Question for TK20 owners

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my TK20 and i now understand what all the raving about this light is about. This little baby (not as big as i expected) is comin with me to Bali for my holiday (with others of course) cos it uses AAs which would be real easy to find.

The warm tint is great as are the 2 modes (though i now know why some people say that the low isnt low enough, but i will have my E01 for that)

My question is this:-

When i tighten the head to high, it only takes a really really minute turn to switch to low. e.g. if high were 12 noon, i'd only need to turn the head to 12:02 to get it to switch to low, maybe even less.

Is this normal for the TK20?

thanks for taking the time to look at this.

lovecpf and my TK20 too.

longboat

Newly Enlightened
Yep, the TK20 is a great all-around light, very robust and great tint. The low really is too bright and is what I use 95% of the time. The light really needs a third mode of 10 lumens to make it perfect, but then the quick 'n' easy UI would likely be compromised.

Like yours, my TK20 changes to low with just a few degrees of turning. However, it hasn't been a problem in actual use - makes it easier to ensure you are on LOW prior to turning on the light...

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
Yep, mine is the same. Very small amount of turning needed to change modes. I also use mine on low most of the time as it is bright enough for most tasks.

Tom

HKJ

Flashaholic
When i tighten the head to high, it only takes a really really minute turn to switch to low. e.g. if high were 12 noon, i'd only need to turn the head to 12:02 to get it to switch to low, maybe even less.

Is this normal for the TK20?

This is normal for all lights using this kind of switch. The top of the battery tube is making electric contact to a plate in the head, you only need a fraction of a mm to break the contact, i.e. you only need a fraction of a turn.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks a lot guys, wasnt actually expecting answers so quickly till i remembered that its 2 a.m here but CPF is a 24 hr site :D

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yu can even use a momentary high if you set the head just below the point where it switches ti high. If you then pull gently on the head, it switches until you let it go.

The TK20 is really great, but kind of a thrower. Today, we searched for a Micro in some dark leaves on a wall. I had a modded Mini-Mag with a optic that delivers a quite floody beam, my wife had the TK20. nope, it's not build for that purpose with its tight hotspot. The green of the leaves was rendered nicely however! :p

BRO

Newly Enlightened
Purchase a package of lithium's and you will see the TK-20 shine even brighter. Very good, solid light to have.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Purchase a package of lithium's and you will see the TK-20 shine even brighter. Very good, solid light to have.

hmmm, will have to try that but lithiums are pretty expensive here in Singapore.

Was thinking that when i go for my 5 night holiday that i'd just purchase an offer pack of 8 coppertop duracells and be all set, that would also feed my Akoray K106, am trying to resist bringing too many lights (probably gonna fail though)

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine´s the same!

Just a few degrees to change modes!

It´s an awesome light! I love mine! :party:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone have a problem with the clip? the supplied hex wrench doesnt seem to tighten it all the way down, either that or the hex screws are lousy and the wrench is stripping the insides.

i would like the clip to be as secure as possible. My EX10's clip is fantastic, no fears of it loosening at all.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
anyone have a problem with the clip? the supplied hex wrench doesnt seem to tighten it all the way down, either that or the hex screws are lousy and the wrench is stripping the insides.

i would like the clip to be as secure as possible. My EX10's clip is fantastic, no fears of it loosening at all.

No problem with my clip but never use it and don't know why I put the darn thing on in the first place. Maybe you over tightened it. But as stated the clip just does not seem to have a place on the TK20.

Marduke.

Good call on that battery issue with my TK20. Still no problem with the 2000 mAh Duraloops. The 2650s were full of fail.:(

On a side note has anyone had the TK clicky fail? I am thinking of buying a backup for mine as it is cheap and in the future would hate to have it fail and no longer be sold.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
On a side note has anyone had the TK clicky fail? I am thinking of buying a backup for mine as it is cheap and in the future would hate to have it fail and no longer be sold.
One of mine, though not fail, the clicking wasn't smooth, so I return and instantly got a replacement. :twothumbs
OTOH, i think the forward clicky switch used in TK/TA series are interchangeable (except TK40).

Last edited: