The $6 Luxeon flashlight

zmoz

Enlightened
Well...I was bored tonight so I thought I'd make use of the LS I got on ebay for 6 bucks. It was supposedly a "greeny" but mine appears pretty damn white. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif A few peices of duct tape later and we have this:
luxeon.jpg

Beautiful ain't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'd say it works pretty darn good for 6 bucks. I had a spare 4AA holder from radio shack, filled one of the holes with foil, and am direct driving it with 3 NiMh. Under the LS is a peice of 1/8" steel for a heat sink. Lights up my entire garage...should run about 3 hours. I think I might make a more finished version of it now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

please find a better thermal conducter than steel!
3 nihm batteries on direct drive with aluminum heatsinks is bad enough!!

other than that, very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peltier!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure steel is all that bad, assuming it's thick enough, but putting it flush against the battery pack (no air gap) and covering the other side with duct tape isn't helping...

Heatsinks aren't magic, the heat needs to go someplace else next or things get warmer.....

Doug Owen

zmoz

Enlightened
Well...as you can tell it's obviously not a permanent solution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

zmoz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tree said:
Is that one of those 4 AA holders from Radio Shack?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the topic of cheap/querky/"very home made" Luxeon lights... take a look at this done sometime back.
The heatsink is finned and was obtained from a local electronics store... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3aa_finned_heatsink.jpg

zmoz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
hotbeam said:
On the topic of cheap/querky/"very home made" Luxeon lights... take a look at this done sometime back.
The heatsink is finned and was obtained from a local electronics store... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3aa_finned_heatsink.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif How is it running from what looks like two AAs and a resistor?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 AAs and a resistor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sorry, should have taken the shot from a higher position.

zmoz

Enlightened
Damn...I wish you had a secret way of running it with only two and a resistor... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahhh...... the secret voltage inverter circuit built into the resistor!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Doug Owen said:
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure steel is all that bad, assuming it's thick enough, but putting it flush against the battery pack (no air gap) and covering the other side with duct tape isn't helping...

Heatsinks aren't magic, the heat needs to go someplace else next or things get warmer.....

Doug Owen

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, steel is a decent conducter of heat, but not nearly as good as aluminum.
furthermore, he's overdriving it with 3 rechargable batteries...that is much worse than 3 alkalines.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes! When you're not using it as a light, you can use it to slice tomatoes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wilkey

zmoz

Enlightened
Got out the duct tape again...taped the light to my hat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Makes a GREAT headlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just re-read the first post. Please ignore the stupid question in my previous post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

My attention to detail is sometimes lacking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:

yes, steel is a decent conductor of heat, but not nearly as good as aluminum.
furthermore, he's overdriving it with 3 rechargeable batteries...that is much worse than 3 alkalines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that steel is not as good as Al (I'm not so sure I'll buy 'not nearly as good') but it's far better than nothing (which the Luxeon will survive under the proper conditions, provided it's not wrapped up in insulation...).

However, I cannot agree that NiMH direct drive is "much worse than alkalines". The differences in internal resistances are minor (despite what popular opinion is here, go look it up), say 40 against 150 miliohms per cell from the Duracell specs. Assuming 1 ohm in the Luxeon makes the NiMH 3.6 Volts less 3.4 (mid range J bin) divided by 1.16 ohms 171 mA. For alkaline we have 4.5 less 3.4 divided by 1.6 ohms, 688 mA, nearly four times.

Even assuming a not so realistic 3.0 Vf, we get 517 mA for NiMH, 938 for alkaline. For sure things drop off for the alkaline version quickly as the cells age, but it's the first bit that destroys the LED.

Or so the number seem to say. And that's what happens when I try it.

Have you done the math or tired it?

Doug Owen

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
what i'm saying, is that most people wouldn't be brave enought to try it with a good aluminum heatsink. steel isn't as good as aluminum.
furthermore, from the picture, i'm not able to determine the extent of his heatsinking.

needless to say, it's a nice little light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif