Lens questions

ypsifly

Enlightened
When I buy a light, lens durability is a big issue for me. For instance, I love my SL TT3C. It was my first step above a M@g, my only hybrid so far, and it feels great in hand and works well for most tasks despite the blue tint of the leds. However it has some battle scars the most noticeable being a scratched lens that is noticeable in the beam. Not just on white walls. The extra artifacts when in incan mode are annoying.

Is there a replacement lens available?

Another question: Do strike bezels provide more protection for the lens? Not the Klingon looking models like the Solar Force A001, but something a little lower in profile. I ask because I'm thinking of taking the teeth off of my 6PDL and putting them on my C2L, which will be sporting a Malkoff 60 F 20 Degree soon. I'm wondering if the teeth combined with that drop in will create a weird beam edge but I'm thinking it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, is there a chart somewhere that compares different lens materials such as borofloat, saphire, AR coated...etc.

I did some searching but I may have missed something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
do You still use the hybrid?

Because I would advise to get a good multi level led light instead, fighting both cons of the hybrid:
* no more blue light at low level,
* high level (more output than the bulb) with less current consumed, adding to runtime

a single 18650 light will also get dramatically smaller

better than putting much thought and some money into the TT3

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The absolute best lens for durability would be sapphire glass, it's supremely clear and has the best transmittance of any material and is so tough they make shatter resistant windows for armored vehicles with it, this isn't bullet absorbing glass either, literally when a bullet hits the window instead of the windows shattering the bullet shatters and deflects. And the only naturally occuring material harder than sapphire is diamonds.

ragcapyup

Newly Enlightened
The absolute best lens for durability would be sapphire glass, it's supremely clear and has the best transmittance of any material and is so tough they make shatter resistant windows for armored vehicles with it, this isn't bullet absorbing glass either, literally when a bullet hits the window instead of the windows shattering the bullet shatters and deflects. And the only naturally occuring material harder than sapphire is diamonds.
Another question: Do strike bezels provide more protection for the lens? Not the Klingon looking models like the Solar Force A001, but something a little lower in profile. I ask because I'm thinking of taking the teeth off of my 6PDL and putting them on my C2L, which will be sporting a Malkoff 60 F 20 Degree soon. I'm wondering if the teeth combined with that drop in will create a weird beam edge but I'm thinking it shouldn't be an issue.

vmspb

Newly Enlightened
The absolute best lens for durability would be sapphire glass.
Is there any online store/manufacturer to order a few of sapphire glasses from, for my favorite flashlights at once? They would obviously be of different diameters and thickness.

ypsifly

Enlightened
do You still use the hybrid?

Once in a while. I keep it more for nostalgia. I've thought about upgrading the leds just for fun but the scratched lens would still bother me.

I have much smaller and brighter multi modes made by Surefire and Fenix that outperform the TTC3, but that light will never be retired.

Would love to find someone who does custom sapphire lenses.

ypsifly

Enlightened
Thanks for the link Kiwi! Bookmarked for future projects.

I don't know the exact measurement and the specs on the Streamlight page don't list the size. It only says "unbreakable polycarbonate". I took the bezel off and it looks like it might be glued in or at least held in place by a strip of rubber around the entire edge. I might be able to pop it out, but my mod skills are very basic at best and since this light is sentimental, I don't want to screw around with it until I know exactly what I'm doing and I have a solid replacement in hand.

On a related note, Streamlight lenses have been somewhat of an issue for me. I really like their lights. Great workhorses and the TT series is sort of like a more affordable SF A2 type. I see the Scorpion has a scratch resistant coated polycarb lens. Are these more durable than what the TT series has?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
doh, from what I thought by looking at the pic found with search, that seemed like a bezel to unscrew and then have the glass falling out freely.

If it is still pressed in then (pressed in from the outside), forget glass atm.
Glass can not be compressed or tilted and thus will break.
Only original or similar sized "plastic" remains.