Anyone care to lead another newbie to the correct light?

OdinIII

Newly Enlightened
I'm ready to try one of the new LED lights and need a little help.

I've done hours and hours of research both here and on EDC forums but I seem to be going in circles. I was set on an RA Clicky 170 but don't like the looks of the factory clip for everyday carry. The aftermarket Ti clip allows the bezel down carry that I want but it will be ~40 more dollars. This combined with the relatively high cost made me keep looking.

Then I come across the LiteFlux LF3XT and the 7777's Quark 123. Both seem to do everything I want and are much cheaper and the LF3XT even has a bezel down clip.

I prefer to spend as little as possible but the cost of the Ra isn't out of my price range even with the cost of the clip included.

My desires are as follows

1)A bright high with good throw. I have an old SureFire C2 incandescent that I've had for years. Any light that throws that far and is that bright will be satisfactory to me. Do any of the new LED lights do this?
2)I would like this high to have a forward clicky switch to be used primarily momentarily.
3)I would like this high to be first on out of the pocket.
4)I would also like a strobe function to be easily accessible also.
5)A 10 to 20 lumen and a very low level for night use would also be nice although I will continue to carry a small light that I use for work that can do this job.

I would like to carry clipped to a pocket but I may end up just throwing it inside the pocket. I tend to try to buy a lifetime solution and keep it forever so cost is a secondary consideration but I also don't like to waste money.

If more details are needed just let me know.

Thanks

bullrydr85

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am pretty new to these new LEDs but like you have done my research. I have a buddy that swears by Surefire and they are great but many of the new LEDs are as bright or brighter with great throw and I think you'll be suprised once you get one to compare. I have fallen for JETBeam but there are many great companies that offer the features you are looking for. I went with said company because of great reviews, power, throw, quality, and all at a price that is affordable. There are many lights that are much cheaper or much more expensive but I like you have a budget to consider and I am also a "you get what you pay for" guy. All I can recommend is the company mentioned above since after much research I concluded it was the right one for my needs. Do your research as that may not be the right buy for you and there are more fantastic lights out there then you can shake a stick at. These lights are in the not to cheap to be questionable and not to expensive to be unobtainable range.
http://www.jetbeam.com.cn/links/

Also look here for more research, brands, and places to purchase.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=181841

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion would be to get the 140 model and a Ti clip. It is pretty difficult to see any real world difference in the output of the 140 & 170 models. The Clicky is a great light - well worth the money. My 140 Cn with Ti Bezel up/down clip is with me most days!!

Good luck with your decision,

James....:thumbsup:

batmanacw

Enlightened
I am going to the gun show tomorrow to pick up a Nitecore Defense Infinity. If you leave it in tactical mode it will come on in high, just as you require. Turning the bezel to loosen will turn it to user defined light level. I am pretty sure it goes down to 5 lumens, but you can leave it on whatever brightness you require.

This light completely fills every requirement you have specified for $83 if I remember correctly.

I have a RA clicky Executive with a 170 lumen tactical head. Its a great light, but I will not be buying another one for the money. Mine cost $194 total delivered.

I have the Nitecore D10 and EX10 and am picking up the NDI tomorrow. I will have $200 in all three.

The 14500 li-ion batteries run great in the D10.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Quark tactical might be a good choice for you. Strobe would take a bit of time to get to if you have bezel tight as high, and loosen as low. The Liteflux will allow a quicker access but I don't think it throws as well.

The Nitecore Defender Infinity or Extreme could alos be a good choice. Tighten is always high, and you can program the low mode. It also has strobe which isn't too hard to get to.

:welcome:

fiorano

Newly Enlightened
The Quark tactical might be a good choice for you.

+1

But the Q123 is better without the clip since it gets in the way when changing batteries. Plus it's not a deep carry clip.

Not sure if not having a clip is a deal breaker but then again a Q123 is really pretty small and easily works for pocket carry. You don't really need a clip with it, says me.

Another thing, 4Sevens still has a 15% off coupon (QUARK15) right now for Quark Regular and Tactical lights. That plus a 10 year warranty is a pretty good deal.

OdinIII

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys. It look like I have several more lights to check out.

The Quark tactical might be a good choice for you. Strobe would take a bit of time to get to if you have bezel tight as high, and loosen as low. The Liteflux will allow a quicker access but I don't think it throws as well.

The Nitecore Defender Infinity or Extreme could alos be a good choice. Tighten is always high, and you can program the low mode. It also has strobe which isn't too hard to get to.

:welcome:

I should have been more clear but it looks like if I went with the Quark I would buy the regular version and the tactical button so have easy access to strobe.

OdinIII

Newly Enlightened
+1

But the Q123 is better without the clip since it gets in the way when changing batteries. Plus it's not a deep carry clip.

Not sure if not having a clip is a deal breaker but then again a Q123 is really pretty small and easily works for pocket carry. You don't really need a clip with it, says me.

Another thing, 4Sevens still has a 15% off coupon (QUARK15) right now for Quark Regular and Tactical lights. That plus a 10 year warranty is a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the code. I hadn't heard about that one. As bad as I want a good clip it looks like the Quark clip will only serve as an anti roll device and a hat clip for me. I guess that is one strike against it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The LF3XT can be set up exactly as you want it. The programming may seem complex at first, but with a little practice works well. Not as robust as a Ra, but less money.

Geoff

OdinIII

Newly Enlightened
Those Nitecore lights seem to be perfect. I cant find a flaw. A little more research and I'll be ready to pull the trigger.

Any more suggestions?

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
how about cheaper Ra.. like their edc series?

i have been wanting to get one for months, but i can get almost the same functions from cheaper manufacturers so i have passed on them so far. and i just dont like to carry something that expensive on me in fear i loose it.

but quark is good value too. (my edc..) tactical version that gives you the momentary output.. allows only 2 modes. (programming for more modes takes while.)

regular version gives you all the modes. but no momentary as is.. to get a momentary output you need to buy a separate tactical tailcap. and with that the changing modes and general use of it becomes a bit tedious (just my opinion). as when using momentary you can jump to next mode so easily.

but for "lifetime" solution.. (i personally believe anything beyond couple years is fooling yourself) i think quark is better option than liteflux (just for the 10year warranty alone)

and for 59$ (minus 8 or 15%) you get a heck of a light.

OdinIII

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently looking at the Nitecore Extreme or Defender. I think they will work with the high/strobe and the user mode set to minimum.

My only concern is that they may not pocket carry to well. I need to find more size comparison shots between them and the LF3XT and the Ra Clicky.

One of my strikes against the Clicky is that it would have to be turned on max before getting to the low settings. Is this true? Keep in mind I want max available out of pocket.

I am paying attention that I am getting close to the price of the lower end Ra Clicky's.

If only I had a local dealer that carried all the top contenders.

batmanacw

Enlightened
I'm currently looking at the Nitecore Extreme or Defender. I think they will work with the high/strobe and the user mode set to minimum.

My only concern is that they may not pocket carry to well. I need to find more size comparison shots between them and the LF3XT and the Ra Clicky.

One of my strikes against the Clicky is that it would have to be turned on max before getting to the low settings. Is this true? Keep in mind I want max available out of pocket.

I am paying attention that I am getting close to the price of the lower end Ra Clicky's.

If only I had a local dealer that carried all the top contenders.

The Defender infinity pocket carries perfectly due to its small dia. The Extreme has a much bigger bezel, which means probably more throw, but its not as compact for your pocket.

I am carrying the NDI in my pocket as I type this. Its a great light. I like the fact that I can have high or my set brightness by the twist of the top.

One other very important feature. The threads are coarse and very smooth. It is very easy to turn the bezel with one hand to switch from one mode to another. I cannot switch from high to strobe with one hand, but I do have access to both high and user defined mode.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
With multi mode lights I like reverse clickies. I tried a forward in my P2D Q5 and it drove me nuts.

Fenix such as P2D (123) or L1D (AA) have two main modes. With head tight they come on in turbo and at least the 123 P2 is BRIGHT in turbo! Bump the reverse switch and you get strobe.

Quark lights like the 123 or AA can take Li-Ion batteries without losing modes. They work the same way in the standard models.

I desire a Quark AA to displace my primary only P2D.

Perhaps when my new job gets rolling good I'll be able to do so....

PS: Quark AA on Li-ion will get both Brighter and Dimmer than P2D on 123. And clip is no bother as I use a belt holster.

OdinIII

Newly Enlightened
One more question Guys.

Let us say I'm in a movie theater and drop something. I pull out my Ra Clicky or LF3XT. Assuming I have both set tactically with a high on first can I access the lows before the light ramps to bright?

I think the answer is no so does this seem to be a problem in the real world?

batmanacw

Enlightened
One more question Guys.

Let us say I'm in a movie theater and drop something. I pull out my Ra Clicky or LF3XT. Assuming I have both set tactically with a high on first can I access the lows before the light ramps to bright?

I think the answer is no so does this seem to be a problem in the real world?

With my Ra clicky, I usually just press the bezel into my leg to turn it on, then triple click to get to low.

With my NDI I just turn the bezel a little loose, click it on, then double click while its pressed to my leg. It only takes a second and knowing your UI. That can be a challenge when you have so many lights with different UIs.

chef4850

Enlightened
+1 for the nitecore extreme a very great versatile light at a fraction of the cost. I have the (in fact I have two) Ra lights the 120 edc-e as well as the 170 tactical. Both are really great lights but for the cost the NEX is the overall best choice based on out put and $ IMOP.

Chef