looking for a new EDC

jamie.91

Enlightened
hello CPF,

i am currently looking for a new EDC for these darker nights and bigger pockets.

I dont really like spending a lot on lights but feel like splashing out if i know its a good investment:twothumbs

I am looking at the EagleTac P10C but i am put off by the strobe and sos i like 2 modes or 3 at a pushul, cod someone explain the UI a little better please

also is this a light that you would recomend and if not what would you recomend?

is there another light that is similar that i should take a look at ?

i would like a surefire but the EagleTac is pushing my budget really so i doubt that lol

Thanks jamie:popcorn:

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I EDC the Maratac AAA and would highly recommend it if you are looking for a small (1xAAA) 3 level light with a bright high and a low low that can tailstand. The ITP A3 EOS (twin) if you want to carry it on a keychain. Both have stainless steel versions if you like that and ITP has a single mode version.

For a 1xAA, look at a Nitecore D10.

For a 1x123, I can recommend my Lumapower Incedio for the same reasons I recommend the Maratac AAA but in a bit brighter and larger package with longer runtimes.

I EDC many lights but the Maratac AAA is always in my pocket and the Incendio is always in my backpack along with a JetBeam CLE v2, Surefire G2L w/ R@ and a recently added nailbender SST-90 3-mode drop-in in a Solarforce L2 on 1x18650. My Tiablo A9 sometimes gets thrown in if I need a thrower.

"EDC" has such a personal definition. :whistle:

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Quarks, since today you get Turbos with XP-G R5, still neutral white available, you can lego them, AA, CR123A, one cell, two cells...

IMO the best values on the market by now! :wave:

EDIT : With a tactical, strobe and other flashing options will never get in your way...

JeffInChi

Enlightened
I am looking at the EagleTac P10C but i am put off by the strobe and sos i like 2 modes or 3 at a pushul, cod someone explain the UI a little better please

I'm not sure if you mean the EagleTac P100C2 or P10C2.

If you mean the P100C2, it has no strobe or sos function I'm aware of, just two modes a 220 lumen high and a 55 lumen low, activated by a twisty head. There is more info is on EagleTac's website.

Dual brightness levels
P100C2 offers quick-select dual brightness levels. Tighten the flashlight head clockwise for blinding high brightness mode and loosen it counterclockwise for low brightness mode with extended runtime. Selecting desired brightness mode is as convenient as one hand operation.

I like this light a lot. The only way this could be better for me is if it could tailstand. I like the simplicity it's design, I like the color and smoothness of the beam, I like the high and low settings, and I like the fact that it can take 123 lithium primaries or rcr123a's. The grips are perfect, it fits comfortably in the hand, and I think it makes a perfect light for the winter months (or summer). I bought this with the T10LC2 and I prefer the P100C2's look, size, beam, and color tint.

Not too familiar with the P10C2, but it looks about the same as the T10LC2 except it may me slightly smaller and have a little less throw.

Good luck.

jamie.91

Enlightened
thanks for the replies

i have an LD01ss so that takes up the 1AAA slot and i dont realy like the "feel" of the AA lights because the 123a light are that little bit thicker and that makes all the difference!

thanks jamie

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
I must say that the lumapower incendio was my very best edc. It has 3 really great levels of light in such a small package. The runtime is very good. Just be careful one day It stopped working. I sent it in for repair and it still doen't work. :sick:

snakyjake

Enlightened
I just got the Liteflux LF3XT. Awesome light, and a great and simple UI. I like it much better than Fenix, EagleTac, and Novatac.

jamie.91

Enlightened
hmm, how much would i have to up my budget to get a surefire ?

im a cheap skate and always go for cheap lights but i do want a good quality light at the moment for an EDC but preferable one i am not familiar with and one that is not a very popular one if you know what i mean lol ( I like to be different )

thanks jamie

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
something like surefire e1b backup.. hmm.. i think they were in range of 130 or so.

my vote goes to save money and buy something cheaper. its very unlikely you do need that kind /level of build quality reliability and warrantee surefire offers.

i think you could be fine with quality u get with something like 47s quark, fenix etc.. like most of us here are. (LEO and Military etc are bit different..)

or instead of surefire get one of the lights i want but havent been able to justify spending that much on one flashlight yet.. Ra lights. (programmable.. sturdy..)

my humble opinion is that: do not buy a flashlight that you cant afford to Use Loose Break Abuse and Replace (ulbar) with ease.

(easily: buy it again within a month, from "loose" change or "fun/hobby" funds, without really struggling or cutting costs in other areas.)

to me.. the limit is still at around 70 dollars.. the coming quark ti is above it and i do not know if i dare to carry and use it because it just is "irreplaceble".

currently my edc lights setup of this week total price is about 120$.. thats 3 lights. itp eos, quark aat, lmini2. big, medium and small last ditch light. i cant imagine carrying 2 surefires each worth 100-200$ + 3dr lil one. too much "money" to carry around.

i could manage with 2 lights. 3rd is just peace of mind. i actually only need one. but i do think one is none, two is one is good way of thinking.

**edit: also.. pretty much 95% of the lights we use talk and suggest in cpf are "rare" and "special" to most "normal" people.. so picking something like ra, novatac etc still wont make you a "sheep following the crowd" hahah. the sheep crowd is the cheap plastic 2d 3 dollar incan folk and most stock maglite users. not the cutting edge and beyond people of cpf.

Last edited:

madmook

Newly Enlightened
I jumped on a Nitecore D10 when 4sevens had a sale, so it was about $44. It is my main edc now because of its size and I love the piston thingy.

jamie.91

Enlightened
something like surefire e1b backup.. hmm.. i think they were in range of 130 or so.

my vote goes to save money and buy something cheaper. its very unlikely you do need that kind /level of build quality reliability and warrantee surefire offers.

i think you could be fine with quality u get with something like 47s quark, fenix etc.. like most of us here are. (LEO and Military etc are bit different..)

or instead of surefire get one of the lights i want but havent been able to justify spending that much on one flashlight yet.. Ra lights. (programmable.. sturdy..)

my humble opinion is that: do not buy a flashlight that you cant afford to Use Loose Break Abuse and Replace (ulbar) with ease.

(easily: buy it again within a month, from "loose" change or "fun/hobby" funds, without really struggling or cutting costs in other areas.)

to me.. the limit is still at around 70 dollars.. the coming quark ti is above it and i do not know if i dare to carry and use it because it just is "irreplaceble".

currently my edc lights setup of this week total price is about 120$.. thats 3 lights. itp eos, quark aat, lmini2. big, medium and small last ditch light. i cant imagine carrying 2 surefires each worth 100-200$ + 3dr lil one. too much "money" to carry around.

i could manage with 2 lights. 3rd is just peace of mind. i actually only need one. but i do think one is none, two is one is good way of thinking.

**edit: also.. pretty much 95% of the lights we use talk and suggest in cpf are "rare" and "special" to most "normal" people.. so picking something like ra, novatac etc still wont make you a "sheep following the crowd" hahah. the sheep crowd is the cheap plastic 2d 3 dollar incan folk and most stock maglite users. not the cutting edge and beyond people of cpf.

LMAO! youre advice is great and so true!

thanks jamie