Changes to SF Z41HA LOTC

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
FedEx just brought me a new SureFire C2 HA yesterday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
Upon inspection, I noticed that the Z41 LOTC now has
a "rivet" inside rather than the more familiar "hex" or
"allen" fastener.

This must be another "product improvement". I guess that it
will now be impossible to take the LOTC apart to replace
worn rubber boots, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Anyone know anything about the improvement? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I didn't realise it was possible to take it apart before - the hex fixing wasn't a threaded fixing last time I checked.

SureFire change things all the time. I don't know why they changed the fixing. Perhaps people were trying to take it apart?

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
can the rubber boot be replaced if needed or would i have to buy a new Z41? i just inspected my C2 and the boot on the tailcap is almost bald.

yclo

Flashaholic*
I'd have to disagree with you there Al, I have personally taken apart my E2e LOTC and put it back together. It works now the exact same way as when I got it.

Respectfully,

-YC

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
yclo, could you share how the LOTC was taken apart? would the procedure be the same for the Z41? thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*
The LOTC that I took apart had a hex nut in the middle, if you run a search you will likely find the correct hex key size required to remove it.

fbe03f1a.jpg

Bigger picture

If it is now attached with a rivet, it obviously means that SF doesn't want you taking it apart. Much like the clip on E2 bezels. Taking it apart without knowing what you're doing will most likely mean that you won't be able to put it back together.

If you look at the above picture, there is a black round retaining nut made of plastic which screws in and pushes the rubber boot against the tailcap. I am quite certain that if this is tight it will provide an adequate seal.

But, just like the E2e bezels, it won't be the same after you take it apart and put it together again. Since there is probably a sealant or glue of some sort that would be broken when dissassembling the part.

That being said, the M3 and M6 are the only other SF's I have which have LOTC's. I do not plan to take them apart nor have I tried, but I suspect that it will be of a similar design. There is a higher probability that the M series tailcap will have rubber boots glued to the tailcap to ensure maximum water resistance.

The point is if you take it apart and you know what you're doing, you will be able to put it back together in working order. Even if it means less water resistance.

-YC

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks yclo, that was very informative /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kev1-1

Enlightened
I didn't know that the tailcap contained so many parts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The screw is 3/32 and I thank whoever posted this information in the first place

Klaus

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the rubber boot is worn call SF CS they will replace it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
That is what I would suggest. I have a few bald SureFire switches myself!

Thanks for the info on the E Series TailCap. I've learnt something today again!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
alright i better send an email to surefire cs...the rubber boot on my c2 doesn't look like it'll hold up too long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts