What LED flashlight is sitting on your nightstand?

OutGunned321

Newly Enlightened
I have a Streamlight Polytac LED with a glow-in-the-dark o-ring wrapped around the tailcap on either side of the bed on the nightstands for emergency lighting. And I also have an ASP LED that happens to have an expandable baton attached to it on the nightstand on the side of the bed that I normally sleep on. The ASP also has a glow-in-the-dark o-ring wrapped around each end.

I am very sensitive to light from alarm clocks and such on nightstands but the glow from the o-rings is not bothersome at all and I actually find them quite comforting due to the ease they grant me in getting a hand on what I need most in the dark.

I bought the Streamlights before discovering this forum, otherwise I would have found much better flashlights to buy for $35 each. Although I will say that the output, beam quality, and forward clicky on them is good enough for me to leave them there without investing more to replace them for now.

Although, if something waaaay better for nightstand duty were to be recommended, I'd definitely look into it. :twothumbs

In a fire, I could use these to navigate under smoke and through darkness to get my family out of the house. If I'm woken by gunfire (wouldn't be the first time) I can use one of the flashlights to get to the other flashlight that happens to have an AR-15 attached to it (what a great accessory that little carbine makes for my flashlight).

If I need extremely fast access to some force, then the flashlight with the expandable baton attached to it is very convenient :twak: without being as dangerous as a loaded handgun left sitting on the nightstand. And it has the light needed to get to my AR-15 if I do need a firearm.:xyxgun: (There are nightstand handgun safes that offer relatively fast access, but this is just the route I went.)

Anyways, I just thought I'd ask if other people keep a flashlight on their nightstand for any reason so that I could learn from them. I'd assume most people just have their EDC flashlight sitting on their nightstand (mine goes in my valet box next to the bedroom door), but maybe a few others have dedicated nightstand lights.

------------

Update 27OCT09:

After looking into all the lights you have on your nightstands, I definitely need to invest some more money into my nightstand lights. Begone Streamlights! I'll relegate you to random closet duty as soon as your state-of-the-art-yet-still-competitively-priced-replacements show up! :grin2:

The key feature I want in a nightstand flashlight is being able to easily select a really low output mode (to prevent waking others and to conserve power) for routine nighttime tasks while still having the critical high output mode for emergencies.

I've also decided to switch to AA battery powered flashlights for nightstand duty since the batteries may need to be replaced more often if habitually used.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
right now.. I have a Jetbeam III-m warm, III-m R2, and a dereelight C2H.

all capable of very low lows ;)

javajoe

Newly Enlightened
I don't keep one on my nightstand, but my wife keeps a Dorcy 1AAA which is perfect for when she wants to check on our dog in the middle of the night (he sleeps in his crate next to our bed). It's not blindingly bright but gives way better light than just opening a cell phone

OutGunned321

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the low settings were the first thing I noticed that all these state-of-the-art flashlights have that the Streamlights don't. Very useful for when the flashlights need to be used for more routine things like late-night trips to the bathroom without waking up my other half and saving battery power in the process.

I need to look into this now. :grin2:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Many of my lights end up in a cabinet that's part of my nightstand, but the ones in easy reach are my LiteFluxes, Proton Pro, L1, and Photon ReX.

Geoff

bansuri

Enlightened
+1!
For me, low is the new high.

Yeah, the low settings were the first thing I noticed that all these state-of-the-art flashlights have that the Streamlights don't. Very useful for when the flashlights need to be used for more routine things like late-night trips to the bathroom without waking up my other half and saving battery power in the process.

I need to look into this now. :grin2:

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Either my $urefire C2 with Malkoff M60 or my Vital Gear FB2 w/VME head and Malkoff M60 or $urefire C3 with Malkoff M60F. It all depends on what I was carrying during the day.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
I have a M30 Triton on my nite stand and there's a L5 SureFire on my wifes.
Billy

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my LF2XT 2nd run titanium version with a dark blue trit on the nightstand, it replaced the LF3XT. It's used mainly on Low by night to go to the bathroom

My wife has an Olight T10 for when she needs it (she still preffers to use the "normal" lights at night)...

bob4apple

Enlightened
If I'm woken by gunfire (wouldn't be the first time) I can use one of the flashlights to get to the other flashlight that happens to have an AR-15 attached to it (what a great accessory that little carbine makes for my flashlight).

Geez, I know everything is "Tougher in Alaska", but are the neighborhoods that bad? I figured grizzly bears would
be the biggest problem, not automatic weapon fire. Uhhh, it's not the bears that are armed, is it?

Reijer

Newly Enlightened
My nightstand most of the time has the PD30 on it, with the Mag 4D w/Malkoff drop-in standing beside it :)
When the Quark 123 has found its way to the nightstand as well, I can "survive" an entire night with either 0.3 lumes, or 240 lumens when necessary :crazy:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
3P Clone (Fivemega and Surefire parts) with a P60 5mm battery vampire for night time navigating. Also a 2C mag with frosted lens and no reflector to illuminate the entire living room if I need to. Finally, a Surefire 6PL mounted to a Winchester 1200.

BigD64

Enlightened
Surefire Kroma and Surefire LX2. Kroma is to check on the kids or head to the bathroom without waking the wife, LX2 is for things that go bump in the night along with my Para Carry 45.

LoM

Newly Enlightened
A world of miracle and magnets (or in Portugal)
Used to have my Fenix L1D but after waking up my wife a couple of times and almost blinding myself once opted fo the old solitaire. I know its not led but its also the only light I have weak enough to use late at night without causing major sleep disorders in the family :tired:

Nevertheless I have an army of Led lights just standing in my bedroom drawer, including 3 different Fenix L0D, 1 ITP EO3, 1 Akoray K-something and a couple of other budget AAA lights:candle: