Is fishing in the U.S. going to be a thing of the past?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found an article saying that the waters were going to be controlled and taken over for "preservation" and many, if not all the areas legal to fish will be gone.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/articles/feds_to_60_million.html

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen if this actually takes place. No commercial fishing industry. Loss of a $125 billion sport fishing industry. Less tax revenue for the government during a recession. People losing more jobs. People starving to death who depend on fish for food. Skyrocketing fish prices in stores, if not a complete lack of fish in the future. And of course, the loss of a major sport.

I guess I won't be getting a fishing license next year if this happens.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Saw this on another forum a while back. Not sure what to think of it. Doesnt really matter what happens, us good ole boys will still fish :tinfoil: Just one more market to send overseas so we can dig ourselves further in debt.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a disturbing trend. I live in California and new gun control laws will probably force me to go out of state to buy bullets to hunt. It took me a week to find .22 long rifle ammo because these new laws are causing gun owners to start a run on ammo. If I read that article right, next year I'm going to have to have a passport and leave the country to fish (or own property with a fish filled lake). California may end up being a state of involuntary vegetarians if this keeps up. They can have my meat when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
they can have my neighbors fishing pole when they pry it from his cold, dead hands. And who knows, they might have to anyway. Every warm day of any season, this 87+ year old dude walks down to the dock, and sits all day catching dozens of fish, which he then releases.

He'll be pissed. But he'll keep fishing.

Patriot

Flashaholic
California may end up being a state of involuntary vegetarians if this keeps up. They can have my meat when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

They don't intent to create involuntary Vegetarians, only their style of compliant meat eaters. In other words, "We'll feed you and you'll like it." :rolleyes:

Although there will probably be incredible public backlash and outrage from even outlining this type of proposal, it is a serious issue if Shimano is actively involved in fighting legislation. The lobby groups that would be opposed to this sort of outlandish thing would likely be vicious and no sweeping legislation would be enacted. However, this type of basic attack on the sportsman is always the "foot in the door," the "taste test," the "conditioning protocal" if you will, and we should respond with vigorous protest.

I don't know who the strongest protection organization is for the anglers but I'll try to find out if no one else posts it here. Anyone who has an interest in American freedoms should support the best groups with funds. Remember, they don't need a one million dollar donor, they need one million, one dollar donors. I always give $2-5 to these types of causes because every little bit helps. Imagine 30,000,000 people giving $2 bucks each! That's a lot of power. :thumbsup:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In live in Michigan, and fishing is still going strong. Hunting is down - way down, but it's more of a cultural thing than anything else. Fishing though, from ice fishing to deep lake to shallow lake bass/blue-gill remains quite popular.

Half a day's drive north or east to Canada and you have damn good Walleye / Pike fishing. Pike are treated like vermin by the Canadians, but if you fillet them right they are just about as good as Walleye, and Walleye / Perch are about as tasty as it gets. Plus, a big Pike is a lot more fun to catch on light tackle than Bass or Trout.

I'm not trying to be a tree-hugger, but I really am on the side of those who promote commercial fishing of only sustainable species, especially on the ocean side. I won't touch deepwater / predatory species because of mercury issues.

andrew123

Newly Enlightened
Half a day's drive north or east to Canada and you have damn good Walleye / Pike fishing. Pike are treated like vermin by the Canadians, but if you fillet them right they are just about as good as Walleye, and Walleye / Perch are about as tasty as it gets. Plus, a big Pike is a lot more fun to catch on light tackle than Bass or Trout.
I'll drink to that. There just isn't anything like it to have a big ole' slew shark grabbing your line and hearing your drag zing as your line is pulled out. And yes, if you cook them right, they are just about as tasty as walleye. They are just a bugger to hang on to them while you are filleting them.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've got to throw in this side observation from last night's dinner:

To the best of my knowledge, I've NEVER had FARMED Atlantic salmon on a plate in front of me. Sheltered life? Nope, blessed to have lived around fresh sources all my life!

Last night, some was given to me and I had the opportunity to finally compare it to WILD Alaskan Coho -aka silver- salmon (I prefer & think sockeye -aka red- salmon is best, but everyone has their own tastes).

By itself, the FARMED wasn't bad - but next to the WILD ---> ABSOLUTELY NO comparison at all!! Give me WILD (and preferably FRESH) caught fish ANYTIME & EVERYTIME!!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The issue is whether fishing in certain areas is sustainable. Much of Puget Sound (where I live) is over fished.

It's not about how many jobs the fishing industry provides, or the tobacco industry, or the gambling industry or any other industry.

Commercial fishing worldwide can't continue in the current indiscriminate way that it is currently being done.

It's not about prying fishing poles out of the hands of 87 year olds.

Get real. Don't get all of your news from fishing company/lobbyists (or environment lobbyists).

You are going to be able to continue to fish. If you can't fish in certain areas for a while it's because they are over fished. You aren't helping yourself to continue fishing in these areas.

I'm a scuba diver. In Puget Sound I see very few rockfish compared to our outer coast. Rockfish can live from 75 to 100 years (depending on type). They don't mate in some cases until they are 10 years old. Once you overfish it takes forever to restock.

I'm not any bigger fan of the government getting things right than anyone else but use your head. They aren't doing this just because it's a tree hugging thing to do. No one is out to get you.

Empath

Flashaholic
Gun control and anti-government discussion (several posts) has been removed.

Archie Cruz

Banned
It's inevitable. I did a college paper on this way back. 70% of all the freshwater fish density in the US has disappeared in 230 years! Most US fresh water streams can't support anything beyond tiddlers anyway.
The Brits had this problem and solved it with heavily controlled fishing. Being a sport of the rich and famous now, flyfishing 'experience' is a big money making business- hence, it will be available mostly to the elite. I watch with bemusement, as every day, dozens of guys fish a local lake. They catch nothing.
It's the fault of the human footprint exerting itself in careless ways. I read a story for my research , translated from Native American Indian that spoke of waters swelling with over populated salmon and trout. That was just 200 years ago!
Sad.
I sold all my good gear 10 years ago.
Now I just fish saltwater and for tiddlers now and then.

brucec

Enlightened
$125 billion for the sport fishing industry?? Come on, that's approaching the size of the global notebook computer market! How about the mobile phone market? I guess if one is willing to believe that, then one would probably believe that catching fish with no other purpose other than to them go is a humane compassionate past-time. :tinfoil:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The issue is whether fishing in certain areas is sustainable. Much of Puget Sound (where I live) is over fished.

It's not about how many jobs the fishing industry provides, or the tobacco industry, or the gambling industry or any other industry.

Commercial fishing worldwide can't continue in the current indiscriminate way that it is currently being done.

It's not about prying fishing poles out of the hands of 87 year olds.

I agree that fish harvesting by the larger companies has decreased the population of fish significantly. Most of the large food fish in the oceans are gone. However, sport fishing with one or two poles is a different story, especially those that just do catch and release. Just because an area is shut down for us to use in the US doesn't mean the fish won't be harvested by other countries. In the end, this may have no effect on our oceans other than keeping us from fishing because it can't prevent other countries from harvesting the fish we would have had. By the way, man isn't the only thing capable of destroying populations of animals. In Austria, a freak hailstorm killed around 90% of the wild game and now they are trying to ban hunting for five years to let the game reproduce back to sustainable numbers. http://www.telegraph.co/uk/news/wor...-after-hailstones-kill-90pc-of-wild-game.html In the end, we need to find the balance between keeping a sustainable population of fish (or any other game animal for that matter) and being able to fish enough to feed the population of people who depend on them to survive.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the Northwest, we've had run after run of salmon extirpated or demolished to the point where the salmon run can no longer recover. There are lots of causes, from dams to pesticides to destructive logging to hatcheries. But over-fishing is the big one.

I'm an environmentalist. I've worked on countless projects to restore salmon habitat, but most of our efforts fail because there are not enough fish returning from the sea to use the habitat, largely because aggressive fishing interests work behind the scenes to pull the strings of the regulatory agencies. And if we do manage some weak, early gains, poachers often wipe them out.

The best way to protect your rights to fish is to protect the fish. For those who don't like environmentalists, you can check out the Coastal Conservation Association, which is a group representing the rights of fishermen and trying to restore fish stocks to healthy levels.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love fishing, but fishing loves me too: I never catch anything. I sure would be upset if it were to become illegal to go fishing, even when "going fishing" doesn't mean "catching fish" :p But seriously, I like fishing. and light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
brucec
$125 billion for the sport fishing industry?? Come on, that's approaching the size of the global notebook computer market! How about the mobile phone market? I guess if one is willing to believe that, then one would probably believe that catching fish with no other purpose other than to them go is a humane compassionate past-time. :tinfoil:
Maybe you're a little off the beaten path living up in NY but $125 billion is actually pretty accurate. Believe it or not there still is a large percentage of the population who own fishing poles rather than a notebooks. According to NOAA fisheries, saltwater anglers alone contribute over $82 billion annually to the economy. Also, before you get on a "humane & compassionate" kick with regards to fishing, you might examine the ramifications for livestock that supplies the meat that you eat. If we shouldn't catch and release fish according to you, then it logically follows that we should by no means ever catch, kill and eat them as they suffer far worse before dying. I hope you treat plants and insects with the same respect you treat fish since they're living things too. Good luck with that. ;)

http://www.fishingworld.com/News/Read.php?ArtID=000026373

http://capwiz.com/keepamericafishing/issues/alert/?alertid=14119696
"The Task Force released their Interim Report on September 10, 2009. The single most obvious flaw in the report is the omission of responsibly regulated recreational fishing as a key activity for the oceans and the Great Lakes. In addition, as a national policy document governing the oceans and Great Lakes, the report is skewed toward a preservationist policy of locking up public waters instead of one that promotes sustainable uses such as recreational fishing."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/documents/09_17_09_Interim_Report_of_Task_Force_FINAL2.pdf

Last edited:

ypsifly

Enlightened
Yeah it will never fly in Michigan. For many of us it is a way of life.

A lot of effective habitat restoration is done by anglers. Look at some of the work Trout Unlimited has done. Our Department of Natural Resources is hurting big time and many of us have stepped up to maintain the fisheries. MUCC clubs do a lot of work with the DNR including anti-poaching campaigns and environmental surveys and monitoring as well as river cleanups. I guided a group of biologists and Watershed Council members down my local river a few years ago to survey aquatic life and water quality.

Take us out of the picture and things will REALLY get bad.

brucec

Enlightened
Maybe you're a little off the beaten path living up in NY but $125 billion is actually pretty accurate. Believe it or not there still is a large percentage of the population who own fishing poles rather than a notebooks. According to NOAA fisheries, saltwater anglers alone contribute over $82 billion annually to the economy. Also, before you get on a "humane & compassionate" kick with regards to fishing, you might examine the ramifications for livestock that supplies the meat that you eat. If we shouldn't catch and release fish according to you, then it logically follows that we should by no means ever catch, kill and eat them as they suffer far worse before dying. I hope you treat plants and insects with the same respect you treat fish since they're living things too. Good luck with that. ;)

Life or death as a food animal is surely unpleasant, but it's all part of the food chain. Catch and release is not part of that chain and in my opinion, just seems like inflicting needless suffering on animals with no other purpose but our entertainment.

I grew up fishing in Florida off piers and boats. I've also spent time fishing the streams of Colorado and the lakes of California. While I'm sure the fish I've caught would have preferred to be released instead of gutted (sometimes while still alive), it's all part of the food chain. I just don't think it's cool to catch something, potentially injuring it critically, with the intention of just putting it back. If you are going to do that, why not just leave them alone in the first place? Anyway, I personally like fishing quite a bit, but if they ever restrict it to just catch and release, I'll give it up altogether. Just my own opinion.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Catch and release doesn't work in many cases anyway. For rockfish it's still a death sentence due to their swim bladders. When you reel them in from depth the air in the swim bladders can't get out and expands effectively causing death.

When you catch and relese large fish/sharks in many cases that kills them as well. They weight too much to take out of the water...the internal organs can't handle that unsupported weight.

I've seen a sixgill shark (while diving) with a broken jaw...couldn't close it's mouth. This was from catch and release...they have rather weak connective tissue connecting the upper and lower jaw.

The real point of the article quoted is just that in many areas it's been overfished. It's hard to argue that it's fine to continue fishing in an over fished area. Most fisherman do understand this and comply with the various regulations designed to get fishing a sustainable endeavor.