Red Hot Chile Peppers!!

donn_

Flashaholic
Literally!

IMGP3035.jpg

These are Naga (Bhut) Jolokia Peppers, the hottest in the world, with specimens clocking over 1 million Scoville Units (Habs are 2-300,000). They were a gift from a neighbor who grew them, and recently used them in his recipe at a Chile Cook-Off, which he won. His technique used two of them, cut in thirds lengthwise. He scraped out placenta and seeds and cooked the pieces in the recipe, but removed them when cooking was finished. He said it was painfully hot, but delicious.

I'll be trying one in a batch of Sloppy Jose Mix this weekend.:devil:

Ideas for recipes gratefully accepted.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! I would love to die by those pepper in some chili.

My father in law grows habeneros, so this would be incredible to see how hot these are.

Do they have a good flavor to them like habeneros?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh recipes, some good pepper jelly. Nothing like sweet and hot!

prof

Enlightened
I love these! I've got some ground in the cabinet--use it to spike anything I want to be hot.

They've got a nice flavor also.

Warning: they are HOT. Tasty but hot.

donn_

Flashaholic
I love these! I've got some ground in the cabinet--use it to spike anything I want to be hot.

I think most of these are destined to be ground or flaked. I find it easier to control the heat using them as an additive in ground/flaked form.

I'm fairly new to hot peppers, and have just gotten to the point where I can take small amounts of Hab, so this will be a real step up.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Yeah, those are what I had feared, the dreaded Ghost Pepper. A friend of mine gave me a few bottles of Dave's Insanity sauces and they are all killer hot and I haven't even tried the Ghost Pepper one that comes in it's own custom coffin. I would say to roast em and puree them with some vinegar and sugar to make your own small batch custom sauce and you can look up Dave's Gourmet sauces to get an idea on other ingredients to add to the sauce. Basically, I almost always dilute these sauces with a little oil so they will disperse evenly in the food or dressing that I am cooking with and I have found that these types of peppers make for great "Dirty Rice" by either adding the sauce to the water or by sauteing the peppers in oil before adding the water or broth to rice dishes and or soups.

Good luck and protect ALL of your mucous membranes from accidental exposure by wearing gloves!:devil:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most of these are destined to be ground or flaked. I find it easier to control the heat using them as an additive in ground/flaked form.

I'm fairly new to hot peppers, and have just gotten to the point where I can take small amounts of Hab, so this will be a real step up.

Well if you want to unload some of those smoking peppers you send me one or two. :)

donn_

Flashaholic
ROFL!

Got milk.

Got Tucks.

Got Prep-H.

Got Ice Cream.

So far, in my brief hot pepper career, I haven't experienced the elimination burn problem, so my system must be able to deal with it. The worst side effect is bald-spot sweating. The best side effect has been the drug-like euphoria. It really gives me a long-lasting rush. It's also dropped my PSA well below its previous level. Two really good things!

I've watched all the YouTube Vids of the weirdos eating whole ones (including the Indian woman eating 60 of them), and can't imagine ever doing that. Of course, a few years ago, I couldn't take a small bite of a Jalapeno without going into serious hiccups. Now I munch on them like they were candy, and enjoy dipping them in freshly microplaned horseradish.