light for dad and grandad?

jamie.91

Enlightened
hey CPF

i know its early but i am looking for 2 lights, 1 for my dad and 1 for my grandad for christmas so i need you help!

and i am trying te bare in mind that they are non-flashaholics!:candle:

The ONLY requirement so far is that it must take AA cells so even they can replace the dead batts lol

there is also a good chance of them getting lost, broke or simply not used lol so i dont want to pay a lot!

also i noticed 4sevens has some engraving options ? can anyone elaborate on this or even better show me some pics of lights you got from 4sevens with engraving ?

let your imaginations do the rest :laughing:

thanks jamie:popcorn:

Gordo

Newly Enlightened
Go to BennieBessie's Budget Flashlight Roundup stickied to the LED Flashlight Forum.
Anything with 5 or 6 stars that meets your criteria/budget.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I believe Nitecore EZ AA is a very good light for non-technical people, it uses AA batteries and it has two levels, that are very easy to select: Screw the light together and you get low, tighten it more and you get high.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Romisen RC-N3 from Shiningbema could be a good choice. The EZ AA is a good choice if you want a small and simple light.

jamie.91

Enlightened
thanks for the replys

the RC-N3 is 2AA and i would prefer 1AA

and the EZAA is a bit over budget realy as i dont even know if they are going to use this light at all yet lol

thanks jamie

herulach

Enlightened
Depends what they;ll be using it for. I got my sister an RC-G2 and two eneloops with a USB charger, she's made up with it. That said, she usually uses it outside (geologist) where the spotty beam is handy.

If they want something more for EDC, then an EZAA/D10 is probably better, small enough that it will actually get carried. - if you get the D10 go for the SP version, much easier UI.

jamie.91

Enlightened
Depends what they;ll be using it for. I got my sister an RC-G2 and two eneloops with a USB charger, she's made up with it. That said, she usually uses it outside (geologist) where the spotty beam is handy.

If they want something more for EDC, then an EZAA/D10 is probably better, small enough that it will actually get carried. - if you get the D10 go for the SP version, much easier UI.

No offense but you dont know the people who i am giving these lights to lmao 1 mode will confuse them, no joke! especially my dad.

1AA battery and an on/off switch is about right for them

thanks jamie

Last edited:

Gordo

Newly Enlightened
the AA's that I own single mode:
Fenix L1P Good
Inova X1 eh, it's alright
Romisen G2, G2 II, A3 my most used
Tank007 E07 Osram just got it so not enough run time.

AAA's
Streamlight MicroStream --very surprised by the brightness. Higher than the E01.
Fenix E01 --ever present

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
umm my dad is almost 70 and he prefers the 2aa size. the 1aa and 1aaa are too small for him to use with ease. big clumsy paws.

quote: "if i need a flashlight i dont care what size it is as long as its big enough for me to use.." and "your tiny fiddlydodad lights are too hard to turn on and off"

he likes to use my romisen n3 and itp c8t. and then as small flashlight he uses the romisen g2 and an husqwarna led light that has screwing zoom function.. (im gonna give him the eagletac p100a2 as his bday present next month.. to get the romisen n3 back hhah..)

look at itp lights c7 and c8.. the tactical models. they are ramp up and ramp down lights too but with very easy and "manly" way of actuating them.. nothing too fancy like nitecore. just twist the head and it ramps up or down. and the price is lower than d10 too. shiningbeam offers cpf discount also.

also. do not dismiss led maglites that have sideclikys. they are more intuituive to use to most elderly people than rear clikybuttons.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Romisen RC N3 warm white, single mode, 2xAAs (or 1xCR123/RCR123 but that need never figure into the equation if it doesnt have to).

Nice warm tint though not as warm as an incand, still much warmer than the white light of LEDs.

i have some amateur beamshots if you're interested.

herulach

Enlightened
No offense but you dont know the people who i am giving these lights to lmao 1 mode will confuse them, no joke! especially my dad.

1AA battery and an on/off switch is about right for them

thanks jamie

Romisen RC P3 is a nice light, (provided you do some little mods, put a bit of heatsink goop in there. Gets (nearly) full brightness of 2AA alk AAs, and a lot slimmer than the N3. Crucially it has a side clicky, which tends to be a bit more familiar for new users (being used to mags)

jamie.91

Enlightened
thanks for all the replies:D

the Romisen RC P3 looks good but i wish it was a single AA and i have the RC-N3 and that also is too long in AA setup to fit in a pocket and feel as if it wasn't there

is there a single AA Romisen RC P3

thanks jamie

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
If you want a bigger, AA-based light that's easy to use, you might also want to consider the Fenix TK20. It's tough, durable, runs for 8-10 hours on low, and has a nice warm tint that's great for the outdoors. Fenix is a well respected brand here, and there are only two modes (high and low) with no complicated button-clicking interfaces. :twothumbs

Lately it sells for about $49, but it's also on sale as a combo with the Fenix E01 (a simple, twisty, AAA light) for $52.50 here.

Hey, this could cover both your presents! :crackup:

- FITP

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a 3D maglite as a gift approximately 6 years ago and gave it to my father because a light that big is kind of impractical for me. Also, this was before I got into flashlights, I didn't own one flashlight at all.

Well, he used that thing like crazy. About 4 years ago I got him the MagLED module for it. That's pretty much the only light he uses. Well, he got a 2AA incandescent from the dollar store that he uses for some stuff.

That Maglite is so beat up. He lost the switch cover once, I had to buy him a new one. It is probably the best gift I've ever given him.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Shining Beam has nice Romisens with AA or AAx2 -- I have an WW RC-N3 (2AA) and also a RC-H3 II, and they are both great lights (and easy on the budget, and easy to operate). You can also get an ITP A3 EOS upgraded in the same order (as long as you are ordering and paying the same shipping) -- and keep it for yourself! :naughty:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Romisen RC-H3 Q5 or RC-H3 II Q5 both seem to be great lights for your use. 1 AA, good quality for the price, and simple.

"cpfuser" as a discount coupon.