Solarforce question

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
I've gotten some Solarforce lights off thEbay from Chinese vendors, and all of them have come with the same single mode drop-in. The label on it is white and says only SolarForce. No indication of what kind of LED it is. I have 3 of them now. They are pretty bright, I'm thinking they are Q5 but looking at Jake's web page http://www.sbflashlights.com/Solarforce-Dropins-c12/ there is nothing like that shown.

http://www.solarforce.hk/PRD/main.jsp shows that they might be IR or UV but that doesn't make sense, and they don't seem to be bright in the red or blue.

Any ideas about these? I can post pics if needed.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I recently received one exactly as you describe.

It has a deep reflector and throws pretty well. The tint is a little on the blue side. It does not even function on 1xCR123, it seemed to run fine on an IMR16340. I'm currently running it on 2x17500 and it's pretty darn bright, the hotspot is somewhat smaller than my Malkoff M60 and appears to be slightly more intense. No rings or artifacts in the beam at all.

Unfortunately I cannot offer any technical information.

Edit: And then, just after an initial check-out, I dropped it onto my lineoleum floor, breaking the two small solder beads holding the driver in. :ohgeez:
Got it re-soldered and it's been working fine. :shrug:

Last edited:

mknewman

Newly Enlightened

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm .

Well , I don't know ?

You cant link to Ebay Vendor ? or the light purchased .

My guess would be its R2 single mode , only way to tell would be a comparison in a light box . I haven't seen any L2's with a Cree P4 emitter .

Most L2's are R2 or Q5 .. Either way , should serve you well .

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure ya'll are right about the R2, I've done some more research and that appears to be a legit Solarforce LED that is in their .hk web site but Jake and Lighthound don't sell it over here in the states. I'm pretty happy with them, I have 3 now, they are about 200 lumens and very nice color, snd since they came with the lights I have no complaints.