HDS/Novatac-serious question

chaoss

Enlightened
I know that the HDS series of lights are highly praised here and was just wondering what the real difference/s is between the two?

Comparing a HDS Ultimate 60 XR/GT to an early s.n. Novatac 85/120P, what are the major pluses/minuses of the two?

I'm only asking because i think that these lights are (IMO) the greatest in terms of output, design, run time, upgradeability, beam quality & U.I.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that the HDS series of lights are highly praised here and was just wondering what the real difference/s is between the two?

Comparing a HDS Ultimate 60 XR/GT to an early s.n. Novatac 85/120P, what are the major pluses/minuses of the two?

I'm only asking because i think that these lights are (IMO) the greatest in terms of output, design, run time, upgradeability, beam quality & U.I.

The older HDS has more efficient electronics and a better mechanical design using the threaded electronics module. More care was placed on making the HDS such as a HA coated electronics module instead of type II anno for the NT. Light stipple reflector (HDS) vs OP (NT).

Really the different between them after that is basically the UI.

You can upgrade both to the latest LED tech so I'm not including that same with poly-carb vs UCL.

turbodog

Flashaholic
To upgrade the novatac requires removal of the retaining rings that hold it together. Good luck getting these rings to stay put after that.

Novatac had/has serious issues with retaining rings and the main battery tube threads wearing out.

For the price of buying either light and upgrading it, you can simply buy a new ra light which is the latest version of hds/novatac for $99. It takes runtime from 30 min (hds/novatac) to at least 60 min and usually much more.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I don't own nor have I owned a Ra light - really because of the substantial size increase. I've owned an Arc 4+, and HDS B42XRGT and two Novatacs, an 85P and a 120P.

Since your question was limited to HDS/Novatac I'll only discuss those. I have had zero problems with any of the HDS or Novatac lights. I don't notice any appreciable difference in overall build quality or sturdiness - if really pressed the HDS maybe felt just slightly less mass produced. The Novatac was, despite the eventual issues, a product of Henry's designs of the last generation HDS lights - so there shouldn't be a huge difference and I haven't felt like there was one in use. I have not modded any of them other than to add a PEU bezel to my 120P, so I can't speak to ease of opening or modding (I'll say that the bezel on my 120P was very, very difficult to remove but I don't know if it is any different than cracking a Surefire head). There were two differences that I saw, aside from the obvious output issues - the first is the stainless stock bezel on the Novatac. The aluminum ring on the HDS was the only weak spot in construction and the stainless stock ring is a big step up (and you can see that Henry took it one step further in the Ra lights). Of course you can replace them on either light so this is not a huge issue. The other is that the Novatac UI does have some improvements in terms or setting the light levels than the HDS UI did - it is certainly easier and easier to do "on the fly" than the HDS. Otherwise basic operation is the same.

Given the now collectors pricing that HDS lights seem to have in the marketplace (wish I'd held on to mine a bit longer...) I don't see that there is a lot of reason to spend the money on that knowing you'll realistically need to mod it to bring it up to modern standards since it is a LuxIII light.

All that being said - if size is not an issue or concern I'd probably look to a Ra Clickie as it embodies the most current version of that UI heritage and I believe Henry will be around for some time making lights and honoring warranties. I have no reason to expect that Novatac won't really, other than the lack of any new lights or developments in the civilian market since the EDC lights were brought to market years ago.