lighthound.