jetbeam m1x versus lumapower MVP p7

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
I think I have narrowed my choices for a high power led to these two. (but still open to suggestions).

I understand that the Jetbeam is more of a thrower, and the Lumapower is "floodier," or has more spill (sorry if I use these terms incorrectly-- noobitis).

I sort of would be happy either way, as I think either flood or throw would be fun to play with, and that is the primary use this light will have for me: playing around in my yard at night.

Are there any other factors that those with some experience in this class of lights would point out?

Thanks.

PS: I originally was going for the titanium M20, but decided the bang for the buck was too good to pass up in these more powerful lights. I know they are a bit different (multi-emitters?), but not worried so much about that.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say get the Jetbeam.
If you're only going to get the light for "fun", I bet you will be disappointed with floody lights, as they are IMO with less of a WOW factor. If after you got the M1X and decided to want to see something more floody, just wrap a plastic bag in front of the lense and there you are, floody light. (Yes, I am making fun of dedicated floody lights =P) Plastic bag is the ultra cheap way, or you can also try fastcar diffuser material. But there's no going the other way around with floody lights unless you install an aspheric lense, but that'll be a lot more hassle, plus you lose the spill a well.

The choice is clear.

Last edited:

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
I think you may be right, there. I read one thread where a guy said the beam of his light reached the overhead cloud cover! I think that was an HID though, a whole 'nother level.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally only use my throwy style lights for 'demo' purposes to friends and collegues. My floody style lights are the ones that get real usage. I agree that when trying a floody beam light initially, you don't get the 'wow' factor - no real throw down range.

I can say though, that after the honeymoon period, the floody lights continue to have my attention. I tend to loose interest more quickly with my dedicated throwers.

My current 'flood style champion' is my MD2/MD3 with Malkoff M60W MC-E - just wonderful - 400 warm lumens of high powered goodness with a low mode of around 20 lumens for upclose use - my most used light!!!!

Good luck with your choice,

James....:)

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
My current 'flood style champion' is my MD2/MD3 with Malkoff M60W MC-E - just wonderful - 400 warm lumens of high powered goodness with a low mode of around 20 lumens for upclose use - my most used light!!!!

Good luck with your choice,

James....:)

Rub it in dont you, im dying for the M60W MC-E to come back in stock :mecry:

Anyways I have a Jetbeam M1X and it is amazing. If its fun your looking for then I would also get the M1X. The throw is absolutely stunning. If your looking for something in the middle you could always look at the Eagletac M2's or the Ace-G which has a very wide bright spill but still throws good.