Optics in a Surefire 6P?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all!

I am trying to understand how do people do it...I mean use a drop-in with an optic in a SF 6P and clone's body...
does that invold installing the optic with the jammed cree and pill on the socket, THEN putting the flashlight body on and gently screwin it?

thanks, kostas

flip

Enlightened
In the one I tried, I simply replaced the factory lens with an aspherical lens and put it all back together normally. You will get some weird ring patterns around the hot spot from the reflector. I painted the reflector flat black using high temp spray paint and that then left just the hot spot. I was using a Surefire 6P and I never could get the lens far enough away from the emitter to get the focus right.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
The problem is most P60 style LED dropins require a very short FL, in the 20mm range. To get a 26mm optic (28mm overall diameter, but you need the lip for the retaining ring), with a 20mm FL requires a pretty thick lens, and there are limited commercial uses for these. I have used a few with focal lengths of 30mm +- a few mm with varying success. Some of the beams are downright ugly, while some are soft squares. They ALL shift the beam color to the blue side.

EDIT: My post was in response to Flip, not the OP. I'm not sure about TIR optics with 6P dropins.