4Sevens Preon vs. Fenix LD05 >> New 2xAAA Lights <<

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody had to start this thread! :tinfoil:

I just love the fact there are two new 2xAAA lights on the market, I've been waiting a long time! :grin2:

Are there any "pros" to the Fenix? Maybe an extra 0.2V input voltage rating? :popcorn:

I'm waiting for the ADAYTOOLATE40 Coupon code before I get the LD05. :nana:

magic-wand.png

Last edited:

madmook

Newly Enlightened
I chose the Preon kit for these reasons:

1) Based on specs, the Preon 2xAAA clicky configuration, same as the LD05, is shorter.

2) For the same price, the Preon kit lets me configure as I wish, between the 1/2-cell battery tube and clicky/twisty UI.

3) The Preon 2xAAA has a much higher max brightness, albeit at the expense of some runtime.

A pro for the Fenix LD05 would've been the slightly higher medium mode (32 lumens vs. 22 on the Preon II), but then I don't know whether Fenix uses OTF lumens in their specs.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a very tough call, but I think 47 Preon stole a lot of spotlight from LD05.

Actually, I was close to ordering the LD05 yesterday and when I found out about the Preon, I jump ship and order that instead. They're the same price (aluminum kit and ti/aluminum combo at least), Preon uses the XP-G emitter and they have titanium. Honestly, if they weren't released on the same day, I would have probably ended getting both.

Edit:

The pro (FOR ME) is that Fenix start on Med. I know most people favors starting from low, but I actually don't mind Fenixes' med-low-high sequence since I mostly use the medium mode anyway.

jumpin jack flash

Newly Enlightened
I'm not excited about either one. The 2xAAA versions look sort of like laser pointers to me, and the 1xAAA is not as small as I hoped for. I was looking for a very small 1xAAA for pants pocket EDC, with good knurling and a reversible clip for cap use, as well as an advanced UI and a clicky. Oh well, to each his own. I'm sure 4 Sevens and Fenix did research on most desirable qualities to come up with what they did.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I guess. For me the only possible need/want would be for my packs that has 3xAAA headlamps and radios running off AAA. This way I could keep all the batteries the same. But for EDC most 1XAAA lights offer more output than I need and 1XCR123 more so. Wonder why Fenix didn't upgrade the LD01 at the same time?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking the aluminum 2AAA Preon would be a nice bicycle helmet light. Very light, narrow enough to rest between the cooling vents on the helmet and 160 lumens OTF of a floody beam. I'll wait for the reviews but it is between a 1AA Quark R5 and the Preon 2AA R5 for my wife.

For me? My helmet is waiting for the 2AA Turbo headed thing...

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to be more interested to see how the preon I compares to the illuminaTI

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure as to the point of a 2XAAA light. The only reason why I like 1xAAA is smaller size.
Yeah, i have that in mind as well.

The advantage is primarily being thinner, but at the expense of being longer, so if you find thin long things easier to carry, get 2xAAA light if you find short fat things easier to carry, get 1xCR123 or 1xCR2 lights.

So professionals like electricians might fancy it, but as of now, I have yet to convince myself to get a 2xAAA light.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see doctors liking the 2AAA titanium Preon

It comes on at default 0.8 lumens to check the eyes and they can click it to higher outputs for throat (etc) Throw it in some 10% bleach to decontaminate and press on.

It makes sense to really HIDE the strobe function then, donchathink?

A nice light to have to put in that inside pocket on a suit also, or were ever you put pens. On military uniforms there are pen holders sewn into the shirt sleeve cuffs so that light would be a natural to EDC there. The hard part is wrapping the cranium around the idea of a penlight blasting 160 lumens out the front!

Might make a nice bicycle helmet light also...fit right inside those narrow vents and such.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nice light to have to put in that inside pocket on a suit also, or were ever you put pens. On military uniforms there are pen holders sewn into the shirt sleeve cuffs so that light would be a natural to EDC there. The hard part is wrapping the cranium around the idea of a penlight blasting 160 lumens out the front!

Might make a nice bicycle helmet light also...fit right inside those narrow vents and such.
If i didn't know, I'd be thinking you're advertising for Fenix and 4sevens:laughing:

Rexlion

Enlightened
I can't help wondering how hot that 2AAA Preon will get on high. Efficient or not, that's a ton of lumens for such a small package.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
The advantage of a 2xAAA light is that it can often be put anywhere a pen can be put- it's not too heavy or thick to clip on a pocket, for example, and it gives you longer runtimes (and sometimes more lumens) than a 1xAAA light.

A nice example is the Sunlite Slim2 2xAAA penlight. Just took delivery of one this week- very slender and only 4.5 in. long. Very high quality light, and puts out 40+ lumens out the front. I will look into the Preon and LD05, also. :twothumbs

kts

Enlightened
Has Fenix always directly copied other manufacturers or is this a first for them?

brad

Why is this a copy, they dont even look alike or use same emitter?

Fenix is the one getting copied...

Why do the quarks and others use the same UI as Fenix have been using for years???..

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps this is a conflict of interest arising between Fenix and 4Sevens, time will tell.

I do recall seeing prototypes of the Preon mistakenly (?) photographed when showing the new titanium Quarks.

Did one manufacturer see the other's product along the way and allow it to influence their design? Maybe. That doesn't mean any rules were broken.

I would think one manufacturer would INTENTIONALLY make their product look different than the other's if possible, to avoid looking like a copy cat.

However, if the price of a Preon was determined considering knowledge of the Fenix pricing, I can see how that would lead to a strain on the relationship between what was Fenix Store and Fenix Light.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Not sure as to the point of a 2XAAA light. The only reason why I like 1xAAA is smaller size.
I actually find a 1xAAA very difficult to handle/use (especially operating it one-handed), but my 2xAAA LD01/SL SP rides in my shirt pocket constantly, a great penlight that I use every day. I think that the two different versions complement each other and don't really compete. My two lumens, :shrug: