Nitecore D-10 switch

Auggie_1970

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, great forum here. Just signed up. I had a question regarding a light I just purchased, the nitecore d10 . My question regards the switch on the light. Can anyone confirm that the switch is supposed to be rather hard, or requires a lot of pressure, to activate the light. I'm running a eneloop AA in there right now and have the head screwed on completely. I can get the light to funtion properly but I have to admit I was surprised with the amount of force/pressure it requires to activate the switch. Or is this something that it takes a bit of break-in time? I imagine if I opted for the 14500 that this would make it even more difficult to switch on and off, and I'd would most likely have to not tighten the head down completely. Other than that I love the light, thanks for your help.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

You'll need to remove the piston and wipe it clean. Then lightly lubricate the o-ring attached to the piston. Put it back and it should work easier now. Doesn't matter what battery you use unless it's those that are longer than usual.

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
It may be harder with a 14500. My D10, R2 version, wouldn't work at all with a 14500 until I did the spring mod but It worked ok with a nimh cell. 14500's are a little longer.
You should definity clean and lube the piston but more than likely you will need to cut about a half inch off the bottom of the spring inside the piston. There is a problem where the spring coils overlap there I stead of laying side by side as the spring is compressed.

Auggie_1970

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up. I have cleaned up the piston a bit and I'm waiting for some deoxit from 47's so hopfully that will help a bit. Is the spring mod only needed if you intend to you a 14500?
These forums are such a great resource. I dont feel so alone now considering my wife seems to mock my flashlight fetish ;)

RocketTomato

Enlightened
Hey everyone, great forum here. Just signed up. I had a question regarding a light I just purchased, the nitecore d10 . My question regards the switch on the light. Can anyone confirm that the switch is supposed to be rather hard, or requires a lot of pressure, to activate the light. I'm running a eneloop AA in there right now and have the head screwed on completely. I can get the light to funtion properly but I have to admit I was surprised with the amount of force/pressure it requires to activate the switch. Or is this something that it takes a bit of break-in time? I imagine if I opted for the 14500 that this would make it even more difficult to switch on and off, and I'd would most likely have to not tighten the head down completely. Other than that I love the light, thanks for your help.

If you plan on using the light in clicky mode, do not tighten the head down completely. Back it off a quarter turn or a half turn. Play around with it until you find an amount that you like.

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
hi there...i have a d10 as well
newly purchased a week ago...pressure to activate it
was just right not too hard
but problem is it activates itself when in my pocket.
wish that it had a little more "resistance"

other than that i love my d10.:twothumbs

Moonshadow

Enlightened
. . . it activates itself when in my pocket.

Do you have the lanyard ring fitted ? That can sometimes bump against the button. Might also be a case of whatever else is in your pocket bumping into it.

In either case, a quarter turn of the head when you're not using it will put the light into momentary mode and prevent this from happening.

RocketTomato

Enlightened
hi there...i have a d10 as well
newly purchased a week ago...pressure to activate it
was just right not too hard
but problem is it activates itself when in my pocket.
wish that it had a little more "resistance"

other than that i love my d10.:twothumbs

You can try a slightly bigger o-ring to increase resistance.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
a quarter turn of the head when you're not using it will put the light into momentary mode and prevent this from happening.

I swapped my EDC in my jeans pocket from my Jet-I Pro to a D-10 because of this feature. I can remove the D-10 from my pocket and put pressure on the switch to give me light, with my Jet-I I had to take it out of my pocket, tighten the tailcap and then press the switch (or leave it tightened in my pocket and have it activate by itself).

Auggie_1970

Newly Enlightened
Thats interesting about the light activating in your pocket. With the amount of pressure that is required to activate mine, that would be a very difficult task. Just got my deoxit last night so I'll give it a shot tonight and see how that works.

Auggie_1970

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to post this as a follow up in case this helps anyone. I received the deoxit and cleaned the old lubricant off and applied the deoxit this evening. Pressure needed to activate the switch has been greatly reduced. Much better now.

Latest posts