Help with Solitaire LED Mod (P4 Q5 MC-E etc...) & 10440

Mrija

Newly Enlightened
Hey Folks!

First post here, so sorry if it may seem same question over again... I read most if not all posts concerning a Mag Solitaire mod with LED.
Either they're not with an 10440 Li-ion, or are using Nichtia stuff, or some link broken and i cannot access some material or...

So here i am asking for help. I have a Solitaire, and would like to upgrade it to something a little more powerful. I already have a LED Bipin upgrade (LT3 style) (link: http://cgi.ebay.de/Bi-Pin-LED-MODULE-FOR-MAGLITE-SOLITAIRE_W0QQitemZ110448320648QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b73ba088)

Nice, but i'd like something more powerful. I just moded a Mag 2D, with 18650 and the TLE-300 550+lumens drop in. Not that I'd want the Solitaire to compete, but at my stage the Solitaire look a little too "useless" compared to...

As CPF doesnt seem to let me PM anyone, haven't figured out why yet, are there any members who would accept to mod my Solitaire for me, or provide me with some (not too complicated, I'm no electric god or else...just simple mortal) step by step instructions. I heard Ganp seems to be doing :goodjob: mods but i cant get in touch as PM :banned: for me so far... :anyone: else out there?

I know there are heat problems with Cree of SSC (P4s Q5s MC-Es or similar power stuff) but would like a compromise of some sort. Not interested in button cells stuffed together or else... Li-ion rechargeable seems the best for me.

Buying a new flashlight ain't really an option, I love my Solitaire and it's personalized :naughty:

Thanks in advance for your :help:

:bow:

Mrija

Al Combs

Enlightened
:welcome:

Yeah you have to wait a bit on the PM's so the system knows you're not a spammer. I don't know the rules on that one as far as time or number of posts. Checking the rules on a new forum is always a good idea. Hmm, that didn't come out quite right. :eek:

As far as Solitaire mod's go, by far the two best I've seen are by the same guy. The first uses a Carclo TIR and the second is an aspheric. Both use Cree's new XP-E and 10440 Li-Ions. Ma_Sha1 estimated the output at between 150-200 lumens. Not as bright as a TLE-300, but for something as small as a Solitaire...

Someone else is sure to mention this, so you may want to do a search for Li-Ion safety issues. Since nobody makes 10440's with protection circuits, over-discharge and short circuits in homemade wiring become important. YouTube has some really impressive fire videos related to Li-Ion. BatteryUniversity is a very educational site.

Happy Modding :wave:

Mrija

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks Guys!!

And thanks for the warm welcome!! :twothumbs

Well i a thinking about both versions. In the meanwhile i just invented a new mod. Might seems quite simple to you folks, but was my first one: so i took the TLE20 from my 2AAA miniM*g and sandpapered the side down so that it fits the Solitaire. In the process it went through the sharpening machine (duno the english name for it, big round sharpening stone, turning at high speed) as it got pulled out of my hand, but it survived it very well.

Now waiting to find some nice 10440 to stick in. I also had to shorten up the reflector but that wasn't a big deal, took it out and cut it in half...

Should do for a start, later, as i get some practice i'll try one of these recommended techniques!

Cheers !

Mrija -> slightly :candle:

Rexlion

Enlightened
I hope it's ok to get in on this thread with my questions, instead of starting a new one. I have a relative who is a big Jeff Gordon (nascar) fan, so I just picked up a Gordon Solitaire on ebay. Modding lights is not for me, but I could probably get by if there were just a drop-in module of some type... is there anything that simple? The other issue is, this light would need to still run off a AAA because it's going to someone who is not going to want to mess around with li-ions. Do I have any options at all, or should I just wrap the Solitaire up and give it to him the way it is?

Mrija

Newly Enlightened
Hi Rexlion,

I end up giving advice on the same post where i asked for some... :naughty:

Well as far as drop in modules go there are plenty around. Actually Candelpower forum has several threads dealing with these.

But here are some links:
http://www.led-replacement.com/lt-3.html
http://www.lambdalights.com/solitaire.html

and if you bother checking that famous electronic Bay auction site, you might get lucky.

I would be willing to offer you mine ("Bi-Pin LED Module for solitaire") as soon as i get the replacement for Li-ion (already shipped) but you can find it on the mentioned auction site cheaper then i can ship it to you.:whistle:

Hope this helps!

Mrija

Rexlion

Enlightened
Mrija, thanks for the links but both show as no longer available or sold out. I looked on ebay just now and that is an option, I guess, but I was hoping for quite a bit more than 3.5 lumens. 20 or 30 lumens at least to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Mrija

Newly Enlightened
Hi Rexlion,
sure, but it was to give you an idea of what you're looking for :poke:. fleebay has some (outa honkong i believe) just try a search wth "solitaire led".
I gota check out the shipping to the US, and if not too expensive i can offer you a deal on mine.
Enjoy ur sunday!

Mrija

Mrija

Newly Enlightened
Actually if you check the very first link in my original post that's what you're looking for. It doesn't get any more powerful, unless you wana dismouns a 12v lr44 and weld in some resistor or use liion...