How to fit 3 Sub-C Nimh's into old mag 2c?

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
Hi,
i just got 3 sub-c cells i ordered to put into my mag 2c p7, thinking it was p&p, but now i just realized that it won't fit like i thought...
Is there a possibility to trim the end cap of the mag or do i need an extension? i don't know if there is enough space left in the end cap, doesn't look like for me...

Is someone able to do me a favor on his lathe and do a custom extension for me? ;-)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
yes usually batteries listed as a fractional size are a little larger than the exact fraction.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Get 3 x 4/5 Sub-C, they will drop straight in with no need to change the spring.

33.5mm long 4/5 Sub-C has 2200mAh vs 43.5mm Sub-C with 5000mAh

A battery stick of 3 x 4/5 Sub-C is about 100mm long and battery stick of 3 x Sub-C is about 130mm long.

30% increase in length and 220% increase in capacity.

I personally would go for 1x26500 1C M*g or 1x26650 1.3C M*g.

stinky

Newly Enlightened
33.5mm long 4/5 Sub-C has 2200mAh vs 43.5mm Sub-C with 5000mAh

A battery stick of 3 x 4/5 Sub-C is about 100mm long and battery stick of 3 x Sub-C is about 130mm long.

30% increase in length and 220% increase in capacity.

I personally would go for 1x26500 1C M*g or 1x26650 1.3C M*g.

I wonder why this is true? oh well. but at least NIMH 4/5 sub C are really cheap. tenergy are under $3 each. I've bought other size batteries from them and they have generally ok; never bought 4/5 sub C from them so I can't comment on quality.

Fichtenelch, I have been thinking about doing something similar for a DD SST50 2C build, so please keep us posted on what you do.

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
I'm just doing a DD P7 with 3 Sub-Cs..but the ones i got are 43x21mm, so the project is just getting more complex as i wanted it to be....so i need a fm w&d tailcap for mag-c..
And one of my other projects is a mag623 with 13x2/3A's in a 4D... ;)

stinky

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, these are listed as Height 32.5 mm, Diameter 22.25 mm. height is perfect, but diameter may be too big:

Tenergy NiMh 4/5 Sub C 2000mA

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tenergy-45th-sc-1-2-2000.html

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
I just got the Sub-Cs in the wrong dimensions, but with higher capacity, 4000mAh. So, i just use them and get the different tailcap.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the Sub-Cs in the wrong dimensions, but with higher capacity, 4000mAh. So, i just use them and get the different tailcap.

Can you please post a picture of how this looks.

I just placed an order for a Malkoff XP-G 2~3C Mag drop-in and it works up to 5.5v. I want to run 2 NiMH C cells ( I have 8 in already), but I want the voltage of 3 NiMH Sub C's for full power.

I know my 1C Mag (IMR C cell ) will work too, but I like the size of a 2C the best.

I know it may be too long, but if I do this spring mod does anybody think it will fit????????
PA270331.jpg

PA270332.jpg

Fichtenelch

Enlightened

I just placed an order for a Malkoff XP-G 2~3C Mag drop-in and it works up to 5.5v. I want to run 2 NiMH C cells ( I have 8 in already), but I want the voltage of 3 NiMH Sub C's for full power.

I know my 1C Mag (IMR C cell ) will work too, but I like the size of a 2C the best.

I know it may be too long, but if I do this spring mod does anybody think it will fit????????

When you take the shorter 4/5 sub-c's, it will fit. With the ones i got in the dimension 42x21mm, it won't. So you need either an extension or a w/d tailcap.

Al Combs

Enlightened

Member donn_ had a link in post #2 of the fivemega tailcap they are talking about. I measured my Mag2C and 3*SubC's 43.5 mm long come within 3.74 mm of the outside of the stock tailcap. You could bore out the existing MagC tailcap to fit 3 SubC's. But there would be no room left over for a spring. Even solder wick folded over onto foam would leave almost no tailcap left.

Here's an alternate idea. I used an IMR26650 with the cardboard sleeve removed in a Mag-2C. Of course only safe to do in a single battery light. I took up the remaining 35 mm gap with a brass screw, three nuts and a pair of 1" washers. Actually I used 30 mm from the head of the screw to the back of the second washer. Mag tailcaps are always so difficult to screw on.:green:

L1010699_Crop.jpg