An Unmatched Set of AA Triplets

saltytri

Enlightened
I accidentally posted this on Custom & Mod B/S/T, so I'm starting over.

Here's a trio of AA lights that I finished today. These are going to be stocking stuffers for non-flashaholics, thus the use of AA alkalines. The business end is single-level XR-E Q5 with optics. All three were first machined out of 6061 into the same basic form and then "decorated" individually as an exercise to help develop my new machining skills. All were bead blasted, with polished bits on the one with all the fins. There's no glass lens – the optic seals to the bezel with an o-ring. If that's good enough for Gene Malkoff, it's good enough for me!

4044211291_65001500a3.jpg

4044945374_7fe69d1ca2.jpg

4044948510_d0325836c9.jpg

4044470291_f17b24ce07.jpg

4044471823_22352ce195.jpg

Last edited:

saltytri

Enlightened
Okay. You got it:

4045529270_0d76f7f818.jpg

Top is the AA and bottom is 2xCR123 pushing a Surefire P60L, the latter being no barn burner but at least a standard reference.

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that bead blasting makes for a nice finish! I like the contrast with the shiny as well. Any plans to anodize?

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow those AA lights look really cool, BTW what driver did you use??someones going to have a nice christmas....

By the way I think we are family ....errrrr yep I sure I'm your forth cousion twice removed step brother in law.

Feel free to PM me for my address to send on any gifts for the family :D

saltytri

Enlightened
Wow, that bead blasting makes for a nice finish! I like the contrast with the shiny as well. Any plans to anodize?

These were blasted with a medium bead to get more texture. They aren't all that "sparkly" in person.

I'm going to have to try DIY anodizing one of these days - just haven't gotten around to it yet.

saltytri

Enlightened
How much would you charge for something like this?

I love the design of the bottom one in the first two pictures

I couldn't possibly make anything to sell - I'm way too slow. In a production shop, the boss would fire me the first day!

swiftwing

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't possibly make anything to sell - I'm way too slow. In a production shop, the boss would fire me the first day!

I'm sure slow wouldn't be much of a deterrent to us :thumbsup:.

I saw your first thread and was rather disappointed they weren't for sale. :D

wquiles

Flashaholic
I accidentally posted this on Custom & Mod B/S/T, so I'm starting over.

Here's a trio of AA lights that I finished today. These are going to be stocking stuffers for non-flashaholics, thus the use of AA alkalines. The business end is single-level XR-E Q5 with optics. All three were first machined out of 6061 into the same basic form and then "decorated" individually as an exercise to help develop my new machining skills. All were bead blasted, with polished bits on the one with all the fins. There's no glass lens – the optic seals to the bezel with an o-ring. If that's good enough for Gene Malkoff, it's good enough for me!

(snip pics)

Dude - very nice work indeed :twothumbs

Will

saltytri

Enlightened
Thanks, Will.

(A lot of what I know was learned over on the Materials/Mechanical/Machining sub forum, where Will is one of the Wise Men. :bow:)

David