Clever way to carry small flashlight?

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
I'm a computer guy and I spend a lot of time crawling under people's desks and connecting things in dark closets. I always carry a AAA light with me for those reasons and because I just like to be prepared.

I'm also a gear minimalist, and like to travel as light as possible (no pun intended there ;)). For some time now I've been using one of these little lobster claw clips from Lighthound to carry my light from the top of my pocket because it makes the light undetectable, both to me and to anyone else because there are no "bottom of the pocket bulges".

But sometimes when I'm trying to pull out my light the little hinged clip gets caught on the inside hem of my pocket and wont let go. It's annoying, to say the least.

The other night my mother-in-law and I were walking into a dark parking area and I went to pull out my light and it got stuck. It got so jammed in there that I could not quickly unhook it and eventually just had to yank it and hope not to tear my pants.

The clip became un-sprung and I'll have to replace it, but I wanted to check with you you clever folks first to see if you have a better recommendations.

Do you have any clever ways to carry your small lights for EDC that still allows them to be quickly accessed? Or is the clip I was using the best bet?

Thanks very much for any and all replies!
-Guyzero

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Surefire neck lanyard and an ITP-A3 or fenix E0. I tuck/hide it under my shirt.

dscn5773.jpg

The ITP-A3 is small enough to clip on my shirt collar and I forget its even there. I do the same with my H501, but its much heavier and easily makes its presence known.
dscn5824.jpg

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well since most of us in the IT field carry a cell phone, this is what I do.
devicememoryhomeuserpica.jpg

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
I have not, mostly because all the AAA lights have come with cheap clips that I didn't trust.

I did just order the Preon kit though. I'm interested to see how that might sit...
:naughty:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clips provided for penlights can be used on shorter lights of similar diameter for top of pocket carry. Works very well with bluejeans or other stiff fabrics, and with lightweight fabrics as well provided that either the light itself is not too heavy or that the light is positioned next to a phone or something that will keep it from flopping around. I have carried this 10440 Brass Eiger in my shirt pocket next to a Blackberry.

IMG0009.jpg

loszabo

Enlightened
I prefer a small light in my right cargo pocket of my cargo pants or I carry it in a leather sheath on my belt.

Right now I carry a SureFire LX2 (quite big) on a lanyard around my neck.

Clipping it on the t-shirt is very nice, but I prefer that place for a pen.

Vesper

Enlightened
Best fit for me is just a clip-on in my front pocket, a few inches from my Kershaw knife. Neither interfere with anything and access to them is quick.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
My preference is to tie a loop of somewhat stiff cord to the light, with something on the other end -- call it a 'doohickey'. I drilled a hole in a toothpaste tube cap, and that works well. The light sits in my pocket and the cord is just long enough to flop out of my pocket a little, where the doohickey hooks over the edge a bit. If it falls into the pocket (or I have to put it there because a cat is grabbing it) it's still pretty easy to grab the doohicky, the cord, or the light -- whatever my fingers reach first. One could also make the doohickey as a clip or hook shape (a doohookey?) that would stay more securely on the edge of the pocket.

The cord also helps me know which end of the light I'm holding and is pointing back towards me in the dark, and to turn it around. I can also loop the cord over a finger so I don't drop the light.

Maybe it sounds too simple for it work as well as it does -- but it does work well. You can also plait a nice lanyard with a Turk's head on the end (like they used to do on the old sailing ships to hold their flashlights ... check out http://knotical-arts.com/turkshead.html & http://doit101.com/Knots/fancy.htm for example).

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not, mostly because all the AAA lights have come with cheap clips that I didn't trust.

I did just order the Preon kit though. I'm interested to see how that might sit...
:naughty:
I would suggest trying out a Streamlight Microstream. It retails for $15, has a nice clip and is pretty darn bright. It stands up to some other 40-60 lumen lights.

TDL

Newly Enlightened
I will cooperate with my two cents advise. I also agree with the comment regarding the Streamlight Microstream. It is very light, it is a clicky, has a strong clip and gives plenty of light to look around computers. Works perfect as it does not give too much or too litle light. I know from personal experience. I carry mine riding on top of one of elastic pouches of the sheath for the letterman Charge tti (sheath costs around US$10.00 in Amazon), that I carry horizontally on my belt. Very,very fast to have in hand when needed, but it takes some time to put the microstream back in the pouch as same is elastic. In the other elastic pouch (the sheath has two), I carry a LD01 SS, should a need more light. Now, I have walked with same for months and have had no problems falling out or else..and I usually forget I have them there ...until I need them. Hope it helps. lovecpf

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally hate carrying a flashlight inside a pocket because change and keys usually damage the finish. I carry a quark AA in it's holster and can't even feel it's there. It's so discrete, people are usually stunned that I even carry a flashlight when I whip it out... in your case a holster might not always be comfortable when you crawl on the floor unless you take the light out before you lie down! That's why I carry it on the side I'm less likely to lie down on...

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all your replies! It's interesting to me how many different clever ways there are to solve any given problem.

I'm also interested at how different people define the term "small flashlight" differently... Wow! (Note to self: I should probably use care in these forums should I ever need to use the term "a few flashlights"...)

@String: I prefer flashlights that are designed with keyring carry in mind, but I don't prefer to put my EDC on my keys. I often find myself in tight spaces where I want both hands free so I hold my flashlight in my mouth (we all do this from time to time here, right?). Adding my keys to the mix would make quite a mouth full..

@Ninjaboigt: That is hilarious! Was that a real ad for the Solitare? I love it!

@Bluepilgrim: Putting a "doohicky" on a short lanyard and using it to keep your flashlight at the top of your pocket is a very clever idea! I'll have to play with that one a bit. I'm envisioning a cool bead or something... How often does it fall into your pocket?

@Divine: The SL Microstream looks like a fine light, but since I just ordered a 4Sevens Preon I think I give it's clip a go first.

@Cataract: Because I have been hanging my light from the top of my pocket with a small clip, it stays up and away from my keys (which sit in the bottom of my pocket). I don't have any issues with the finish becoming damaged. (Although, as a trade off, sometimes I have not been able to get my light unclipped, thus the birth of this thread. *sigh*)

I've ordered a few different type of clip from Lighthound and intend to give it a try. I'll post back here with my opinions once I've received it and tried it out for a few days.

In the mean time, please continue to add any more clever solutions you all might have!

Thanks!
Guyzero

Latest posts