noob drop-in question

boilermaker

Newly Enlightened
Hey fellas, long time lurker here. My question is about p60 drop-ins. Does the dropin it self have the electronics(regulator/mode functions).

I've been thinking about a 6p with a malkoff drop-in. It seemed like it was the highest reguarded combo here for a while. Can anybody comment on their 6p/malkoff.

Thanks in advance.

tundratrader

Enlightened
Malkoff is a complete dropin all you need is batteries. Many people use bored out 6p's as hosts. Many just use 17670 aw cells without boring. Primaries work fine as well. The only thing you need to work out is warm, or standard bluish white and if you want flood or spot. I have messed around with quite a few options and I find the malkoffs hard to beat. They are bright as heck and I do not think I have read about one failing on here. If is does for some reason Gene is always close to the phone and is a pleasure to talk with.

Another one I have been reading alot about lately is the the ones Nailbender is coming up with he has quite a few different LED's to try out. His also include the electronics. That is why they are called dropins.

Sorry that was kinda a fan boy post. But I just love the damn things.

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
The malkoffs are more of a duty light while the nailbenders can really crank and have more led options

IMO if you are leo and your life depends on the light go malkoff, if you are a dogwalker like me I love the variety of options nb provides

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Installing a drop-in is usually as easy as swapping a bulb, hence the name "drop-in" They are literally supposed to drop right in and work.

As for Malkoff products, they all get lots of praise, and are of good quality from everything I've read.

:welcome:

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Hey fellas, long time lurker here. My question is about p60 drop-ins. Does the dropin it self have the electronics(regulator/mode functions).

I've been thinking about a 6p with a malkoff drop-in. It seemed like it was the highest reguarded combo here for a while. Can anybody comment on their 6p/malkoff.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to CPF Boilermaker!

I EDC a Surefire C2 with M60 or a Vital Gear FB2 (non Surefire E-series compatible head type body) with Malkoff VME Head with a Malkoff M60 depending on the pants I am wearing:sssh:.
When I am at work my bat belt holds both the Surefire C2 with Malkoff M60 and a Surefire Z2 with Malkoff M60. I also have a M60F in a Surefire C3. I am have only had they drop-ins for about a month and half but find a need for them on a daily basis and am yet to have a problem. When you get on of these in a package and open it up you will :faint: due to how over-engineered these our, hence why they are so dependable and sought after by many. I will second that I have never heard of anyone state of a Malkoff Failure on the forums and also that Gene and his Wife are awesome to deal with if you have any questions or concerns.

Any particular need your looking to fill with this light or type of work you'll be using this for?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yes mode switching capabilities are contained in the module (DC-DC programmable IC to be exact).

G&P and I tihnk Solarforce make tailcap switches that contain mode switching circuitry, but the only ones I have yet seen are hi and strobe modes.

Sandwich shoppe used to sell a resistor module DIY kit that you could mod your Z41 tailcap to dual modes, Hi and Low. I played with one at a CPF meet and its pretty sweet. It retains the twist/momentary function of the stock Z41. Twist a little to activate low, twist all the way to activate hi. You use the momentary switch the same way... press lightly for low, press all the way for hi. Unfortunately that switch mod has long been discont'd (AFIAK). Electrically its not unlike Jenes dual mode ring for the MD2... just a resistor in line to throttle current into the module for low.

Oh and welcome to CPF!!!

Last edited:

boilermaker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses!
ionizedsky: I can't nail down a specific need or use for this light. I may mount it to my Airforce Condor(pellett gun) for racoon hunting. I work in powerhouses and refineries, so it may get some duty in the powerhouse.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses!
ionizedsky: I can't nail down a specific need or use for this light. I may mount it to my Airforce Condor(pellett gun) for racoon hunting. I work in powerhouses and refineries, so it may get some duty in the powerhouse.

Well if your coon hunting I would probably suggest the M60 because of its combination of mid-range throw/still good side spill beam patten. I took some beam shots this morning real quick before I had to head out to work so quality is not that great but it might help yea out. They are about 5yards total distance inside my apartment. You can see how the M60 vs M60F the M60 would reach out a little further with its nice hot spot but like I said it still has good side spill.

Control Shot

M60 Vitalgear FB2 + VME Head on 2 RCR123

M60F Surefire C3 on 3 RCR123

Control Shot

M60 Vitalgear FB2 + VME Head on 2 RCR123

M60F Surefire C3 on 3 RCR123