Best budget thrower

giggity_giggity

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for the est dx or other low price thower. hopefully something that can get kinda close to the tiablo a10 or dbs. I can solder and I have a eagletac t100 for a reliable light. I'm looking for something that will out throw that eagletac by a decent amount. I don't care to much about size but hopefully under mag 3d size.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for the est dx or other low price thower. hopefully something that can get kinda close to the tiablo a10 or dbs. I can solder and I have a eagletac t100 for a reliable light. I'm looking for something that will out throw that eagletac by a decent amount. I don't care to much about size but hopefully under mag 3d size.

Sorry,

But nothing will come close to the Tiablo A10 for throw. KD had TLS heads with Q5 emitters and those were just as throwy, but no longer made.

Search Dx for 2.5in bezels with Q5's and you should have a good thrower, but as reliable and throwy as the A10 is not likely. The A10 actually made 240ish OTF with R2 emitter and IMHO no DX/KD/Ebay R2 light will make that much OTF.

bigC

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best thrower I've got off dx is my Ultrafire HS-802. It's got massive heatsinking and running it direct drive easily lets me push 1.6 amps through it's R2 led. It definitely outthrows my dx recoil light which is regarded as a very good thrower by others but is simply blown away by the HS-802 even in stock form when running 1 amp, at 1.6 it's definitely pushing out serious lumens and the tightest beam of all my flashlights.

To show how tight the beam is here's a shot of it compared to my c78, the recoil light has about a similar beam width at this distance too. The c78 is a very good throwing light but at 30 feet distance you can see the square beam is already nearly 3 feet wide whereas the HS-802 is only about a foot wide, maybe 18 inches if you count the corona of the beam but I don't since at longer distances the corona pretty much disappears and all that's left is a still very tight solid beam.

imgp5894.jpg

Also the HS-802 is significantly brighter, both of these are at full charge. The HS-802 has probably the tightest beam I've seen in a flashlight and that's including more expensive throwers that I've handled yes including the deree DBS, it's practically a perfectly parallel beam shooting out to forever, yes even the DBS diverges more albeit only a tiny smidgen more I'd say the difference is only about 6"-12" at 100 feet it's really hard to tell at those distances but there is a slightly perceptible difference. Though I do have to admit the DBS puts out more light with it's R2 module than the stock R2 of the HS-802 probably a more efficient driver, but mine with direct drive I know is pushing serious lumens. And you can easily see the beam in the air at night. Modding mine to direct drive also is pushing the led beyond it's recommended spec but I don't plan to run it continuously all the time even though even at 30 minutes runtime the flashlight is only slightly warm to the touch, and I know it's cooling the led because it never turns angry blue or shifts it's tint when running 1.6 amps.

I can't fault the construction either, smooth anodized threads on the two mode tailcap, very solid heatsinking, smooth beam profile for an smo reflector not too much ringiness and you don't even see it when in use outdoors.

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*

I recommend the Dorcy 220 lumen rechargeable LED flashlight which can be bought for $40 at Amazon.com. It would be in the same throwing range as the A10 and DBS you mention. The other options I can recommend that would be around the same in power as the Dorcy are the MagLED 3D Rebel around $30 from Lowe's or the Stanley 5W LED rechargeable spotlight $40 from Walmart.

There is a great review thread with a throw comparison between the A10, DBS, and the Dorcy 220 lumen: Link

Last edited:

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Like Qwerty mentioned, DX sells a recoil flashlight called the Ultrafire WF-008 that puts out a lot of throw but you won't get much any spill but if throw on a budget is what you want....

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
The best thrower I've got off dx is my Ultrafire HS-802. It's got massive heatsinking and running it direct drive easily lets me push 1.6 amps through it's R2 led. It definitely outthrows my dx recoil light which is regarded as a very good thrower by others but is simply blown away by the HS-802 even in stock form when running 1 amp, at 1.6 it's definitely pushing out serious lumens and the tightest beam of all my flashlights.

Where did U bought this ultrafire? I can not find this model anywhwere?

Did U try dbs or tiablo in aspherical mode?

If this is better thrower than TA9 I would probably buy it...

litemax

Newly Enlightened
Where did U bought this ultrafire? I can not find this model anywhwere?

Did U try dbs or tiablo in aspherical mode?

If this is better thrower than TA9 I would probably buy it...

It's a Uniquefire. He got lost in the sea of *fires. Should be SKU 16536.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

To show how tight the beam is here's a shot of it compared to my c78, the recoil light has about a similar beam width at this distance too. The c78 is a very good throwing light but at 30 feet distance you can see the square beam is already nearly 3 feet wide whereas the HS-802 is only about a foot wide, maybe 18 inches if you count the corona of the beam but I don't since at longer distances the corona pretty much disappears and all that's left is a still very tight solid beam.

imgp5894.jpg

Also the HS-802 is significantly brighter, both of these are at full charge. The HS-802 has probably the tightest beam I've seen in a flashlight and that's including more expensive throwers that I've handled yes including the deree DBS, it's practically a perfectly parallel beam shooting out to forever, yes even the DBS diverges more albeit only a tiny smidgen more I'd say the difference is only about 6"-12" at 100 feet it's really hard to tell at those distances but there is a slightly perceptible difference. Though I do have to admit the DBS puts out more light with it's R2 module than the stock R2 of the HS-802 probably a more efficient driver, but mine with direct drive I know is pushing serious lumens. And you can easily see the beam in the air at night. Modding mine to direct drive also is pushing the led beyond it's recommended spec but I don't plan to run it continuously all the time even though even at 30 minutes runtime the flashlight is only slightly warm to the touch, and I know it's cooling the led because it never turns angry blue or shifts it's tint when running 1.6 amps.

I can't fault the construction either, smooth anodized threads on the two mode tailcap, very solid heatsinking, smooth beam profile for an smo reflector not too much ringiness and you don't even see it when in use outdoors.

Hello,

Do you happened to know how your HS-802 would compare to a Tiablo A10 and Solarforce masterpiece in terms of throw? Also, does your HS-802 throw much better on direct drive compare to stock? Do you recommend this mod?

Thanks!

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Direct drive makes the light brighter, so automatically more throw. It wasn't til after this post that I later found out that direct driving these lights will push 2+ amps through the led which in general is bad for anything but custom built lights with led's soldered to a heatsink. I since put a new led and driver in it to keep a real 1.6 amps. The reason I got a lower number is your run of the mill multimeter has thin gauge wires. When I replaced them with heavy duty 14 gauge wire I got a more realistic current measurement.

As far as comparisons to the Tiablo, from the beamshots I've seen I'd have to say that the HS-802 holds a tighter beam and is less ringy, the Tiablo has a definite dark donut around the hotspot and diverges more than the HS-802 so my opinion is the HS-802 must throw further. As for the Masterpiece, MC-E lights generally will not be throwers because of their large die sizes. They would require huge reflectors to throw further, as such MC-E lights tend to be more floody with large and hot spots that are actually better at general lighting, throwers are actually less useful in real life.

Last edited:

lowes48

Newly Enlightened
I recommend the Dorcy 220 lumen rechargeable LED flashlight which can be bought for $40 at Amazon.com. It would be in the same throwing range as the A10 and DBS you mention.

There is a great review thread with a throw comparison between the A10, DBS, and the Dorcy 220 lumen: Link

+1 to BlueBeam's suggestion for the Dorcy. I was super-impressed with mine! It will really "get out there" and is built well for the $.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your recommendation. I just bought the Ultrafire HS-802 and the Solarforce Masterpiece. :)