Solarforce L2i & L2r Driving Impressions Ø HEAVY GRAPHICS Ø

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
The following Driving Impression is based on a single Solarforce L2i and a single Solarforce L2r provided, gratis, by International Trading Company, hereafter abbreviated as "ITC".
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/INTERNATIONAL-TRADING-COMPANY__W0QQ_armrsZ1

[EDITORIAL NOTE: Footnotes will follow the format "FNxx:" where "xx" is the Footnote number, with the footnotes being listed at the bottom of Post #1]

This is my first Driving Impression on CPF, and is the direct result of having purchased a "Solarforce Masterpiece 1000 Lms MCE Cree Led Flashlight" on Tuesday September 22, 2009 from ITC and the ensuing details, posted elsewhere on CPF, regarding a 110 VAC Solarforce Li-Ion charger included with the purchase price, for the two included Solarforce Li-Ion Protected Rechargeable 3.7V 18650 2400mAh batteries. The package included the flashlight, charger, batteries, and shipping via First Class Air Mail from Hong Kong for $119.00 United States Dollars. I received the package, albeit with the incorrect charger FN01,
on Monday 09/28/2009.

MANUFACTURER SPECIFICATIONS:
The Solarforce L2i R2 Cree Led AAAx3 Flashlight, available from ITC for $23.99 USD FN02: as of October 23, 2009 is specified as follows by the manufacturer:
Brand: Solarforce
Model: L2i Innovator BLACK
Emitter Brand/Type: R2 Cree Led
Emitter BIN: R2 Cree
Total Emitters: 1
Battery Configurations: 3 pc AAA 1.5v batteries (not included)
Voltage Input: 0.8V-4.2V
Switch Type: Clicky
Switch Location: Tailcap (Tail-cap)
Modes: __ (see note below*)
Weight: 104 grams (without battery)
Lens: Coated Glass Lens
Reflector: Aluminum orange peel textured reflector
Material: Aluminum alloy construction
Length x diameter in (mm): 130mmx25mmx20mm

* The manufacturer graphic indicates one mode. Functionally, there are three brightness levels; 100%, 40%, and 10%. Once the flashlight is turned on, a light press of the tailcap switches down through the modes. Memory is present, with the flashlight returning to the same level after being switched off then back on.
FN03:

I have intentionally omitted Lumens Rating and Runtime, as I haven't the hardware/software to measure OTF lumens to a common standard, and the batteries on hand with which the light(s) were powered were of the "junk drawer" variety.

The Solarforce L2r Revolution R2 Cree AAx2 Flashlight, available from ITC for $23.74 USD FN04: as of October 23, 2009 is specified as follows by the manufacturer:
Brand: Solarforce
Model: L2r Revolution
Emitter Brand/Type: R2 Cree Led
Emitter BIN: R2 Cree Led
Total Emitters: 1
Battery Configurations: 2 pc AA 1.5v batteries (not included)
Voltage Input: 0.8V-4.2V
Switch Type: Clicky
Switch Location: Tailcap (Tail-cap)
Modes: __ (see note above*)
Weight: 104 grams (without battery)
Lens: Coated Glass Lens
Reflector: Aluminum orange peel textured reflector
Material: Aluminum alloy construction
Length x diameter in (mm): 170x 32 x 25

DRIVER'S 'ROAD' SHOTS:
FN05:
First of all the front and rear of the packaging (only L2i shown)
whsiisl2ipackagefront00.jpg
whsiisl2ipackageback001.jpg

It should be noted before opening the package, that the battery orientation is non intuitive and there are NO HARD COPY INSTRUCTIONS warning thereof. The only alert is the location of the negative spring tabs and small decals on the battery magazine itself. The suggestion of a label, with "Post-It Note" adhesive strength, around the battery magazine has been passed to the folks in Hong Kong. CPFers would not make this mistake, but the suggested recpients (see "Christmas Gift" below) likely WOULD insert the batteries incorrectly. Something similar to the labels covering AC input plugs regarding 110VAC vs. 220VAC on computer power supplies would be ideal.

Read Polarity on battery magazine CAREFULLY!
Two go in with the positive toward the FRONT (top) of the magazine, one goes in with positive toward the REAR (bottom) of the magazine.
whsiisl2ibatterymagazin.jpg
whsiisl2ibatterymagazinx.jpg

External Shots of the L2r and L2i.
whsiisls2vertical001.jpg
whsiisl2horizontal002.jpg
(Lousy photo)

Very classy, and functional advertising, engraving on the tailcap!
whsiisl2tailcapurl000.jpg

The constituent pieces of the L2i. The L2i and L2r share the same head and drop-in which is Surefire 6P & 9P compatible so in some instances, only one of the flashlights is displayed.
whsiisl2icontiuentpiece.jpg

The constituent pieces of the L2i, along with an AAA rechargeable NiMH and an UNprotected 18650 2400mAh some bonehead ordered :whistle:.
whsiisl2iconstituentswb.jpg

The gray ring around the 18650 is the gasket that goes between the crenelated bezel and the lens.

Vertical Frame of Reference Items:
Left to Right; Surefire SF123A 3v Primary, Sakar AAA 1.25v 1000mAh NiMH Rechargeable, Duracell Alkaline AA 1.5v Primary, Solarforce Li-Ion UNprotected 18650 2400mAh Rechargeable, Crayola (Ferrari Red), Solarforce L2i, English/Metric Measure, Solarforce L2r, Surefire C3 Centurion w/ FM37 beamcover, Insight H2x Typhoon w/ Cabela's cover, Solarforce Masterpiece.
whsiisl2verticalframeof.jpg

Horizontal Frame of Reference Items:
Left to Right; Surefire SF123A 3v Primary, Sakar AAA 1.25v 1000mAh NiMH Rechargeable, Duracell Alkaline AA 1.5v Primary, Solarforce Li-Ion UNprotected 18650 2400mAh Rechargeable, Crayola (Ferrari Red), Solarforce L2i, English/Metric Measure, Solarforce L2r, Surefire C3 Centurion w/ FM37 beamcover, Insight H2x Typhoon w/ Cabela's cover, Solarforce Masterpiece.

whsiisl2horizontalframe.jpg

L2 Drop-In. The Reflector is actually at least TWICE AS DEEP as theses photos make it appear. In the Driving Impression below I document, although w/o photos, the general "throwiness" of these heads.
whsiisl2dropina.jpg
whsiisl2dropinb.jpg
whsiisl2dropinc.jpg
whsiisl2dropind.jpg

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS:
Battery Installation:
As noted above, the first prominent issue involved the inconsistent orientation of the batteries in the L2i.
Two go in with the positive toward the FRONT (top) of the magazine, one goes in with positive toward the REAR (bottom) of the magazine. The empty battery magazine is displayed above, a magazine with the batteries correctly installed appears below.

View from One Up and One Down … … … … … … … … … … … View from Two Up
whsiisl2i2up1down.jpg
whsiisl2i2up.jpg

Once that preliminary observation was made, I was prepared to find fault with the idea of a flashlight using three AAA batteries. Coming to the world of Flashaholism with the preconceived notion that illumination tools were secondary support devices for far more interesting and powerful tools, I had been spoiled by Ken Good's original Gladius with which I had been acquainted well prior to its actual production. Since that time we've been home to two Gladii of the original configuration, and the second generation Gladius marketed under the Insight brand. The latter was chosen, rather than the Night Ops brand
FN06:, as much to see what impact the business sheananigans had had, if any, on our beloved, truly every day carry Gladii.

A GREAT HOLIDAY GIFT for NONFlashaholics:
So I was all prepared to conclude that the L2i was the answer to a question no one had asked. That was until I actually started to use it. I'm going to get right to the bottom line, even bypassing the utility of the L2i for use by CPFers, by saying that at twenty four bucks shipped ($23.99 USD) the L2i makes a great Holiday Gift for NON-Flashlight Enthusiasts! Here's why. Guys, if you live with a woman, go look in her purse :sweat:. Yes, I know, it may be the last living act you ever initiate, but this is important Men. It's about FLASHLIGHTS. I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the concept well known to North American men of "My Gosh! She's got more stuff in her purse than I take when I'm camping for two weeks. Heck, there's more in there than when I take a business trip for two weeks including suits, casual business wear, and casual casual wear."

Where will a Surefire Titan end up in your Mom's purse Sir Craigory? Unless you've subjected her to averse behavioural conditioning, a small light is going to disappear to the bottom of her purse, only to be discovered by archaeologists that look like the aliens that landed at Roswell! The L2i is nicely noticeable and sized such that it will be less likely to get misplaced with lipstick, mascara, and such 'essentials', but not so bulky as to annoy her and be banned from her EDDA
FN07:.

To modify a phrase common to some of you "Any flashlight in hand is better than one left at home." And with 22½ years of marital bliss, plus some investigatory courting prior to that, I'd say it's a safe bet that the L2i is a flashlight that 1)Will be carried regularly by a woman, 2)Resupplied with new batteries upon expiration (of the batteries), and 3)most importantly will be used regularly!

If men are on your gift giving list, the L2i is NOT a light that to my way of thinking can unobtrusively be carried in jeans, slacks or shirt pockets. The dimensions that make it great for the ladies, restrict it's portability somewhat for men. BUT the pockets in a Sport Coat, possibly a suit depending on whether you wear a generous North American cut or a closer fitting European style, and definitely it would fit nicely in sweatshirt (Hoodies) pockets, outerwear jackets, and dress coats.

The L2r, by contrast, ergonomically speaking might be more or less appropriate to the recipient's, or your, style of dress and carry but since they both use the same head and drop-in, which is Surefire 6P and 9P compatible, the benefits of this rather "throwy" light are available in either configuration given your preferences, batteries already owned, etc.

NOT a Gladius pattern, but Not Priced like a Gladius either:
The light pattern is characterized by a 'hot spot' with dark artifacts around its periphery, but the cognoscenti can chime in to enlighten me as to whether that is an attribute of the specific LED rather than a weakness specific to the Solarforce implementation of this particular LED. If you are looking for a flawless "White Wall" beam, you are not going to find it and in fact some non-flashaholics may notice it as well, provided they are using it to locate tiny cracks in their drywall from a meter or so away. I'm guessing most non-flashaholics will NOT send your gift back with a nasty note complaining what a cheap skate you are, and concluding with "Buy me Surefire or just don't bother!" Again, these are VERY AFFORDABLE flashlights in their stock configuration from ITC and still VERY REASONABLY priced if customer configured and purchased from Jason
FN08: If there are other options of the "plain and simple" variety in the $25 to $35 range, please mention these in your response posts. Again, this is not an arena to which I've paid much attention.

Nice Throw:
While the white wall pattern at one meter {will post those photos of dubious benefit in Post #2 below} is a weak point, I consider the throw and concentration of the hot spot to be quite advantageous while envisioning a woman walking out to her car at night with keys and pepper spray in one hand, and an L2i or L2r in the other. I've nothing in this price/purpose range with which to compare, so although clearly more expensive, I've pressed my Fenix P3D Premium Q5 w/ 'Fenix Store Special' 3 x CR123A optional body into service for this Driving Impression. Against the living room white wall at thirty three feet (ten meters), the hot spot of the L2i and L2r retain what I consider a nice, tight, thirty two inch (0.8 meter) hot spot. At that distance the P3D Q5 has lost its distinction between hot spot and spill, and the light pattern encompassed by where the hot spot is projecting is easily six feet in diameter.

Crenelated Bezel Could be the Purse Banisher:
While I personally like crenelations on flashlights, flash suppressors, suppressors {incorrectly called 'silencers' in Hollyweird movies}, sinus spray bottles, etc. the crenelated bezel is likely to be a hit with the male recipients of your Holiday Gift Giving, but could very well cause the ladies to leave it on the dresser or in a drawer. Bezel down in her purse and we'll be accountable for cuts to the purse itself, miniature tubes of toothpaste sliced open {Don't ask :shakehead} , and all manner of unintended consequences. Here is where Jason and his custom configurations could come into play, either as a whole light, or as a supplier of various 'Lego-tia' with the sincere purpose of customizing your gift for the intended recipient. Of course you could inadvertently order some parts which could be applied to your own 'Legotia' but that's a matter between you and your credit card company :sssh: .

Assorted Observations:
Pro; The anti-roll bezel does in fact keep the flashlight from rolling on a flat surface and is greatly appreciated! I have a PentagonLight S2 19-LED RED 635nm diffuse low signature light. It is one of the most frequently used flashlights in our house, used by both my wife and I when one of us gets up at night for bodily maintenance issues of uploading or download provisions, letting the dogs out if we fed them too late, or in my case acquiring "tools" to explore a "bump in the night." It is one the most well conceived flashlights I own, with one exception. The anti-roll feature is on the tailcap and the head is greater in diameter than the tailcap. Thus, when placed on a flat surface, the flattened off planes of the anti-roll tailcap never fully contact the surface across the width of any one of their flat planes. Translated, this means the flashlight will not roll as long as you carefully, precisely, place on the surface, then gingerly remove your grip :crazy:. Not exactly the sort of attribute one wants when 1)it is your sequentially first "go to tool" in the black of night, 2)stealth is one of your primary operational goals/parameters, and 3)you may be accessing it while still technically asleep as regards the true brain wave patterns that obtain at the moment. An anti-roll bezel that does just that is indeed a good thing.

Con; The knurling on the L2i and L2r is so fine that it feels like plastic. Until I disassembled the first unit to examine the interior of the body I expected to find a plastic body, with a separate means of electrically connecting the head and tailcap. This extremely fine knurling makes the flashlights feel cheap in hand, and is not helpful if your hands are remotely sweaty or have a natural level of skin oil, not to mention being wet.

Pro; That same fine knurling will not damage other items in Milady's suitcase, erh... I mean "purse."

YMMV;
FN09: I've noticed, in passing, that some CPF forum members have welcomed the news of the AA Solarforce L2r as they already have a stock of Eneloops with which to feed the L2r. If AA, or AAA for that matter, configuration is a "Plus" for you, whether primaries or rechargeables are "your thing" I can honestly say you've not likely to go wrong with either the L2i or L2r at these prices! I even need to keep reminding myself that these are very INexpensive illumination devices, but from my limited exposure are certainly NOT subject to the pejorative "cheap."

YMMV #2 An interesting exercise for a primarily defensive and offensive tool user: As one who is not, or didn't expect to be, in the target demographic/market for these flashlights, I have found this to be a surprisingly enjoyable chronicling of my Driving Impressions. As I noted in the post linked by Footnote #1, the reviews, tests, questions, and opinions I find most enjoyable here on CPF, as well as Firearms and Tactical Forums, are the ones where the poster makes explicit their intended use, as well as the constraints upon their use, and the options open to them. Trolling for confrontation, polling how many other people think [Insert Loathed Feature Here] are useless, signs of cognitive dysfunction on the part of those who value those features, and are a deeply personal affront to your dignity and autonomy as a human being are frankly boring. After all, we presumably come here for recreation, enjoyment, and to learn neat new stuff from folks who are already experienced in a field that is new, novel, and where the simplest concepts (to others) are revelatory to us as Newbies.

Approaching something, a flashlight for instance, from a perspective other than our own can be interesting in itself but it can also enrich our own toolkit as it applies to our specific intended needs (O.K. "wants") The L2i with its short and stocky dimensions has my brain abuzz pondering whether a tightly packed "little" 3x18650 light with the Li-Ions physically parallel would fit in with my preference for "I can make room for the extra power, runtime, barrel length, rounds, etc." At 6'1" 185lbs. I carry concealed tools that much larger men (bigger and stronger) assert are "too big" to successfully carry on a day to day basis. It's all about what you want, and what concessions you are willing to make to get there.

And that's why I continue to be impressed with the members here at CPF! For a worldwide forum where people can be as anonymous or as revealing as they choose, this little gathering spot has an exemplary signal/noise ratio, a courteous and civil interchange of ideas, and a genuinely welcoming group of hopeless addicts :crackup: . For the most part, the experienced people really seem to enjoy helping us newbies sort through the mountains of technicalities. And isn't that the point of any hobby? To have fun, and share that fun with others? lovecpf

Footnotes:
FN01:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/243843
FN02: http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-L2i-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4149d0ce22
FN03: My Solarforce Masterpiece, and I find this extremely irritating, has what I personally consider a bizzare User Interface, that in my opinion offers NO benefits and considerable detriments. The tail cap, when fully depressed, turns the light on and off, BUT the brightness CAN NOT BE CHANGED WITH THE LIGHT TURNED ON! To change brightness levels, the light has to be turned off, then a light (low pressure) press to the tailcap, and this must be within a period of a "few" seconds, changes the brightness levels. Thus I have to turn off the light, change levels, and then turn the light back on. The low pressure tailcap press can not even be used as a momentary activation (as would be useful for defensive purposes) for unless the "press-es" are separated by a "few" seconds, the light drops down level by level, hardly the wall of light requisite for a "Flash, Move, Fire" maneuver! Other Masterpiece owners: Is this characteristic of the function of your Masterpiece, or is mine defective? As noted in the Footnote #1, I use my Masterpiece for walking our German Shepherd Dogs, and always use the 100% percent mode so it is not a source of recurrent irritation, although it does irritate me, but if my usage were not characterized by single brightness level it would most definitely be a deal breaker. Per my usage pattern, I LOVE My Masterpiece :D as it is quite the 'manageably' sized 'Hand Cannon' to use as an adjunct to verbal commands {in German so as not to intermix commands with conversation} for the GSDs, to alert other people (Human, Canid, Bunnies, etc.) in the neighborhood to our approach, and preclude overtaking a cat skulking about. Gaits of trotting and sprinting are included in our On Leash training.
FN04: http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-L2r-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef93d2377
FN05: Yes, I know the photos are from our living room, and I take full blame for not even getting some outdoor distance shots. I hope to rectify the latter in the near future in Post #2. But I'm first and foremost a CAR GUY with Blu-Ray memory of the first time I saw a brand new metal flake gold 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado doing a 10MPH cruise straight toward me at our camp ground. I skidded my single speed bicycle to a dead stop and stared, slack jawed, at what is still a stunning piece of automotive architecture. I followed the man to his family's trailer and began peppering him with questions. "FRONT WHEEL DRIVE? You're making that up! You mean you can lay a patch with the front wheels? Show me!" FN05B: The automotive allusions stay!
~~~~
FN05B: http://www.motortrend.com/classic/roadtests/c12_0509_1966_oldsmobile_toronado/photo_06.html
FN06: How many of you concealed carry guys have a Genuine Night Ops hat :nana: ? I ritualistically KISS that hat upon donning, and before carefully storing after wearing. I have no other hat so revered as my Night Ops. La Rue Tactical hat, bottle opener, Dillo Dust? Without doubt La Rue gear is bespoke quality of the highest order for long gun gear sure, but a mere Volkswagen Golf compared to my Maybach from Night Ops. Ken Good, Thank You Sir
salutemil.gif
!

FN07: "Every Day Drag Around"
FN08: Jake25 on CPF http://www.sbflashlights.com/cart.html
FN09: "Your Mileage May Vary."

TBtO~ END OF HTML CODE ~TBtO

Last edited:

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
Reserved by TBtO for updates etc.

As noted in Post #1, the present state of light exposure photography is constrained on many fronts.
What follows is, at best of dubious value but conceivably could be preferable to a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
1) All photos were taken at one meter from a "white" wall.
2) All photos were taken with the camera set to an ISO of 50 to produce minimal noise for those who may wish to scrutinize the beam patterns of the Solarforce Drop-In that is provided as part of the L2i and L2r.
3) All photos were taken with an aperture setting of f2.8
4) Thumbnail links to large file originals are provided to save forum space, yet provide maximum resolution for artifact hunters.
5) The left column is the Fenix P3D Q5, 3 x CR123A, fresh batteries set on High (not turbo).
6) The right column is the Solarforce L2 drop-in, in this case the L2r, set on high using two Duracell Alkaline AA 1.5v Primaries.
7) The only variable is length of exposure, with identical shutter speeds paired horizontally

Fenix P3D Q5 … … … … … Solarforce L2r

1/3 Second

1/5 Second

1/10 Second

1/15 Second

1/30 Second

1/60 Second

1/125 Second

1/250 Second

MAGAZINE BATTERY:
NEGATIVE end of magazine

POSITIVE end of magazine

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other Masterpiece owners: Is this characteristic of the function of your Masterpiece, or is mine defective?
the masterpiece uses a "forward clicky"

and the L2 series uses a "reverse clicky"

a forward clicky can have the light activate with only a half press, wheras with the reverse clicky, you have to click the button, then let go.

you can temporarily shut off a reverse flicky by half pressing the cap, but you can't do this with the forward clicky.
the switching software is built to respond to these sudden power outages, and change modes.

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
the masterpiece uses a "forward clicky"

and the L2 series uses a "reverse clicky"

a forward clicky can have the light activate with only a half press, wheras with the reverse clicky, you have to click the button, then let go.

you can temporarily shut off a reverse flicky by half pressing the cap, but you can't do this with the forward clicky.
the switching software is built to respond to these sudden power outages, and change modes.
:bow: You speak with the experience of one who has spent much time behind closed doors with curtains drawn Sir Craigory!

I go now to conduct experiments in the dark, to ponder the import of these revelations, to discern divers gifts of "The Light." :eek:oo:

jimmyjames

Newly Enlightened
Curious if the 3 AAA battery holder configuration yields 4.5 volts nominal, IE all in series or are 2 batts in parallel with the other in series? Just wondering on a 4.2v max drop in. Three fresh hi quality alkaline AAA's will show 1.65 volts each which when in series will be darn close to 5 volts. Will the "hi ouput" drop in take this without damage?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious if the 3 AAA battery holder configuration yields 4.5 volts nominal, IE all in series or are 2 batts in parallel with the other in series? Just wondering on a 4.2v max drop in. Three fresh hi quality alkaline AAA's will show 1.65 volts each which when in series will be darn close to 5 volts. Will the "hi ouput" drop in take this without damage?

those cells will quickly drop their voltage under any sort of load -- so you're fine. I am unsure about L92s, though.:thinking: I don't suspect the driver would be that sensitive.

heh.. bill :crackup:and Grats on 100 QUALITY posts!! :party:

jimmyjames

Newly Enlightened
Good to know. Have 4 lights now that use 3 AAA cartridge, two of which were el cheapo give aways that are low lumen multi led affairs but appear to be capable of accepting an R2 drop in. Worth picking one up and trying anyway.

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
Excellent "test drive"!! Very well written w/ good insight into the differences of the I & R versions. Looks like an excellent Xmas gift choice just got better.
Thank You ^Gurthang!

I feel bad that I can't prod my wife's Konica/Minolta DiMage Z3 into serving as a light meter. A firmware machine code upload exists for a Craig's (csshih) point and shoot Canon, http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK, but I can't find one for the Z3, and my programming skills date back to COBOL. Also I do NOT want to turn my wife's Z3 into a paperweight :duck: . BIOS, or whatever firmware in a camera is called, can be a blissfully direct interaction for those of us who cut our teeth on 12" monochrome dumb terminals and punch cards, but I've seen many "smart" guys, some amateur "CrashMaster3000" parts assemblers, some Faculty, turn PCs into doorstops, or at least a collection of great components lacking a functional motherboard. So I'm not about to go poking around in the entrails of the camera of "She Who Must Be Obeyed."

I am working on "acquiring" a location that I can consistently access for outdoor shots in the ten meter to fifty meter range, preferably with a flat terminus such as a building. Despite being "down with" the local constabulary, there are a lot of primo public and private locations that are off limits. Some will merely elicit "Bill, come on, at least move your setup to where it can't be seen from the road." to ending up fielding questions from Federal Law Enforcement Officers as a "guest" in one of their regional H.Q.s. The reality is allegedly far less glamorous, and far more frightening, than the atmospheric gibberish portrayed on T.V. Chats with Feds is well beyond "Taking one for the Flashaholism Team" in my opinion :rolleyes: .

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
bill could you test if a C-size cell fits? and how much space is left?

you know what i am hoping for...C Li-ions

shark_za

Enlightened
I assume the L2r has a thinner body and does not take a standard 6P type tailcap?

I'm better served by a normal L2 with the 1 cell extender and the low voltage drop in.
An inner sleeve to stop the AA's from rattling around will need to be made but to me this is a better setup.

I want a L2r and L2i anyway ;)

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
I assume the L2r has a thinner body and does not take a standard 6P type tailcap?
My first Surefire(s) was a pair of C3 Centurions and I've not owned, nor handled, a 6P or 9P. The C3 tailcap is of much greater diameter than the L2r.

Also, being a newbie to 'mix and match' from different manufacturers, I've no idea whether the thread patterns are compatible.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.:shrug:

Drewfus2101

Enlightened

Ditto this. A Solarforce body that will hold a C size lithium-ion and still use the P60 drop-ins and "Surefire C head" will be a great thing.

That is without the AAA holder. Maybe even take some measurements on the diameter and length available? Thanks

My Solarforce collection KEEPS GROWING!

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
Also, I'm largely anti the 3 x AAA design. I just hate AAA alkalines. I don't know how the website can quote 45 minutes for runtime. BUT, that body could be useful if it will hold an AW C size lithium-ion.

For the 2xAA, I really like that form-factor and layout. I will eventually have to pick up one of these, as I think that 2xAA form could be useful, but I'd rather have the 1xC.

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
Ditto this. A Solarforce body that will hold a C size lithium-ion and still use the P60 drop-ins and "Surefire C head" will be a great thing.

That is without the AAA holder. Maybe even take some measurements on the diameter and length available? Thanks

My Solarforce collection KEEPS GROWING!
Will do. Currently the L2i is draining "the fourth battery" {Sounds like a war or SciFi movie eh?}. I'm using the finest AAA rechargeables and charger available, in my wife's household stuff storage system :laughing: . So I've got a grand total of 4 AAA Sakars, and an Energizer (YES, I know) charger. It will only charge pairs, and I would NOT bet my life on it being a "smart" charger, so I'm draining the fourth battery by putting it immediately below the positive pole of the magazine with two "deadish" NiMHs downstream.

SCIENCE GUYS: Will this draining method cause the Large Hadron Collider to suck our Solar System into a Dumpster in another space/time continuum? :crackup:

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened

Using "C" size NiMH rechargeables: OD 63/64ths of an inch or 1 inch.
1)The battery fits in the last 1/8" (tail end) before threads begin. This is the area where the O-Ring seats. The ID of that section is 1"
2)The OD of the tailcap threads 63/64ths
3)The plastic portion of the battery magazine is 2" 1/8 long
4)The battery magazine including the positive pole and negative pole is 2" 5/16 long

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
do there is room for a 26550 battery lengthwise but it cannot be inserted from the tailcap end..but what about from the front, below the drop-in?

Last edited: