35W or 55W for POB?

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
I am going to try to order a HID kit so I can get my POB up and running again but I'm not sure if I should go with a 35W or 55W kit.

I was going to go with a 55W kit but now I'm not so sure if it is worth the hit on runtime and the extra heat and cost, I'm am also not sure if the onboard electronics can handle the extra current even though it is not much more.

So what would you get and why?

Also is there a recommended place to buy a kit?

I found a place called "Wholesale Xenon Hid" but they look kinda shifty to me, I also found a place called "DMM Tuning" that has a cheap 35W kit for $40 but I don't know anything about them either.

Thanks for any input,
Mike.

BVH

Flashaholic
55 Watt, no question. The additional current is well within the wiring and switch components capabilities in the POB. With most 55 Watt kits, you'll be getting about 42 to 43 Watts to the bulb. Run time will not be reduced very much as compared to 35 watt kits.

I've used Retro-Solutions on Ebay to buy my 55 Watt kits. Had them for almost two years and no issues at all. However, they may not work in your case as they sell in pairs.

Patriot

Flashaholic
+1 to everything that BVH stated.

I would never purchase a "35W" unless all I was going to use it for was to light a room during power outages. 55W kit for everything else.

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys, I'll defiantly go with the 55W kit from DDM since from what I've found people seem to good luck with them and the
Retro-Solutions kits are to far out of my price range.

One more thing, what would be the best color to get? They have 4500K, 5000K and 6000K and so on. I was going to get 5000K since I like as pure white as I can get but the DDM place says that the 55W tends to "washout" colors so I am not sure what to get now.

Thanks for any more input,
Mike.

troller_cpf

Enlightened
but are you going to change the POB standard ballast or not? I mean are you using the electronics for the 35W?

BVH

Flashaholic
The ballast has to be changed in order to get 55 watt power. Power levels go with the ballast, not the bulb as in incans.

I'd definitely go with 5000K. It's my favorite color and is like looking thru diamonds!

troller_cpf

Enlightened
ok, in that regard, I have two questions/doubt:
1) Is the POB ballast a standard style Automotive ballast (classical rectangular)?
2) The POB has got a 6V or 12V battery pack? Because if the battery pack is just 6V, will it match a classical automotive ballast? I mean, automotive 55W ballasts have a fixed 12V input voltage or have a range that can take also 6V?

thanks

Patriot

Flashaholic
ok, in that regard, I have two questions/doubt:
1) Is the POB ballast a standard style Automotive ballast (classical rectangular)?
2) The POB has got a 6V or 12V battery pack? Because if the battery pack is just 6V, will it match a classical automotive ballast? I mean, automotive 55W ballasts have a fixed 12V input voltage or have a range that can take also 6V?

thanks

1) yes, standard automotive rectangular

2) POB is 12V. Any automotive kit you purchase will also be 12V. The wattage isn't important as long as the ballast is 12V as most will be.

With regards to the bulb color temperature, I'd go with 4500K or 5000K. It seems that Asian bulbs usually run slightly cooler than their stated temperatures so make sure you have the option to return if the 5000K ends up being too blue.

Concerning Retro Solutions, you could always purchase the one of their kits and then sell the other half of it over in the CPF Marketplace. 55W ballast kit's with 4200K-5000K bulbs are always a hot item around here.

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys, I decided to put my battery pack on hold and
went ahead and ordered a 55W Slim kit from Retro-Solutions since they seen to be one of the best for "Cheaper" HID kits.

I couldn't decided between 4300K and 5000K so I fliped a coin and the 4300K won....I just hope they will not be to yellow.....oh well, I guess I'll find out in a week.:)

Thanks again,
Mike.

liteitup

Newly Enlightened
seems like you already bought yours but for anyone else dont even bother with the 35 watt kits unless they are a brand name like phillips or hella. all the others arnt putting out anywhere near 35W. i have an ebay ballast that was only using 32 watts input... maybe 24 watts at the bulb. not too bright and the bulb doesnt get anywhere near its true color (as bad as a cool blue halogen).

55watts are the way to go for sure.. they dont output 55w but are atleast around 40 watts to the bulb.

liteitup

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys, I decided to put my battery pack on hold and
went ahead and ordered a 55W Slim kit from Retro-Solutions since they seen to be one of the best for "Cheaper" HID kits.

I couldn't decided between 4300K and 5000K so I fliped a coin and the 4300K won....I just hope they will not be to yellow.....oh well, I guess I'll find out in a week.:)

Thanks again,
Mike.

also if your going to be using that light in the wilderness you will like the 4300k. I had 5000k hid headlights and while they seem pure white they dont have the color rendition in wilderness as much as the 4300k does.. with 4300 grass is nice and green. with the 5000k it was green just not as much color in it.