fixing a Terralux drop-in???

hms365

Newly Enlightened
I have manage to break a Terralux TLE-6EXB (in a Maglite) by dropping it 3 - 4' onto the concrete. It is too old (~2 years) for a warranty claim according to Terralux.

The symptoms are: when turning on the light, the LED will flash briefly and go out. If I turn the switch off and back on - another single flash. Sometimes the light will stay on for several seconds - then it goes out, the back to a single flash. Pretty sure it is not the flashlight - cleaned the contacts and the regular bulb works fine.

Is there anything that could be fixed on the LED?

Did I just have bad luck and replace it with the same (I really liked the light and battery life)?

Or did I learn a lesson should replace it with (fill-in the blank)?

Thanks!!!

hms365

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE:

After doing more reading here about the EXB being somewhat underpowered with 2 D batteries, I decided to put new batteries in. Works fine!

Now - another question - is this what I am stuck with? When I put the regular bulb back in, the brightness seemed about normal ( a little less), I am really surprised how much juice is left when the LED won't work. I threw the batteries into a different flashlight with regular bulb and didn't notice a difference.