Beam from NiteCore SmartPD D10 R2 Edition?

goldenlight

Enlightened
I'm looking at buying a NiteCore SmartPD D10 R2 Edition.

I'm looking for a small light that doesn't have too much of a SPOT beam. I looked for reviews, but although I got a huge humber of hits, I couldn't find a good description of the beam.

I bought an O-lite I10 Infinitum. Despite a review that said it had 'good spill', I found the beam to WAY too much of a spot for me.

Probably 99% of the time, I use a flashlight for fairly close up work, so I like a beam with quite a LOT of side spill.

So, for those of you who OWN a NiteCore SmartPD D10 R2 Edition, how would you describe the beam?

I should mention that I find lights with a diffuser to be TOO spread out. I like a hot spot; just not almost ALL spot.

Thank you

Last edited:

ThesaurZA

Newly Enlightened
I own an SP and I'm not sure how to describe it without comparison. I just compared it to the standard D10 R2 and Quark AA. It is more floody than the Quark with bigger hotspot and good amount more spill. Compared to the standard D10, it's about the same as far as I can tell. I always found the standard D10 to be floody enough for indoors use, crawling around in the roof ceiling, etc.

Just by the by, my standard D10 R2 is noticeably warmer than the SP.

batmanacw

Enlightened
The spill on my D10 r2 is very usable, but it does not sound like its what you are looking for. You want something with an orange peel reflector. I am guess small and shallow to give a bigger flood.

There are plenty of guys on here who will head you in the right direction.

The D10 has plenty of spill for looking around while focused on one spot.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between D10 R2 and D10 SP R2, go for the latter. It has a smoother hotspot blending to the spill. Or get D10 GD+ if you can find one.