Newby looking for a decent light

davereb

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently in the market for a new EDC light for work. I'm currently using a Maglight 2AA LED, but would like too find something a little shorter `4"-5". However I would like it too have the same body diameter as the maglight so it will fit in my LM SkeletoolBelt sheath #1 http://store.leatherman.com/shop/shop.aspx?category=51I'm

I'm new to lights so I'm not sure exaclty what I'm after except for the basic size. I would prefer it too run off of AAA, or AA batteries for convienience, but I'm not married to this. I'm an electrician and want something bright enough for dark cielings, rooms...ect, as well as adjustable brightness levels. I'd also like to keep price under $100.

TIA
Dave

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your link took me to the log in page.

Were you directing him to the Quark 2AA? , that would be my choice!

Also consider the Maratac AAA. I clip it to my hat brim when doing panel installs and it works great.

ndi, think i fixed the link?:thinking:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

why not consider a range of 2xAA lights as this apparently is the length that will suit your holster and the length would be something that you are used to and should be comfortable with.

Budget lights that i would recommend:

1. Romisen RC N3 II Q5, 2 mode, 2xAA (but can run in 1xCR123/RCR123 combination - loses 2 modes when using RCR123 though)

2. Romisen RC N3 warm white, as above, but single mode using a warmer tinted LED for better colour rendition.

I own both these lights and they're great budget lights, have given the RC N3 II to a friend living in Australia whose husband just started a new job driving a truck as i think he will have better use for it (and also to infect him), she flew in to singapore to attend to a family emergency and i also gave her an Akoray AAA. You can see some comparisons between the RC N3 II Q5 on high and the RC N3 warm white here

Higher end lights:

1. Nitecore D20 - instant low and instant high, programmable to a certain extent but loses the programmed mode if you access instant low or high
2. Jetbeam Jet I Pro EX - 3 individually programmable modes (strobe frequency can be set as well, but you never need to see it if you dont want it)
3. Fenix range of 2xAAs (check 4sevens.com and use code CPF8 for a discount) - i own the TK20 but dont think that tank of a light can fit your holster)
4. Quark range of 2xAAs

Of all those, i only own the Romisen and the TK20 so i rely on CPF for reviews of all the others.

cheers.

stallion2

Enlightened
IMHO the best combination of price and performance i've seen has been w/ Fenix and Olight products. i bought myself an EDC last month. after reading up for a couple weeks i went w/ a Fenix LD20. it's pretty bright for running on 2 AA's, 180 lm on high which is even w/ most of the EDC's running on one CR123 plus its runtime is more than double most of those same lights. i paid $60 for mine. it's definitely worth considering if you don't mind the length being almost 6".

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the Romisen RC-N3/RC-N3 II from shiningbeam would be a great starter light for you. Good price, good quality, good output, AA powered, and a forward clickie. "CPFuser" for 6% off.

:welcome: